New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I just wrote a review on amazon for the Arc'teryx Dually jacket and figured I would copy it here since I bought it for winter shooting and winter has arrived.
If you are like me and want to shoot in winter and at night but haven't found a jacket that keeps the cold away then consider this jacket. It is expensive but likely will last a very long time. Arc'teryx makes very good gear that can look new 5 years later.

Review: Arc'teryx Dually Belay Jacket

This is the best winter jacket I have ever owned. I am someone who gets cold easy and even with good winter jackets I would get some chills in truly cold weather. I also am a photographer who likes to shoot landscapes in winter and at night. Standing in a snow drift at night for an hour can get very cold in the Colorado mountains. I was finding myself getting cold with even good gear on and started looking for the ultimate winter jacket without going to down.
Thats when i happened to come across this at a gear consignment store. I bought it after the worker told me it was the warmest jacket he ever used. I now fully agree with this statement. I have been warm with this and a long sleeve baselayer down to 0°F. Below that I like to layer a bit more underneath but if I throw on my atom AR under this I think I would be good down to -40 or so.

This jacket runs large. I am a arc'teryx junkie and own around 15-20 jackets/sweaters from them. Everything I have ever tried on was best for me in Medium except this jacket. I got this in small and I bet even XS would fit me well. It is designed to fit big so you can layer but it still runs large. I can easily put a atom AR/sweater/baselayer under this size small without any issues. I tried on the medium once and it was ridiculously big on me. I highly suggest getting a size down.

The pockets are well made and have a soft lining. When you put your hands in the pockets they feel very soft and it instantly cuts the cold away.

The hood is well designed and works well with a helmet or without.

The area around the chin and neck has a soft lining so it feels comfortable zipped all the way up.

The sleeves are perfect like many arc'teryx jackets. Fits great around the wrist and doesn't let wind in. No rub or discomfort

THe jacket has 2 large internal pockets. They don't zip but can be useful. I have used them for quick access to lenses. It can fit a Nikon 14-24 and likely a bit bigger.

THe only thing I can say negative about this jacket isn't really a negative of the jacket. Once I started to use this jacket it showed how inadequate other pieces of clothing were. Before buying this I would wear patagonia northwall pants with merino fleece longjohns. I thought it was the best combo and was very happy with how warm my legs felt. Once I started wearing this jacket suddenly my legs felt cold with the same combo on. Same with my hands and face. Your core and arms are so warm that it makes you notice the cold in the areas not covered by the jacket. I guess this is a nice problem to have.

Overall it is a wonderful jacket and my search for the ultimate winter jacket has ended. Like mentioned in another review I don't think this jacket is for everyone. It is just too warm for a lot of peoples needs. It is too warm for city use even in very cold cities. Once you get in your car or a store you will start to overheat.
Its not designed to breathe a lot so its not made for heavy activity either. It is best for doing little to no activity in freezing weather. If you winter camp, ice climb, winter photography or anything else which finds you standing in very cold weather for long periods of time then this jacket is for you.

Nov 22, 2016 at 04:57 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I have it to. Great jacket for my -30C days out shooting frozen birds on the icy river....

I own so much Arcteryx stuff these days I could start my own store....great stuff and so far my stuff has been lasting a long time.

Nov 22, 2016 at 03:03 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I'm still using the Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero parka for my deep winter coat. It has 800F down that's about 4 inches thick! Combined with the matching pants plus base layer and light mid layer, I've simply sat down in the snow and waited over an hour in -20F to -30F temps perfectly comfortably. You can sometimes catch these on ebay when mountain climbers sell them off after a trip. I believe it has a waterproof breathable membrane on the outer shell too. The face mask is an Outdoor Research Gorilla balaclava. It's great when it's really cold out.

Kent in SD

Self Portrait

Nov 22, 2016 at 07:39 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Timely post

Is this the jacket?: http://amzn.to/2gIoU9d

Nov 22, 2016 at 08:01 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

kosin wrote:
Timely post

Is this the jacket?: http://amzn.to/2gIoU9d

Yes that is the coat. I know it is crazy pricey but I feel it is worth it.

I am sure you can find great down jackets but there is downsides to down. Not the best getting wet, the arc'teryx can handle getting wet.
Down is a pain to clean as well. Gets costly over time cleaning down jackets.

