Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

kdacharya
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

The cubs were very skittish and nervous, and that was apparent in the way they were moving in and out of the grasses and into the bamboo undergrowth. They did not give me a chance at getting good shots like the mom did, who was very relaxed yet alert at the same time. Male tigers kill the cubs so that the female comes in estrus so that they can mate. Females mate with multiple males and use that as a means for ensuring the safety and survival of the cubs. The females will carefully place the cubs in a sheltered place away from the roaming males and eventually either lure the male away or hunt for prey and come back to the cubs. If the female cannot find the cub, her body language and tension is visible. However if she is calling the cubs, she uses a very different growl/purr to call them and to encourage them to come to her
Here's the set up:
when our jeep got in position on the path, one of the cubs was already in the undergrowth on the left side of the path. mom and another cub were on the right side. Mom crossed over to the left side in a leisurely fashion, right behind our jeep (the first post), followed by a very nervous cub. They all have a brief get together in the undergrowth at the left side. You can see how well camouflaged they are. Mom walks out and calls the cubs and waits. the younger one slowly edges in and meets the mom. welcomed by a licking. there is some commotion in the other jeeps and the cubs slink back in. slowly they get back and the family crosses over to the other side.
Please note that some of the pics are posted only for the story, not for the IQ

© kdacharya 2016

© kdacharya 2016

© kdacharya 2016

© kdacharya 2016

© kdacharya 2016

Edited on Nov 23, 2016 at 08:31 AM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:20 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

6-10

Edited on Nov 23, 2016 at 06:27 AM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:30 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

11-15

Edited on Nov 23, 2016 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:34 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Great series Kd

Nov 23, 2016 at 05:53 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

What a treat to be able to see let alone photograph baby tigers! Catching a glimpse of these would have taken my breath away and you captured them really as best as possible. Very nice photos, and I am sure, a memory to last a lifetime!
Eric

Nov 23, 2016 at 06:48 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Awesome set KD, it must have been quite the experience.

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:26 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

बहुत बदिया, KD! You have some fantastic shots documenting this encounter, and the first image is a stunner!
Just one suggestion – next time, take me with you !

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:45 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

This is a super set. You did very well with the cubs and I enjoyed every shot. Is the last shot showing all the jeeps typical of the number of vehicles?

Ron

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:50 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Beautiful shots. It is great to get these tiger shots off of the dirt roads we so often see them on in photos.

TFS
Geoff

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:30 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Ted ellis wrote:
Great series Kd

thanks for viewing and commenting, Ted.
---------------------------------------------

eyelaser wrote:
What a treat to be able to see let alone photograph baby tigers! Catching a glimpse of these would have taken my breath away and you captured them really as best as possible. Very nice photos, and I am sure, a memory to last a lifetime!
Eric

You are so right, Eric. It was magical, just to glimpse the cubs and their shy behavior and how they stayed close to the mom and also how relaxed the mom was around humans. thanks for your comment

Herb Houghton wrote:
Awesome set KD, it must have been quite the experience.

thanks Herb. Wished I could have gotten better baby pictures.Loved your Skimmer pics

mitesh wrote:
बहुत बदिया, KD! You have some fantastic shots documenting this encounter, and the first image is a stunner!
Just one suggestion – next time, take me with you !

Dhanyawad, Mitesh. I strongly suggest that you mark November 2018 in your calendar, as I am planning a trip at that time. You are more than welcome to join.

surfnron wrote:
This is a super set. You did very well with the cubs and I enjoyed every shot. Is the last shot showing all the jeeps typical of the number of vehicles?

Ron

Thanks Ron. Appreciate the comment and yes, wherever and whenever the other jeeps get wind of a tiger sighting, this occurs. However the total number of Jeeps entering the park is restricted to approximately 35-40 each safari. These parks are quite huge and there are many sighting that only 1 or 2 jeeps may get to enjoy, like our Male Tiger sighting. It's luck and the skill of your driver/guide/naturalist and being at the right place at the right time. Unlike African safaris, tiger sighting are a lot more infrequent and rare, and therefore I savor them as much as I can. In fact I mentioned to our group after the male sighting, that the morning safari was the best I had in all my previous tiger safaris, with, the female, cubs the male and the light.

arbitrage wrote:
Beautiful shots. It is great to get these tiger shots off of the dirt roads we so often see them on in photos.

TFS
Geoff

thanks Geoff. Indeed these parks most have dirt roads for the most part. there are some access roads that are tarmac, but for the most part are dirt roads and are very difficult to navigate in the monsoons.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

KD, these images are just wonderful! The cubs are adorable, huh? All those and the story is excellent - well captured!

Joshua

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Enjoyed the series, thanks for sharing! I'd love an opportunity to see a Tiger in the wild sometime.

That said, I personally find it concerning to see the mob of overloaded jeeps chasing the animals. I know you said it's limited numbers (35-40?) but this seems wrong on so many levels. Even knowing there are limited opportunities to see these wonderful animals in the wild, I'm not so sure I'd want to be part of this.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

Michael H wrote:
Enjoyed the series, thanks for sharing! I'd love an opportunity to see a Tiger in the wild sometime.

