New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Where has Petkal gone?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Where has Petkal gone?

To his credit, he was more recently just downsizing them to like 400 wide or something so at least people coming late could get a small taste of what he was talking about. Of course he has the right to do as he wants with his online images. Taking his images down off the Canon Seasonal thread or a thread in N&W is one thing but when he creates threads to show how his gear works or try and teach some lesson then I think he should consider that the thread is only useful with the images there along with the text. As someone mentioned it would be more considerate to just edit the thread title to CLOSED when he decides to pull the images.

Anyways, despite some having issue with his practices, we can also see that many people enjoyed his contributions because this is the second "Where is PetKal" thread we've had in over a year.

Nov 25, 2016 at 08:25 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Where has Petkal gone?

gdanmitchell wrote:
The photographs belong to the photographer who posts them. While we might regard their removal as being unfortunate, unwise, or unwelcome... the decision is properly that of the photographer.

I disagree on this one. If you are posting images for the purpose of showing others attributes of the gear you are using, you should keep them up for others that happen to find the thread later. It is very irritating to look at a thread that is of interest to you, only to find the poster has pulled the images after a very short duration. It is extremely inconsiderate and ignorant, IMO to start a thread about something, then delete the images. I'd rather the post was deleted.
Most of the time there is nothing special about the images and are usually of a "dime a dozen" variety showing off some technical quality only.

Nov 25, 2016 at 09:01 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Where has Petkal gone?

mogud wrote:
Peter posts and deletes images to try and thwart the Interweb culture of stealing, hacking and whatever goes mentality. Watermarks and displaying images in small sizes just slow the theives down.

Can you imagine if all of us posting images here would do that?

Nov 25, 2016 at 09:10 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Where has Petkal gone?

You put your stuff on the net expect it to be stolen.
Taking it down does nothing it's to late they are already gone.
If you think putting them up for only a few hours unwatermarked is protecting them ok...
If you are putting them up to show an example of something then pulling them achieves nothing as it removes the value of the post and demonstrates nothing.
If you want security simply don't upload its that easy..

Nov 25, 2016 at 09:12 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Where has Petkal gone?

Max_Pain wrote:
Can you imagine if all of us posting images here would do that?

You are perhaps making an assumption that we are all putting up images worth stealing

Peter's posted work was excellent, and i do understand why he chose to show only for a limited time. It just annoyed me when i arrived too late to see it. Aside from that (ultimately very small) criticism i miss his contributions and i think the place is poorer for his absence.

Nov 25, 2016 at 09:34 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Where has Petkal gone?

mogud wrote:
I think the developing flavour of this thread is maybe the reason why Peter decided to stay away from here for so long. The discussion started friendly ehough with concern for his well being and then now to members being annoyed and Peter was rude.

I tend to agree. It seems no thread survives anymore without some sort of pissing match breaking out. The intent of the thread was to simply clarify a departed member's whereabouts, full stop. If you feel compelled to crack open an old complaint file, please, respectfully, start your own thread...

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Where has Petkal gone?

onegreatcity wrote:
I tend to agree. It seems no thread survives anymore without some sort of pissing match breaking out. The intent of the thread was to simply clarify a departed member's whereabouts, full stop. If you feel compelled to crack open an old complaint file, please, respectfully, start your own thread...

Then perhaps people should post threads to the most appropriate forum. This forum is for the discussion of Canon GEAR. The "Forum & Miscellaneous" would be a better place for this topic.

There are a number of members who no longer post. Do we want separate threads for all of them on this forum asking of their whereabouts

And respectfully, this thread is open to all members, whether they want to complain or not. After all, here you are complaining.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Where has Petkal gone?

mogud wrote:
I think the developing flavour of this thread is maybe the reason why Peter decided to stay away from here for so long. The discussion started friendly ehough with concern for his well being and then now to members being annoyed and Peter was rude.

+1

One way that each of us can (try to) not be part of the problem — and, yes, this is posted at the risk of the obvious likely come-back to my post — is to use the "hide me" link so that posts by provocateurs are no longer visible.

To those who worry that you might not see a hidden person's occasional worthy posts... I have found a solution that might work for you, too. You can still choose to click the "show" link on their posts if you want. But, at least for me, the extra step of having to choose to reveal the messages from hidden people reminds me that I hid them because I promised myself to not respond to their incitement and that I can just let their posts go unanswered.

Although I had learned the lesson long ago in other areas of my life, it took me some time to learn to apply it here: Engaging in "conversation" with some people will not lead in productive directions. You can't change everyone. And sometimes no response at all is the most effective response for such folks.

I offer this as something we could all do to remind ourselves to make our own imperfect attempts at generally improving the quality and civility of forum discussions.

Take care,

Dan

Edited on Nov 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM
ahender
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Where has Petkal gone?

gdanmitchell wrote:
+1

Yep, some people just can't let it go. Imagine that.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Where has Petkal gone?

Imagemaster wrote:
Then perhaps people should post threads to the most appropriate forum. This forum is for the discussion of Canon GEAR. The "Forum & Miscellaneous" would be a better place for this topic.

There are a number of members who no longer post. Do we want separate threads for all of them on this forum asking of their whereabouts

And respectfully, this thread is open to all members, whether they want to complain or not. After all, here you are complaining.

I rest my case.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Where has Petkal gone?

Fred, please close this thread. We know how it ends...

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Where has Petkal gone?

What is so inciting about some of the replies? That some of them have different views? I guess that does upset some people. I see nothing wrong with the complaints about disappearing images, it is a legitimate concern. After all, the point of posting in a gear forum is to show some aspects of particular gear. It's a little hard to appreciate the purpose of the post if someone removes the examples?? Especially if their expertise is respected, it's even more frustrating to read a post with the images removed.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:12 AM
ahender
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Where has Petkal gone?

Disappearing images is not why this thread tanked into the toilet. History repeats itself ... again.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:40 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Where has Petkal gone?

yep, the piss masters are at it again.....

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:42 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.