Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

What to get my stepdaughter?

EddiD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to get my stepdaughter?

My stepdaughter has been getting more and more into photography. While I do know a bit, this topic isn't my strong suit (I prefer shooting sports). She's very adept at taking indoor sport shots and basic outdoor portraits. But, some of her shots, and she would agree, could use better lighting. Even with her limitations, she was able to take a Silver Key award in the Colorado Scholastic Art & Writing 2016 and also had many of her photos in their 2015 yearbook. Being that this is a surprise, I am not able to get any sample shots. But, for example, she took some shots of her friend and her boyfriend. The boyfriend was wearing a cowboy hat. While the shot wasn't bad, his face could have used more light due to the hat creating a shadow on his face. She wants to get into taking senior photos. Her current setup is a Canon T3i and her favorite lens, is an 85mm 1.8 we bought her last year. She does not have any kind of external flash, lights or even a reflector.

My question: Which direction would be a good next step? External flash, off camera lighting or reflector? Or a combination of those? She prefers to shoot outdoors, but if she could use it indoors, that would be a great. I would like to keep spending somewhere in the $500 range if possible.

Thanks in advance
Eddi

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:41 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Start with reflectors in the sun. By reflector, I mean large pieces of cardboard (matte white and also gray). Cost should be about zero. Position reflectors with friends, or creative propping. The rationale is learning light with the best continuous light source. After that, she'll be ready to move into flash with some idea of her preferred directions.

Nov 26, 2016 at 01:24 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to get my stepdaughter?

I agree with reflectors, but would suggest collapsible just because they're not really expensive and you can fold them up and make them easier to carry. Just picked up a 5 in 1 32" reflector for ~$16.

Other than that, I would suggest a strobe of some sort. I know people swear by speedlights but I've never been a fan. Personal preference though. That being said, you can get a single Alien Bee for ~$200, and the Vagabond battery pack for ~$100 (used prices). A stand, cheap softbox or two, and wireless triggers can be had for less than the remaining $200. You could use it indoors and outdoors, and they're super easy to figure out.

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:26 AM
story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Here's a one-light starter kit I quickly put together for you. These are not pro components, but should work well during her learning of flash photography. This list will stay well within your $500 limit, but make sure to double check the flash and trigger compatibility with the 3ti. There are other comparable components that will work fine as well so feel free to subsititute.

Light stand with speedlight cold shoe and umbrella. She can buy different umbrellas and they're cheaper than softboxes. Once she unerstands more about OCF, she can start adding softboxes, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/StudioPRO-Speedlight-Bracket-Translucent-Umbrella/dp/B00PLEX4N0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1480167728&sr=8-13&keywords=light+stands+and+umbrella

Collapsible 5-way reflector -
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-43-inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480168160&sr=8-3&keywords=collapsible+reflector

Yongnuo speedlight - YN568EX-II
https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-568EX-4-Channel-Speedlite-Cameras/dp/B00DB21TCM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480170597&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=yongnuo+flash+canon+3ti

2 Yongnuo Radio Transceivers - YN622C -
https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Transceiver/dp/B0090BSSZO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480169294&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=yn-468+trigger+canon+3ti

Finally, 2 books that will help her better understand light and portraits -

Lighting Notebood - Kevin Kobata

Light: Science and Magic - Fil Hunter

Nov 26, 2016 at 02:50 PM
EddiD

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I knew he reflector would be first, but not knowing much about 'studio' lighting, these suggestions will help.

story_teller - the speedlight goes on the umbrella stand controlled by the transceiver..correct?

-Eddi-

Nov 27, 2016 at 01:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaplah
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to get my stepdaughter?

I suggest that you and your daughter have a look at this online resource, then decide what type of lighting would be best to start:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

The writer is well-regarded; the only point on which I materially disagree is remote control of power. It's very useful, although not necessary.

Nov 27, 2016 at 03:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Aside from gear, buy her Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. This is THE bible when it comes to photographic lighting.

I'd also look at Shooting in Sh*tty Light by Lindsay Adler which does a great job at comparing different lighting techniques for common situations encountered outside. It is all people/portrait based and from what you describe in your post could be ideal for her.

On the learning side, learning lighting in the controlled environment of a studio (or makeshift one ie. somewhere where lights won't bounce everywhere) is much easier as you have full control. Once they understand how light works/behaves and typical set-ups used natural light on location becomes so much easier as they know what they are trying to achieve and it becomes a case of recognising the same techniques but using the sun/sky and other reflective things around. Trying to learn the other way is much more difficult even if it is wysiwyg. Any flash on location should be left until last since dealing with what is especially a double exposure (flash + ambient).

kaplah wrote:
The writer is well-regarded; the only point on which I materially disagree is remote control of power. It's very useful, although not necessary.

Yes, on this it is quite dated. I have no use for TTL off cameraut when the flash is at the top of a stand or inside a softbox remote power control is very useful. Godox flash with built in transceiver and lithium battery is 145 so there is no reason to not have it really.

Nov 27, 2016 at 07:26 PM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Yes, you would mount one transceiver on the hot shoe of the camera and then the other transceiver would mount on the cold shoe of the stand. The speedlight would mount on top of the transceiver.

Nov 27, 2016 at 07:55 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to get my stepdaughter?

Unless, of course, the receiver is built into the flash (as with the godox system).

Nov 28, 2016 at 01:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password