Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Tyr-Sog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Although I bought a week ago I was able to take advantage(thank you BestBuy) of the grip deal that was announced 11/20. I've never shot with a grip so I'm not sure of the combos behaviors.

Sunday I picked the grip up, shot with it and had 1/4 of a battery left in the grip and a fully charged battery in the body. I went to take a few snaps of my kids then next day and both batteries were dead. Is this normal if the grip is left on? Is there a setting that I am missing? Doesn't seem right to be normal as I could just leave the body on for days and not hardly loose the juice.

Thanks,

Justin

Nov 22, 2016 at 07:53 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

You need to be in Airplane mode and turn OFF the D500 when done shooting...
otherwise it'll eat batteries faster than a monkey can take down a cupcake.

Nov 22, 2016 at 07:57 AM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

trenchmonkey wrote:
You need to be in Airplane mode and turn OFF the D500 when done shooting...
otherwise it'll eat batteries faster than a monkey can take down a cupcake.

Thanks TM.

I remember when I had my other Nikon bodies(d810, d600, d7k) I would accidentally forget to turn them off and days(weeks?) later still had most of the charge. It's not like that with the D500? OR is that where the airplane mode plays it's role?

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:13 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

I have an aftermarket D500 grip and I've left the camera on and no battery drain. I wouldn't expect the OEM grip to have drain either. Usually my aftermarket grips are the ones that drain even with the camera off but my D500 (Newer brand) seems to be the exception to that rule that pleases me.

But I do have it on airplane mode so try that first.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:31 AM
danh920
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

I also use the airplane mode and now that I think about it, the batteries definitely drain slower. Though I'll admit this thing still sucks the juice out of batteries faster than any other Nikon body I've owned

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:54 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

You can also use the El-EL 18 (a) with an inexpensive adapter. The same battery use by the D4s/D5.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:29 PM
coastalconn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

It takes a few charge cycles to get full battery life. I never turn my camera off and it is always ready to go. I average about 1600 shots per battery in the grip and camera. Like others have said use airplane mode

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Airplane Mode is essential for battery life. The grip will not increase drain, but the D500 is an energy hog whether on or off. I find it to be 50% efficient compared to my other active bodies (D7100, D3X). The EN-EL18 option looks more attractive every day.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

That's crazy, I wonder what's draining it? I don't have any of the wifi crap going or even setup.

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:29 PM
Fearsys

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Are both batteries the newest EN-EL15? There are now 2 versions of this battery. I was using the first version in my grip and the battery drained very fast.

The back of the battery will tell you what version it is: Li-ion10 is the first version and Li-ion20 is the second version. The D500 requires the 2nd version to keep a long charge.

I was able to send in my 1st version to Nikon and they replaced it with the 2nd version for free.

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

everyone still can send the 01 batts back to be replaced

Nov 24, 2016 at 02:32 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

I'll have to take a Look at that. I'd have to think that the battery that came with the camera is VER2. Maybe the free added battery off the shelf from bestbuy is VER1. Thanks for the heads up

I'll say one thing. Shooting with the grip is so nice.

Nov 24, 2016 at 08:32 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

I found that when new, my D500 drained the batteries fast for the first couple of cycles; after that, it began to behave in a similar fashion to my other Nikons. See what happens after you've run it through two or three charges of the batteries.

Also, ensure you have the wifi off (airplane mode).

Nov 24, 2016 at 09:05 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Ok, so I still seem to be having draining issues.

The 24th I shot with two fully charged batteries. My camera was left with 1/3 full in the grip and a full body battery.
Yesterday morning I check and the grip is dead with the body showing 84% left.
The body was turned off. I did however leave the grip on. Airplane mode is on. Both batteries are Ver2.

Again, I know with my past bodies I would(or could) leave the body on for days/weeks and it would just go in to sleep mode.

I do love that having the option for AA's now though.

Nov 26, 2016 at 04:59 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

"The body was turned off. I did however leave the grip on."

Your grip has an on/off switch

Nov 27, 2016 at 05:59 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

I can't figure this out. Today I have to fully charged batteries. I shoot a 120 shots, I show only one bar used from the grip battery and a full charge in the body.
This was around 4pm. I get home, upload the photos from the camera to the pc. I left the camera on and just checked it. It used the grip battery completely and has the body battery is at 90%.
This was in a 4 hour period from having nearly 2 fully charged batteries.

I'm baffled.

Dec 04, 2016 at 08:27 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500 / OEM Grip / OEM Batteries ?

Off to Nikon it goes.

Dec 05, 2016 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.