Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Just putting my 2 cents out there...

I, for one, have added a drone or two to my photography tool box. I've love to be able to share drone thoughts and ideas, as they relate to photography, here on FM.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Edited on Nov 26, 2016 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:49 PM
BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Holy smoke, I hope not! That type of behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

John

Nov 26, 2016 at 07:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Try "Mustang Air To Air" thread...I too hope not..most have become an abcess like the "selfie stick". Yes there is a place for them but a dedicated forum?
Dan

Nov 26, 2016 at 02:30 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

BluesWest wrote:

John

Exactly what type of behaviour are you talking about? Seems a little closed minded.

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:26 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

The alt forum is probably your best bet...or possibly the general forum. I'm interested in drone photography for possibly real estate photos

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:28 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

BluesWest wrote:

John

John,

"Type of behavior"?

There are many serious professional "ground-based" photographers using drones as a tool to get the shot which most fully expresses the image/feeling/project they want to get across to the audience.

If flown in a responsible manner (and my impression is that FM-ers, as a rule, are quite responsible folks), drones are a wonderful photography tool.

In fact, by adding a drone seection to FM, we, as FM-ers (if I dare call myself one), can help to show how drones can be used, responsibly (I assume this is your issue with drones?) to create some beautiful, inspiring work.

--

Bill

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:30 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Danpbphoto wrote:
Try "Mustang Air To Air" thread...I too hope not..most have become an abcess like the "selfie stick". Yes there is a place for them but a dedicated forum?
Dan

Dan,

Or maybe a dedicated section? For professional photographers (or those trying to be).

As a matter of fact, and not that I claim to know every forum that's out there by any means, but I think there's a real NEED for a drone forum/section that leans toward the needs/techniques/etc, of the semi-professional or professional photographer.

Don't forget...even if a new section were to be created, no one will be forced to read it!

Heck, I almost never feel a need to go into the Canon forum, but that doesn't mean I'd vote against it.

--

Bill

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:35 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Exactly what type of behavior are you talking about?

The type of behavior involving the use of a device that is not only a public nuisance and an invasion of privacy, but potentially life-threatening to innocent bystanders. I would like to see these things banned, or at least severely restricted in use. To that end, I hope camera forums don't encourage drone owners and allow them to become "normalized". Let them start their own websites.

John

Nov 26, 2016 at 05:10 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

BluesWest wrote:
The type of behavior involving the use of a device that is not only a public nuisance and an invasion of privacy, but potentially life-threatening to innocent bystanders. I would like to see these things banned, or at least severely restricted in use. To that end, I hope camera forums don't encourage drone owners and allow them to become "normalized". Let them start their own websites.

John

John...that same argument can be made about anything...cars...knives, etc. Anything can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. And heck, many said the same things about privacy when the original cameras were invented.

For starters the Federal Aviation Administration has put out guidelines/laws for their use, to protect, like you said, privacy issues (which were actually already protected by previous law), and safety issues to bystanders, etc.

When I took those couple photos at the top of this thread, I wasn't a nuisance to anyone, nor did I present a danger to anyone.

But beyond that, the "section" here in FM would be targeted basically at photographer enthusiasts, professionals, etc, (like ALL the sections on FM) as a way to help creative enthusiasts and professionals get the best use out of a photographic piece of hardware that quite obviously is not going to go away, no matter that there are some/many folks out there using them irresponsibly.

Like I said, if anything, FM can be a guidepost in showing how drones can be used responsibly and to great artistic effect.

John, I get your basic feelings about drones in general...they are of course valid...I worry about those things too too...and in fact have witnessed some folks using their drones in irresponsible ways.

But...

You post is basically saying that YOUR FELLOW FM-ERS can't be trusted to be responsible.

Not exactly a compliment.

--

Bill

Nov 26, 2016 at 05:51 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

BluesWest wrote:

John

Ah... so you're one of those guys.

