New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Looking for a speedlight with high output

Pianisimo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Hi all, I'm about to embark on a long trip and need to bring a light or two with me. I would love to bring a Profoto B1, but due to size (and price) it's not feasible.

I need something battery-powered, small, and strong. I can't find a good resource for this online, guide numbers don't seem to be accurate. Flashes that I'm looking at include the SB-800, SB-910, and models by Yongnuo, Neewer, etc. I happen to have a Nikon DSLR but will also be using it with Hasselblad digital and large format film. I've toyed with the idea of something like an Alienbee and a battery pack, but I might be using the light handheld, and the Alienbee might even be too large to bring with me. I really don't have much room.

I only need it to work on manual mode, and have a coverage as wide as 35mm (on a 35mm camera). Modeling light and PC sync input strongly preferred. Can you recommend me anything?

Nov 25, 2016 at 06:23 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Guide numbers are fine as long as you compare apples-to-apples (e.g., 35mm @ISO 100).

Having said that, all of the top-line speedlights have about the same output as an SB-900 (~60ws). The only way to increase that is to get a quite-large "speedlight" like a Godox AD360II with an external battery pack (PB-960). This will be somewhat more compact than an Alienbee.

No "speedlight" has a modelling light, but some are compatible with the Nikon-body "Modeling Flash" function which will give you a brief, ~1s, burst to at least aim with. The AD360II will do this, as will the SB-900 and Godox V860II - but not, of course, with your Hasselblad.

Nov 25, 2016 at 01:28 PM
Pianisimo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Thanks. I have not seen the Godox (although I have seen the older Quantum Qflashes it copies) and that's definitely what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll pick one up. If I don't need TTL, should I just get the original one?

Are you sure the AD360II will give a modeling flash function? It looks like just a bare bulb with no such ability and I couldn't find any info about it. But I might be able to get by without it.

Nov 25, 2016 at 03:46 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

It is just a bare bulb; the "Modeling Flash" is a Nikon feature that does not use a modeling lamp.

On the pro and prosumer Nikon bodies, there is a feature called 'Modeling Flash' that bursts the flash for about one second, which is enough time, mostly, to see what the light is going to do. It works with CLS-compatible speedlights, and that includes the AD360II.

The speedlight needs to be either directly connected (on-cam or cord), or connected via CLS (which the AD360II-N supports, in confined areas), or with an RF trigger system that fully supports CLS (the Godox X1T-N transmitter does). The "modeling flash" feature will not work with a simple trigger.

From the D500 manual:
"Modeling Illumination
CLS-compatible flash units emit a modeling flash when the camera Pv
button is pressed. This feature can be used with Advanced Wireless
Lighting to preview the total lighting effect achieved with multiple
flash units.
"

Of course, you did not say which Nikon body you have so I don't know if your body supports this. But you can check your manual - search for "modeling flash", spelled that way.

Nov 25, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

SB-910 all the way, powerful, durable, reliable, and it will work seamlessly with your Nikon. You have to use it in manual with your other cameras though.

Nov 25, 2016 at 08:25 PM
Pianisimo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Hmm. I have a D800. To be honest TTL is not necessary for the work I do. The SB-910 is a very capable flash, but from the few times I have used one, the menu was a little excessive and I often wonder if the 3rd party flashes will do the trick.

Regardless, a lot of things about the AD360 appeal to me - the ~300-360 watt output and bare bulb design are both awesome, I need something powerful with light modification options. I'm indifferent about the external battery pack. My only concerns are the size and price. I thought the SB-910 was big and this is surely a lot bigger.

I will weigh my options, thank you both for your help!

Nov 26, 2016 at 01:56 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but it seem to me that Alienbees are cheaper than any high powered speedlights such as the Godox.

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:30 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

pixlepeeper wrote:
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but it seem to me that Alienbees are cheaper than any high powered speedlights such as the Godox.

Not quite, because the OP would also need a battery (VML) that adds another $240.

