New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rome, and Italy in January

3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rome, and Italy in January

Just booked a trip to Italy for January. I am trying to decide which kit to take:

Sony A6500 10-18, 16-70 and 55FE
or A7R2, 10-18, 28F2, 55FE and 90 Macro

I also have a 70-200F4 I am considering as well, but I want to travel light for this trip.

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:18 AM
cmplaya
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rome, and Italy in January

both kits sound light to me...

Nov 25, 2016 at 08:56 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rome, and Italy in January

Not sure if it is relevant but Im headed to Rome next week and I decided on my A7ii along with the 16-35 and the 55.

Dec 01, 2016 at 09:14 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rome, and Italy in January

If you want semi-informed opinions it would be helpful to state the areas you are visiting and the type of photography you prefer. With that in mind...

Unless you are headed to the Alps or Tuscany, or have a very specific shooting style, leave the 70-200 at home. I don't know what the differences between the two bodies are, or why the lenses would not be interchangeable. If this was me I would go 10-18, 16-70, and 90 macro, with the 90 intended to provide a bit of a tele option. I assume the 55FE is a really fast normal lens, for which I personally have little use, but I practically never shoot people or much in the midrange either.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:06 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rome, and Italy in January

A few years back we went to Italy in February with only an NEX-6 with the 16-50 and I'd think the 10-18, 16-70 and 90 is a good fit but not sure I wouldn't go with the 70-200/4 over the 90. I missed having a wider option and longer option at times but the 16-70 on the aps-c will likely handle much of your needs (guessing that this is not an intensive photo trip) and that your kit fits better with the aps-c camera (or would for me).

One of the problems you'd likely find would be the nice range of a 3 lens kit carries with it the hassle of needing to swap them around. The 70-200 is a bit hefty but could be pretty handy at times.

The A6500 is faster and more responsive (than my NEX-6/16-50 combo) and the 16-70 (I think) doesn't have the problem of retracting when off/sleeping which was a problem for quick shots a couple of times. If I had the A7r2 I'd want a mid-range zoom for a trip like this, but that's my interests for travel and may not be everybody's first choice, of course.

Dec 03, 2016 at 01:19 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.