I suppose you also consider airplanes a nuisance? Helicopters? Cars? Motorcyles? Bicycles? Guns? Knives? Baseballs? Footballs? Tennis rackets? Loud music? Pet dogs? All can either be annoying, dangerous or both when mis-used.

You're a bit late to the "ban them!" discussion. Drones are completely normalized. We even have our own section of the Code of Federal Regulations and FAA airman certificate. There are plenty of web sites devoted to them as well, but that doesn't mean a drone section on FM would be out of place. There are Canon camera forums as well, but FM has a Canon section.

In short, you can yell "get off my lawn" and rage against drones all you want... but you're just making yourself look like a luddite and fool. They're here, they're incredibly useful as a creative tool, very very safe when flown responsibly (safer than full-scale helicopters in many cases) and usage is only going to increase as time goes on.

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

I vote no.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Bill, FWIW, I think your best approach would be to create a thread on the Alt-forum and invite some of your fellow drone photogs (if that's a fair appellation) to show up there to post their photos. The two photos you put up here offered to me a FOV and perspective that I could only get when I was flying general aviation and then I was too damn busy flying the plane to appreciate the beauty around me. And those two pictures are just beautiful IMHO.

Also FWIW, I agree completely with you as well as with jbregar regarding the responsible use of your photographic platform. Any tool can be misused, whatever it is. And I also second the notion that showing the responsible use of the tool can go a long way to contributing to others using said tool responsibly.

So, I'd recommend that you start up a thread on the Alt Forum (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55) by posting your solid pics there and by soliciting others to post their pictures as well. You could label your thread as something like "Official Drone Photography" thread. You could also establish parameters or requirements for the equipment that would be suitable for posting on your thread, much as others here who have started up such dedicated threads. cf, eg., CGrindahl's dedicated thread on requiring the use of Nikon MF lenses.

I think that taking that approach would pique the enthusiasm of others here who have had the experience of being at altitude but unable to take photographic advantage of it. I know it did excite me to see your work and to learn how you did it. So, were I you, I'd just do it....you can always ask later for forgiveness. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you've done photographically, learning about what equipment you've used, etc. HTH

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:06 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Any of you all who might be interested in at least one aspect of drone platformed video/photography, you can google Philadelphia Drone Video and Photography. I am in no way affiliated with this group other than that I live in the City right across the street from the Art Museum - and, no, I didn't feel as though my privacy was invaded when this group did their drone based video

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:23 AM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

anthonysemone wrote:
So, I'd recommend that you start up a thread on the Alt Forum (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55) by posting your solid pics there and by soliciting others to post their pictures as well. You could label your thread as something like "Official Drone Photography" thread.

Thanks for those kind words of encouragement Anthony, as well as your impressions of my photos

I too am a general aviation pilot...the marriage of my passion for photography with my love of flying, makes drone photography a wonderful creative outlet for me.

--

Bill

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

Drones are arguably a curiosity for locals here, and therefore far less annoying than me standing in front of you with a 1DX.

Though I do share reservations about the pilots*, not the devices.

Drone Forum is go!

*Some of whom are real geezers.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

There's the platform we used for a video locally. I don't own the thing, but it was definitely neat to watch the team using it.

Professionals that understand flight, balance, and staying in your airspace, not invading other people's privacy, and following rules, ok.

Amateurs who think they can do anything anywhere without consequences, like flying in the flight path of a medical rescue flight causing them to delay landing with their patient.... flying where forbidden, using one to peep in high rise apartment windows

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:26 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/28/sci-fi-looking-drone-gun-can-take-drone-1-2-miles-away/

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:31 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

BluesWest wrote:

John

Talk about narrow-minded.

Nov 29, 2016 at 05:44 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Possibility of a "drone" section?

So hey guys...I did start an "official" drone photography thread...while still, of course, wanting to work for a section

Here is the thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462449

--

Bill

Nov 29, 2016 at 05:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password