Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Adorama has the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Super Wide Angle, Manual Focus Lens for Canon for only $250 today!

http://www.adorama.com/rkfe14mc.html

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:02 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Lovely little lens.

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:43 PM
dtolios
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Amazon Price Matched, but only the Canon version!

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

That's a hell of a price for a great little lens!

Nov 22, 2016 at 08:37 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Is this the newer version with the focus confirmation chip?

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:15 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Max_Pain wrote:
Is this the newer version with the focus confirmation chip?

At least the Amazon Link above is for the version without the chip. Both are reported as "new updated UMC version" in their description, but the version with the chip is called "Canon AE" and still at $499 - at least on Amazon.

To be honest, I think you don't need the focus confirmation chip for focusing a 14mm lens...DOF is just too big for it to matter much. Getting EXIF information is perhaps the biggest advantage.

I don't have the 14mm f/2.8, but I do have the Rokinon 12mm f/2 for my Fuji X, and focusing is not an issue for general photography. When critical focus is required, either for close distances / landscapes or more importantly for nightscapes/astro, the only reliable option is MF in LiveView and 10x magnification. Zebras / focus peaking etc is not good enough for point lights, and chip confirmation isn't either - even with native lenses.

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:47 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

I have the "old" version, and have considered doing the chip mod myself. Was just wondering if they had lowered the price on the chipped version and maybe I would upgrade that instead. It looks like I'm back to modding mine

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Great if you get a good copy....

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

The Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 in the AE version not only has a reporting chip, but has full normal electronic control of the aperture using a setting from the camera. The focus confirm is not all that valuable to me, but getting a report from the lens on the model and the selected aperture, so that it goes in to the EXIF data, is very useful for me. And the electronic aperture control makes the lens much more useful to me for uses other than night work. All exposure modes are usable, and there is no manual aperture ring that can get bumped in the dark. You can confirm and adjust aperture using the LCD screen of the camera, as well as the usual controls. Obviously the AE version is still manual focus.

The non AE version like the one on sale is indeed a bargain, but the more expensive AE version does have extra value as described above. You still likely need to verify the quality of the individual lens you get for both versions, so be prepared to do that promptly, so that a timely return can be executed if necessary.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

Schlotkins wrote:
Great if you get a good copy....

I think that if it's not a good copy, one may be able to replace it at the same price. (As many times as necessary)

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:01 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

I picked one up for $175 used. I super glued a $10 confirmation chip to it. Works great.

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:34 AM
jtangen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

I have the original un-chipped version of this lens. When I had my 5DmkII in manual mode and exposed via what I was seeing on Live-view, once the shot was taken the resulting shot was overexposed OFF THE CHART !! Everything would work fine in AP mode but would overexpose in manual. I thought it might be an issue with the mkII but I'm having same thing on my 5DmkIII

Anyone else shoot with this lens/camera combo in Manual?

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:04 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

I have no experience with this lens but I seem to recall someone else saying that the chipped version would give more accurate exposure. Or rather, that the unchipped version would give incorrect exposure. Maybe it was on The Digital Picture.

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

For an un chipped version of this lens, or even for adding a chip to the un chipped lens, the lens still can not tell your camera what aperture you have set on the manual ring on the lens. This complicates all the auto exposures modes and makes them pretty much useless. Manual exposure is in general what you should be using, and trial shots followed by histogram inspection is a very useful way to get properly exposed shots.

When you use the un chipped version of this lens, the camera thinks there is a manual only lens on there, and gives a report of aperture 0.0. In that situation, I believe you will find that the exposure metering in manual exposure mode works based on assuming the lens will not stop down for the shot. Check that out to see what you find. And adding the chip to the lens may confuse the camera for exposure, making that metering return erroneous results.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:49 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

AFAIK manual lenses & AE work in A mode just fine on Canon bodies.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:12 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $250!

The chip can be programmed to report 14mm f2.8 in EXIF. Also, with a chip, you will receive viewfinder focus confirmation.

Nov 28, 2016 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password