New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Looking for a speedlight with high output

elv000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Yes the AD360II are still 3.66 pounds with the reflector, battery pack, and 2 into 1 cord.

I've been harassing Godox to do a fully cordless version for some time now, which would reduce the weight and packing size etc, but they have been really slow to respond with this.

If travelling I would personally rig up my own set up for now, strapping the battery and flash together and doing away with the cords.

In any case they would still have to be one of the best power-size-weight options available.

The Streaklight 360 TTL special is still available right now for just $349.95, which is normally the price of the manual version. The advantage is not just TTL, they have the 2.4GHz radio transceiver built inside which alone is a big advantage in convenience.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

elv000 wrote:
I've been harassing Godox to do a fully cordless version for some time now, which would reduce the weight and packing size etc, but they have been really slow to respond with this.

Entire battery pack in a hotshoe flash? The AD600 has this and it's not small because of it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:42 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

elv000 wrote:

I'm not surprised.. Capacitors, electronics and battery all at the top of a stand? Having the capacitors alone in the head make this worthy of avoiding. Use the weight low, with battery, capacitors, electronics and you have ready made ballast.

Nov 30, 2016 at 04:50 PM
elv000

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Mark_L wrote:
Entire battery pack in a hotshoe flash? The AD600 has this and it's not small because of it.

The AD360/II is already too big and heavy to be mounted on a camera hotshoe in most situations even with the separate battery.

(The main thing the hotshoe is still good for is attaching other TTL triggers (like the Phottix Canon RT compatible Laso receivers for example)).

If you have a look at what SMDV have done with the coming BRiHT 360 its a good indication of what could have been done by Godox themselves -

A flash this size is by no means too large, heavy, or cumbersome to be completely cordless, and being all one unit it saves size and weight.

Though even SMDV already have a remote bulb option so you have the best both worlds options again.

If this was a Godox flash at Godox pricing I have no doubt whatsoever it would outsell the AD600 and AD360/II by quite a margin.

It needs a well designed and removable Bowens mount and swivel incorporated into the original design, but that is very doable as well.

The hardest part is just getting Godox to see sense. If it wasn't for Flashpoint recently putting their buying power behind coercing Godox I would have given up hope.

Nov 30, 2016 at 05:59 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

ukphotographer wrote:
I'm not surprised.. Capacitors, electronics and battery all at the top of a stand? Having the capacitors alone in the head make this worthy of avoiding. Use the weight low, with battery, capacitors, electronics and you have ready made ballast.

Yeah this is my rationale too, carrying a bigger stand and ballast is a total waste. It is also much easer for an assistant to move around holding it too and if it ever hits the deck the whole thing isn't toast. For some reason some people like the battery monolight thing to save about 10 seconds in setup.

Edited on Dec 01, 2016 at 12:00 AM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:41 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Mark_L wrote:
Yeah this is my rationale too, arrying a bigger stand and ballast is a total waste. It is also much easer for an assistant to move around holding it too and if it ever hits the deck the whole thing isn't toast. For some reason some people like the battery monolight thing to save about 10 seconds in setup.

Sheep... Baa-aaa-aaa.

The more weight on the top of the stand, the more substantial stand you need. correct.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:55 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

I like this thread. elv000, do you know how much that one is going to be?
Also are there any small battery packs to use with Godox (or similar) when you don't need all the power that the included battery provides?

There are high power speedlights like the ones by Cheetah (which I guess are made by Godox) which are much more expensive. I don't know what the difference is.

One thing I hate about LP180R is that when used with HSS it takes it a long time to recharge. If it gets hot then.... I hope the Godox is not like that.

Nov 30, 2016 at 09:47 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

pixlepeeper wrote:
Also are there any small battery packs to use with Godox (or similar) when you don't need all the power that the included battery provides?

There are high power speedlights like the ones by Cheetah (which I guess are made by Godox) which are much more expensive. I don't know what the difference is.

One thing I hate about LP180R is that when used with HSS it takes it a long time to recharge. If it gets hot then.... I hope the Godox is not like that.
...Show more

1) the PB-820 is the smaller version of the PB-960
2) any flash that does HSS is going to take it's full time to recharge, whatever that is, and get hot.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elv000

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

pixlepeeper wrote:

...Show more

The SMDV gear is Korean and not particularly inexpensive. I'm not sure on the BRiHT 360 yet, though I think they will be aiming for around $1000 mark in the US. SMDV/Rimlite are on the ball though, and have some very cool things coming.