Also this is one of the few arc'teryx pieces still made in Canada

Edited on Nov 22, 2016 at 08:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2016 at 08:16 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I should add you can sometimes find them on ebay new with tags for around $400

Nov 22, 2016 at 08:22 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

mysh wrote:
[

I am sure you can find great down jackets but there is downsides to down. Not the best getting wet, the arc'teryx can handle getting wet.
Down is a pain to clean as well. Gets costly over time cleaning down jackets.

I have two "high end" down coats--an Outdoor Research "technical" jacket that is very light and features 800F down in a waterproof breathable covering. It's good 40F to maybe 20F. With good base layer and moderate activity it will work to about zero F. It's very, very light and compresses very compactly. When it starts getting really cold (zero F to -40) that's when I pull out the Mountain Hardwear. It too has a waterproof/breathable shell, but the inner lining is not waterproof. Usually when I'm wearing that there isn't any liquid water around anyway. There are advantages to down to go along with the "downsides." An 800F down remains the warmest insulator per weight out there. It's both warm and very lightweight. A down jacket can be tightly compressed and stored in a smaller space. Since I'm mostly worried about simply staying warm in some pretty harsh winter conditions on the Northern Plains, I've been staying with 800F down. It comes down to personal perference, of course.

As for winter clothing, I think all of the "technical" brands are great--Mountain Hardwear, Arc, Marmot, Fjallraven, Canada Goose, Outdoor Research, etc. are excellent and again it comes down to fit and personal preference. I would include Northface, but after seeing every teenage girl at the mall wearing that brand, I don't know. Last winter I was in downtown Chicago and all the city people wear wearing Northface as well. For fun, I asked them what the "north face" was. Not one of them had any idea. I'm sure they have some nice stuff if you read the specs, but it's not for me.

This is the OR jacket I wear for moderate cold--fully waterproofed down, and it's very thin and warm:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-floodlight-down-jacket.html

Kent in SD

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:45 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

For any Canadians, Altitude Sports has 20% off all Arc'teryx right now. The Dually Belay is included. Bringing the CDN price down from $799 to $639.
http://www.altitude-sports.com/en/arcteryx-mens-dually-belay-parka-arc-12717-en

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM
ariot
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I thought I would pass along one of several stores I have used, in case anyone hasn't heard of it.

Sierra Trading Post

Like many of the other outlets, if you are lucky and they have your size, you can get gear that is top notch but perhaps one or two generations out of date for decent prices. (They do also clear out really cheap worthless crap, like everyone else.)

I don't get into long nights below zero much these days, but I've used Sierra Trading Post for good gear to equip my kids who've been to some pretty rugged places around Asia.

I use the Arc'teryx GoreTex shell over a Mountain Hardware micro thermostatic around Maryland during the coldest part of the year, and I scored a good deal on MH Snowzilla (second hand in S.Korea of all places) If I ever need to layer in my down Outdoor Research mid (650F).

Arc'teryx is probably the best gear for the hardcore cold, but if I can find deals on MH or Outdoor Research (especially the lighter weight stuff) I'll go with them.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:05 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

A belay jacket is a good choice for a photographer. Much like climbers we have activity followed by long periods being still. A good collection of insulation, Gore-Tex, fleece, etc makes winter much more tolerable. Several great brands for warm jackets as others have stated. Usually good to try them on as fit can vary greatly by brand. Example, I usually need an XL in Outdoor Research to get the right fit through the shoulders but a large is usually spot on for Mountain Hardware.

Down is my preferred insulation for a jacket for winter, unless I expect more rain than snow when I go to a synthetic. I have collected a few of each over the years as good gear lasts.

Don't forget layering too. I find it helps to think of several pieces and adjust as needed.

A Gore-Tex shell over all does wonders too. As wind is a big enemy in winter.

Primaloft insulated pants are also a wonderful thing in winter.

Nov 23, 2016 at 06:16 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Thanks!

What are your favorite cold weather/breathable pants?

