New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Panasonic G7 or G85?

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic G7 or G85?

I was ready to pull the trigger on the G7 and started noticing the G85.

I do like the IBIS system of the G85, but with an IOS lens the G7 should work just as well. I can get the G7 and at least one lens with my budget but can only get the G85 w/kit lens.

Is there a clear cut advantage with the G85 that dusts the G7? Or, outside the IBIS, can the G7 hold its own up against the G85 and I should take advantage of the savings?

This will be a general purpose camera for the times I don't want to lug around my DSLR gear, mostly used for stills with the occasional video thrown into the mix.

Nov 26, 2016 at 05:55 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic G7 or G85?

Besides IBIS, the G85 is also weather sealed, has the GX85 sensor (16MP sans AA filter), and supports an accessory battery grip. It seems like a higher end camera overall than the G7, though I haven't handled one personally yet. I believe it also fixes the shutter shock issue I've heard some complaints about on the G7. If those things don't matter, then save some cash and get the G7.

Nov 27, 2016 at 04:46 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic G7 or G85?

Eh... changed directions and went with the Canon EOS M5. It wasn't much more in price and in shooting Canon DSLRs for the past 15 years or so I'm familiar with the layout. I did like the 4K video features of the G85 and G7, but video is an "every now and then" thing for me. I can live with the HD video the M5 offers.

I can pick up another M lens down the road and build a nice travel set-up when I don't want to lug the full-sized DSLR around and have the benefit of easily using the EF lenses I already have when needed.

Still... part of me would have liked the adventure of building up another camera system. My bank account and wife on the other hand might not have been as receptive.

Nov 28, 2016 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password