Virtually all the Godox gear is currently the same regardless of who they are rebranded by, though Flashpoint have been doing their best to improve things. Most of that flows on to the Godox and other branded products, though some things like a new reflector for the AD600B / XPLOR they have having made separately. They also include things like the carry case with the XPLOR which the Godox and others don't supply.

Flashpoint also exclusively sell the TTL version of the AD600B/XPLOR in the USA. Other US dealers only have the manual version available.

The original AD360 was actually limited to just 10 consecutive shots at full power in HSS. So this is another one of the things that improved quite a bit with the AD360II. I think its around 30 consecutive shots now at full power, though keep in mind these are considerably more powerful than a speedlite.

(AD360II sale is still on at Adorama, so at least right now you can get the MKII for the manual flash price).

Regarding the battery pack, you really want the PB960, and the 2 into 1 cord which reduces recycle time by half (around 2 seconds). The PB960 is not very heavy at all, referring to it as ballast is a bit of joke. Packs like the PB820S only have one port, therefore double the recycle time.

Pixel HK did just announce a tiny Li-on battery pack which also has the 5 volt power supply needed to power the flash interface of a strobe like the AD360 (which have no batteries inside to power the interface). So that tiny unit should actually power the AD360/II. How practical it will be in terms or recycle times and pops remains to be seen, though it could be interesting if needing to travel really light.

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:00 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

I've been using Nikon SB-25 units that I pick up for about fifty bucks. The 360 looks like it would really work well for my "projects" as they give two more stops. That would easily let me shoot my 4x5 with ISO 400 film (and f8.) However, I need about eight of them. Eight SB-25 are no big deal. Eight of th 360 would be nearly $3,000! I could simply buy eight more SB-25 and double them up for another ~$400 and get one more stop.

Kent in SD

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Two23 wrote:
I've been using Nikon SB-25 units that I pick up for about fifty bucks. The 360 looks like it would really work well for my "projects" as they give two more stops. That would easily let me shoot my 4x5 with ISO 400 film (and f8.) However, I need about eight of them. Eight SB-25 are no big deal. Eight of th 360 would be nearly $3,000! I could simply buy eight more SB-25 and double them up for another ~$400 and get one more stop.

Kent in SD

What projects are you shooting that need 8 separate lights? I'm intrigued.

I can't imagine controlling the power of 8 flashes manually, dealing with the slow recycle if they are at high power and zillions of AA batteries. You best bet is probably a mix of AD360s and V860 (or whatever the new one is) which can use the same radio system and give more capacity/faster recycle with the lithium battery.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:32 PM
jharter
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Large format film and speed lights? Not sure what the subject matter is but you would need the speed light very close to the subject, etc. f8 is pretty shallow depth of field on a 4x5 and focusing would be difficult if you otherwise need flash but have no modeling light. I think you need one of the larger units mentioned earlier if you really want to use large format film.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:41 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Mark_L wrote:
I can't imagine controlling the power of 8 flashes manually,

Agreed. Sounds like a job for a bunch of DigiBee DB800 units, and a Cyber Commander.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:15 PM
elv000

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Sounds like an artistic "project".

Though some people use a number of speedlites for shooting real estate, so that was my first thought.

The V850 would certainly be easier to manage. Its no fun dealing with AA batteries for that many flashes.

Dec 02, 2016 at 03:09 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

elv000 wrote:
The V850 would certainly be easier to manage. Its no fun dealing with AA batteries for that many flashes.

for a "regular" flash, 8 x 4AA (flash) + 8*2AAA (external triggers) == 48 batteries. Which implies two or three 8-position smart chargers, maybe more, which adds considerable expense as well. Even if external triggers aren't needed, it's a lot of batteries.

Dec 03, 2016 at 12:00 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

I think Kent shoots trains at night.

8 lights is reasonable. Lugging them to site would be an issue along with a 4x5 and tripod so the SB-25's have an advantage there. I believe there were some AB's in Kent's arsenal at some point working in extreme low temperature too?

Given the time to set up, at night, at a reasonable distance, f8 should be OK using the camera shift(s)

Adding 8 more SB-25's at $50 each would cost $400 for an extra +1 stop. Compared to $3,000 for +2 there is a definite cost advantage.

I would still say the Lumedynes would be ideally suitable for the OP's requirements... Cost/Output/Size/Durability/Reliability/Support/Practicallity even Kent would find them useful (apart from the weight) :-)

Possibly the point would be to start with a versatile system and then grow it until it could handle anything (that you would possibly encounter).

Dec 03, 2016 at 12:42 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password