For those in need of an ultra warm boots, for prolonged standing in low temperatures, I find these boots very reliable: http://amzn.to/2fSX8Vs They have a removable 13mm felt sock/inner boot that keep your feet nice and toasty Unfortunately the inner boot adds about 2 sizes to the overall boot size, so they may feel a little bit awkward for long distance walks

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:29 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I agree all the higher end tech clothing companies are good quality and you really can't go wrong with most of it. I have owned a ton of it over the years and I do feel arc'teryx is slightly above the rest. Unfortunately so is their price. Like you said fit is a big part and I have always liked how arc'teryx fit is more athletic without getting too tight and it looks good enough to wear on the streets. I do think most the companies are now going in that direction which I am happy about.

Northface owns mountain hardwear but I thinkI prefer MH over NF. I have had some bad experiences with some northface over the years. Some of the MH lines are very nice. There is a pair of insulated pants that people rave about that are always soldout.

I just got turned off of down when I was younger. I bought a down sleeping bag and was backpacking in Olympic NP. It rained really hard and our tent failed us. The sleeping bag got wet and that night was terrible. It just would not get warm. I also hated everytime I wanted to clean it it was a pain.

I know a lot of companies now are starting to weather treat the down so the wet issue isn't as big of a problem anymore.
as you said there is pros to down as well. Compression, warmth and it is normally lighter than the synthetic comparison.

The companies you mentioned are all really great. I also like the company RAB

Two23 wrote:
I have two "high end" down coats--an Outdoor Research "technical" jacket that is very light and features 800F down in a waterproof breathable covering. It's good 40F to maybe 20F. With good base layer and moderate activity it will work to about zero F. It's very, very light and compresses very compactly. When it starts getting really cold (zero F to -40) that's when I pull out the Mountain Hardwear. It too has a waterproof/breathable shell, but the inner lining is not waterproof. Usually when I'm wearing that there isn't any liquid water around anyway. There are advantages to down
...Show more

Edited on Nov 23, 2016 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:48 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I have heard wonderful things abut the Mountain hardwear compressor pants. I am going to buy some this winter.
They can breath on their own or you can wear them under a harder shell waterproof shell.
I will wear mine under patagonia northwall pants. These pants are weather resistance which I find good enough for winter and they have fleece lining. I tend to get cold so I probably layer more than others.

If it is downright freezing out and I plan to shoot at night in 0°F or below my clothes will be:
Top:
Arc'teryx dually Jacket
arc'teryx atom AR jacket
patagonia cap 3 baselayer shirt

bottom:
patagonia northwall pants
mountain hardwear compressor pants
merino wool baselayer longjohns

merino wool socks
UGG butte boots - these are warm, waterproof goretex and they are very light. Most winter boots are heavy but these are light which I love. Also sheepskin lined in total boot.

kosin wrote:
Thanks!

What are your favorite cold weather/breathable pants?

For those in need of an ultra warm boots, for prolonged standing in low temperatures, I find these boots very reliable: http://amzn.to/2fSX8Vs They have a removable 13mm felt sock/inner boot that keep your feet nice and toasty Unfortunately the inner boot adds about 2 sizes to the overall boot size, so they may feel a little bit awkward for long distance walks

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:53 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

One more thing I wanted to add. If the arc'teryx dually is just too much money or you don't spend enough time in freezing weather to justify the cost, and you prefer to stay away from down another great option is the Patagonia DAS Parka. My wife owns it and it is close to the arc'teryx in warmth. We both think the arc'teryx beats it out a bit but its very close.
YOu can find this for under $200 on sale at times. 6pm.com has it a lot

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:56 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

For pants I'm still using the Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero, with 800F down. Waterproof shell and lightweight--doesn't tire me when walking. Unfortunately, not made any more. If I need to replace, I'd go with the Marmot down pants:

https://marmot.com/products/details/8000m-pant

All of my winter clothing is black. It does absorb some warmth from any available sunshine.

I'm a big believer in down, mainly because it isn't bulky and at the same time it's the warmest stuff available. In winter I'm often out alone in very remote areas, and I need something that will keep me alive in case I get stranded or something.

For boots I mostly use Danner winter hunting boots. Excellent traction, not bulky, and my feet feel very agile in them. Only 400G Thinsulate in them, but with the 800F down pants & parka my feet never get cold anyway. For really deep cold, I switch to Baffin Apex boots. The stuff I wear is way overkill for where I live--rarely gets colder than -40, but I know if I get stuck outside overnight in the even the nastiest weather the Northern Plains can dish out, I will live to see the sunrise.

