FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

To include or not to include, that's the question.

I have included them in most wedding packages in the past. But I'm considering dropping them in lieu of a price increase.

Nov 23, 2016 at 05:11 PM
t4haughton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

Many of my couples are traveling to Chicago for their wedding and often times they'll want to shoot in their current location for a mix of pictures. If I can't convince them to fly me in, it can become a hang up.

Obviously it's a great way to get the couple used to the feel of how I work and practice "being cute together." In my experience, the wedding day portraiture is better when we've already worked together.

I currently include a session in two of my three collections, but I'm considering swapping that for more spreads in their book, or changing price spreads.

Nov 23, 2016 at 05:36 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

What do you mean by free? If it is always included surely it isn't free it is just something they got for the money they pay. Do you throw this in as free to try and close the sale or something?

Nov 24, 2016 at 07:31 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

I mean included, complementary…etc.

Nov 24, 2016 at 07:57 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

I have a five package approach, only the first one doesn't have an e-session included. It depends how you built your packages. My hourly rate never changes, but the à la carte items drop in prices the more hours you book. If I included the e-session in everything it would have made staggering the packages more difficult.

The first two years we included it in everything on the basis that the e-session is really important to forge the bonds, break the ice, etc. I also booked fewer weddings. I don't feel like doing 30 free e-sessions a year anymore, especially not since I've become a dad.

This year only a single couple had a package without one and I ended up giving it to them for free in the end because I liked them so much (we both worship Yoda as our principal deity). I've also started grabbing dinner after the e-session, which makes it even more fun (and a deductible experience).

On my end, I feel the e-session makes a huge difference on the final result because of how more comfortable people are around me afterwards. I remember reading you didn't like them and often the groom made no effort to dress up and it was just a chore. If this is representative of the majority of your e-sessions, I would only offer it in the top 2 packages (assuming 4 or 5 packages) or just the top package (if you have 3).

Nov 24, 2016 at 08:39 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's your argument for/against a free engagement session

I include the engagement session with every wedding I book. I do it for a few reasons.

1. Most every couple wants an engagement sessions and most photographers charge for this session. By having it included in my packages it gives me a little more of an edge when the couple is comparing photographers and prices.

2. I want to get to know my clients before hand. I want to build a relationship and have them trust me at their wedding. The engagement session is a great way to do this. I can explain that to them all I want but if I am going to charge extra for it all the couple is going to see is the price tag not the advantages. I find that when I do an engagement session with my clients it REALLY helps the wedding day go by a lot smoother and without the need for a lot of convincing when I am asking them to do things that might sound a little weird or out of the box.

3. It really helps the groom. A LOT! More times than not I deal with the bride for most of the booking process. Sure I will meet with the groom as well but he is usually just along for the ride. I often hear how the groom doesn't like photos, isnt going to enjoy taking photos, just wants to party, etc. By doing the engagement session I can get the groom to loosen up, have some fun and realize doing photos really isnt that bad and can actually be enjoyable.

4. It helps me learn the couple. Like I said before about the couple trusting me and my process I need to learn about them as well. Everyone has "a good side" or "I dont like _____ part of my body" or has ideas about what makes them look good but really doesnt. I can break bad habits, learn how to get them out of their shell, make them laugh, see how far I can push the envelope with them before they say "no". To me is me building a cheat sheet for the couple and knowing what I can and cant get away with when doing their photos on the wedding day.

All of these reasons are worth a LOT more to me than a couple hundred dollars.

Dec 03, 2016 at 12:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.