New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

Okay, so I had a problem after buying a 28mm Elmarit-R F/2.8. I put a regular quality lens converter on it, and while it worked fine on all of my other Canon cameras (Rebels and 6D), I would get a "battery error" on my 5DSR. After days of trying to figure out what was causing the error, I pulled the lens off and found that the mirror was getting stuck in the up-position.

After contacting B&H, they sent me a $225 Novoflex lens adapter, stating that this would work correctly for this lens, this camera. It didn't!

In total frustration, I realized that a ring surrounding the rear optics came off, so I unscrewed the ring, put the lens back on and NO MORE ERRORS/NO MORE STUCK MIRROR!

See the photos I attached, but should this happen to anyone in the future, if you unscrew and remove the black ring, this seems to resolve the problem for this specific lens. You don't have to file anything down!

Bill

Lens "as is"

Unscrew the black ring and remove it

Once removed, the back of the lens shouldn't hamper the 5DSR's mirror movement anymore

Nov 26, 2016 at 01:06 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

I hope you have no problem with this issue for the lens. Happy with it on 5DSR?

Nov 26, 2016 at 03:57 AM
next390

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

Thanks for the advice! I will now pay attention to this nuance)
lyft customer service phone number

Edited on Jan 01, 2017 at 05:15 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2016 at 06:54 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

teiki arii wrote:
I hope you have no problem with this issue for the lens. Happy with it on 5DSR?

I thought about that and I too hope not. I may keep the ring on the lens except when I'm using it on the 5DSR, because I use the 6D a lot too. But then again, when the lens is on a camera, it's a pretty sterile field anyway.

And yes, I'm very happy that I'm able to get it to work on the 5DSR because that was the reason I got the lens in the first place, to put a high resolution and super-sharp lens onto a 50mp camera. It would seem like a shame to put it on an 18mp Rebel.

Nov 26, 2016 at 09:50 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

You can't do this! The ring is used to hold the last element in position. Without it, the last element will eventually fall off. This has been discussed before. There are 2 versions of R28/2.8 II. Only one will clear the mirror.

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

phuang3 wrote:
You can't do this! The ring is used to hold the last element in position. Without it, the last element will eventually fall off. This has been discussed before. There are 2 versions of R28/2.8 II. Only one will clear the mirror.

I was wondering about this. Whether or not a Leica R lens can be mounted successfully on a Canon DSLR depends on the design of the mirror box for the body in question. I had no problems with my Elmarit-R 28/2.8 II on the 1Ds and 1Ds Mark II.

The Leica DB at Pebble Place lists compatibility of Leica R lenses with Canon bodies but that data doesn't include the 5DSR.

Nov 27, 2016 at 01:10 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

Only this version will clear the mirror. Last element is floating element, it need the ring to hold it.

http://www.pbase.com/phuang3/image/109398994/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/phuang3/image/109398995/original.jpg

Nov 27, 2016 at 06:46 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Elmarit-R Lens & Canon 5DSR Camera Conflicts

I am lucky. I have changed my original mount on Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8 E55 ROM for Leitax/Pentax mount and it doesn't touch the Pentax K-1's mirror...

Nov 27, 2016 at 07:14 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.