Nov 26, 2016 at 03:18 PM
elv000

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

There is currently a killer deal on the Adorama Flashpoint Streaklight 360 TTL (Godox AD360II) for Canon and Nikon for $349.95.

For 24 hours only!

Nov 26, 2016 at 05:27 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Metz 60CT2 or CT4 (I prefer the CT4, which has a small -forward aiming - fill in flash next to the main, 90 degree upward and 180 backward, movable main flash)

GN 60 ( or 197 in feet) vs eg the SB800's 38 ( or 125 in feet) at ISO 100 and 35 degrees

Pre digital age flash units, so in a DSLR only to be used in Manual (from full power to 1/64th)or Auto mode (choose, depending from distance to subject, ISO and Dof desired, a aperture on the flash, dial that in on the lens, and trust the metering cell in the flash to give a correct amount of lighting) mode, so no iTTL.

Dry fit batteries can still be found, and there even is a higher capacity Li-on alternative for sale on eBay (I have one, works flawlessly)

I still have two 60CT4's (from my film shooting days) despite also using SB800/910's, basically serve as cheap alternative (as I rarely use that kind of lighting) on location units (rated at 200 WS each) rather then more modern, and way more expensive, battery powered units.

I can trigger them wireless with my PW TT5's )via the hotshoe), and after some creative DIY also use them with the reflectors, softboxes etc from my Bowens Gemini units, so they have gotten a 2nd life

Nov 26, 2016 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ibcj
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

elv000 wrote:
There is currently a killer deal on the Adorama Flashpoint Streaklight 360 TTL (Godox AD360II) for Canon and Nikon for $349.95.

For 24 hours only!

This is a great deal and it comes with the R2 transceiver so you can control the light. Anyone interested, better act fast.

Nov 26, 2016 at 06:39 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

The godox AD360 sounds like exactly what you are after; it is a speedlight-style strobe with 360ws. All the better speedlights are pretty much exactly the same power output (70-80ws).

I used to use one of the big metz flashes Paul_K talks about but they are only 130ws, slow recycle and very dated in terms of wireless options, mounting etc. as you'd expect. The bare bulb attachment is also very rare.

Nov 27, 2016 at 07:14 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

In this situation I would take a 400Ws Lumedyne with small battery packed with 3.4mah cells.

No TTL (but possible), great modelling light (real bulb, no restriction of use apart from battery duration), PC sync input.

Nov 27, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

try looking at the elichrome quadra 2 light kit

Nov 27, 2016 at 09:50 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

+1 for the lumedyne. You can pick them up on eBay for cheap. They are a full-function strobe. I've used them for years in my sports photo business. Some units will go from 6-400 w/s, with boosters (and the right flash tube) up to 2400w/s. You can also get the batteries re-celled at batteries plus. No TTL for the basic units, but the OP said that wasn't an issue...

I've used them for gym strobes, and Team & Individual jobs with great success.

Nov 28, 2016 at 06:01 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

The menu is extensive on the SB-910 if you need it. But once you have it set up the way you like it, you will probably use the mode and flash compensation buttons and that's it. I think you'll regret traveling with anything much larger, unless you need more power than this model affords.

It would also be helpful if you say what you plan to shoot.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:40 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

there are some good deals right now on the streaklight 360 from adorama. I bought one last year during the sale and it is indeed a nice powerful light that is more portable

Nov 29, 2016 at 02:24 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

Yeah, I'd get a 360. I have just got one to compliment my Godox v860n guns, and its quite a big step up in power

Nov 29, 2016 at 03:47 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

I guess it depends on how you define portable for travel. Whether it's a Quantum or a knock-off Adorama Streklight, it's still almost 4 lbs with the battery, and will take up two to three times more space in your camera bag. But if you need more power than an SB-910 you'll have to compromise

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:09 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a speedlight with high output

As far as I can tell you're only semi-compact options are any one of the various brands that the Godox AD360ii is released under, or multiple speedlights. I sometimes use 4 LumoPro LP160s on a 4-flash mount and they pack quite a punch. Pound for pound, though, the 360 is probably your best bet.

Nov 29, 2016 at 09:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password