That said, I personally find it concerning to see the mob of overloaded jeeps chasing the animals. I know you said it's limited numbers (35-40?) but this seems wrong on so many levels. Even knowing there are limited opportunities to see these wonderful animals in the wild, I'm not so sure I'd want to be part of this.

thanks Michael. Even though there are vehicles, the law of the park/jungle is that the animals have the right of the way and all of these guides and drivers follow these guidelines very strictly. In fact when we felt that the tiger was uncomfortable with the proximity, our driver/guide moved the jeep away so that the family could pass.
BTW all of these jeep are at a standstill.
Similar things occur in Africa etc when there is sighting on the roads.
The animals tend to ignore the jeeps and consider them a part of the forest.
Only if kids/children/people are allowed to view magnificent animals, will there be education of their value and the poaching and the extermination of these animals for skin, bones for medicines will be reduced and stopped. Just my 2 cents.

Edited on Nov 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

AGeoJO wrote:
KD, these images are just wonderful! The cubs are adorable, huh? All those and the story is excellent - well captured!

Joshua

thanks Joshua.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

kdacharya wrote:
thanks Michael. Even though there are vehicles, the law of the park/jungle is that the animals have the right of the way and all of these guides and drivers follow these guidelines very strictly. In fact when we felt that the tiger was uncomfortable with the proximity, our driver/guide moved the jeep away so that the family could pass.
BTW all of these jeep are at a standstill.
Similar things occur in Africa etc when there is sighting on the roads.
The animals tend to ignore the jeeps and consider them a part of the forest.
Only if kids/children/people are allowed
...Show more

Than you for the additional detail. Appearances can be deceptive, but it does still (at least) loosely resemble a bit of a mob-scene.

Your points about education are very valid as well. Ignorance is cured through education and this serves to educate people of the importance.

Thank you again for sharing.

Nov 23, 2016 at 03:35 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

KD,

As Mitesh said, बहुत बहुत khubsurat shots.

Did you take down the picture of the crowd on gypsies? You were lucky to be on the front of the crowd. As Michael wrote, it did look like a mob scene. In South Africa, I was at a private reserve. They do not allow more than two vehicles at a time. I guess in national parks, such strict rules are difficult to enforce. Unfortunately, there are times that many people scream "sher, sher". Such noise should be controlled with education. I do agree with both you and Michael that education is important. Hopefully, people will be able to conserve these magnificent animals.

~Mansur

Nov 23, 2016 at 04:06 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

conebeam wrote:
KD,

As Mitesh said, बहुत बहुत khubsurat shots.

Did you take down the picture of the crowd on gypsies? You were lucky to be on the front of the crowd. As Michael wrote, it did look like a mob scene. In South Africa, I was at a private reserve. They do not allow more than two vehicles at a time. I guess in national parks, such strict rules are difficult to enforce. Unfortunately, there are times that many people scream "sher, sher". Such noise should be controlled with education. I do agree with both you and Michael that education is important.
...Show more
Thanks Mansur,
Just think of a developing country such as India, with a population of 1.3 Billion people, that it is an amazing thing to even have tigers in the wild there. Now add to it the matter of poverty and that compounds the issues.
As in Africa and elsewhere, where the local population is involved in the conservation effort, the chances of success of that effort would increase. So is the case for India. Education, exposure and experiencing the flora and fauna is the key to success.
Even though there were many jeeps that morning the noise level was low as the guides do enforce this. Even my guide informed me to restrict my movements when the tigers were close. Quite honestly, I really did not speak during the entire sighting as it was magical and I am sure the occupants in other jeeps felt the same way.
To avoid further controversy, I have taken the picture down. Hope you understand.

Nov 23, 2016 at 04:24 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

kdacharya wrote:
Thanks Mansur,
Just think of a developing country such as India, with a population of 1.3 Billion people, that it is an amazing thing to even have tigers in the wild there. Now add to it the matter of poverty and that compounds the issues.
As in Africa and elsewhere, where the local population is involved in the conservation effort, the chances of success of that effort would increase. So is the case for India. Education, exposure and experiencing the flora and fauna is the key to success.
Even though there were many jeeps that morning the noise level was low as
...Show more

Yes, KD. this remains an issue. Hopefully things will become better. I am from Assam, and had seen Kaziranga and Manas National parks being exploited. Now things are getting better. Poaching has gone down, because public understands the value of wildlife. On top of other issues are natural disasters, such as flooding of Kaziranga. Every year, some rhinos and many elephants die due to flooding. There are still a lot of wild elephants in the district of Karbi Anglong. This area is still not fully protected. Hopefully, one day. I am so glad that you had a positive experience at this park. Tourism will probably help against poaching and encroachment.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the cubs' pictures. Life is growing. Let's look at the positive aspect.

Nov 23, 2016 at 06:31 PM
surgemaster
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

You were very fortunate, KD. Thanks for posting these wonderful images and the back story.
Rex

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:03 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My Mommy and I - Choti Tara and cubs

very nice KD

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.