Baffin Apex:
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/40001305.htm

Really, I think clothing comes down to three things:
1. Cost/value
2. Will it protect you in the conditions you're likely to encounter
3. Does it feel "right" for you?

Kent in SD

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:40 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

This is a great thread! Lots of useful info.

Belay jackets are actually kind of hard to find. After a lot of research I ended up with the Arc'teryx Nuclei AR - synthetic insulation belay jacket. Its insulation comes in at 100g/m^2, which is a bit lower than the DAS and some other hardcore belay jackets. I struck a compromise to save weight. I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

Arc'teryx gear is a level above most other companies, which does come with a higher price tag. I am extremely happy with all of my Arc'teryx gear. Along with the Nuclei I own a Cerium LT (super warm and light down jacket), Atom LT (incredible 60g synthetic mid layer), and a Beta AR (Gore-tex pro hard shell).

Nov 25, 2016 at 01:26 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Depends upon how cold you are talking about. I use a Patagonia DAS parka (belay jacket) mostly these days and wear a polartec hoodie (200 or 300wt) and filson wool vest underneath if I need extra warmth. For super cold where you are not moving around, I've a feathered friends coat but rarely need it.

Pants, the main thing is a shell. I've a pair of marmot precip full zip rain pants that I use for the shell. I comes in a lot of different waist sizes and leg lengths. Under these I wear llbean's north weave pants when I need something washable or filson whipcord wool pants. Military style ECWS long underwear (cabelas) sometimes by themselve without pants and a medium wt synthetic long underwear. Exactly what I use and how they are combined depends on temperature. It is amazing how cold I can go with just the ECWS underwear and the shell. Patagonia nano-puff pants are good to. Super cold feathered friends pants.

Boots, military Bunny Boots (white rubber). I have wide feet and these are available in probably 5 or more widths. Also look at Cabalas Trans alaskan boot. Probably the warmest thing available but seldom needed. Inside are the heaviest wool socks smartwool makes.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

Love all the technical jackets but the topic is winter shooting, NOT winter mountaineering. Ultra light weight technical mountain jackets are not particularly needed to capture photos. So, if you are not backpacking or taking long treks, any reasonable winter clothing scheme works just fine and can cost a lot less. Just layer some polypro and wool you can buy at Goodwill and you are ready. Besides 2nd hand, Sierra Trading post seems like a good deal.

However, there are two exceptions to the cheapo route: boots and gloves. Good ones can be difficult to find at a 2nd hand store, though sometimes I see deals on those military style pac boots which are rated down to -100 or some such. So, I end up spending money on good Sorels or equivalent.

Gloves are the real pain in the winter. Either you shoot with gloves on, or you keep taking them on and off. Both kinds of gloves seem to require spending money. And for goodness sake, in 0F weather, don't use those photographer gloves with the fingertips that pop off. They just make those particular fingers prone to frostbite. Anyway, I'm still figuring out the best way to keep warm hands, even curious about this option, which might double as a padding when you put the camera back in the pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301753701390?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 28, 2016 at 02:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

walts.photo wrote:
Love all the technical jackets but the topic is winter shooting, NOT winter mountaineering. Ultra light weight technical mountain jackets are not particularly needed to capture photos. So, if you are not backpacking or taking long treks, any reasonable winter clothing scheme works just fine and can cost a lot less. Just layer some polypro and wool you can buy at Goodwill and you are ready. Besides 2nd hand, Sierra Trading post seems like a good deal.

However, there are two exceptions to the cheapo route: boots and gloves. Good ones can be difficult to find at a 2nd
...Show more

I wear fairly thin Windstopper gloves even at -35C, I just use the heat packs inside them to keep me warm. Keeping my fingers gripped around the heat pack when not actively shooting works well.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:46 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My favorite Winter Jacket for shooting

I hadn'd thought much about using heat packs. That could make thin gloves useable if the heat manages to get to the fingertips.

The Windstopper, are you talking about these from Marmot?

https://marmot.com/products/details/windstopper-glove?gs-us=1&utm_term=785562506343&mr:referralID=c9530308-b70c-11e6-b294-0050569406b5&gclid=CjwKEAiAjvrBBRDxm_nRusW3q1QSJAAzRI1tT6gwepACq-R2RNlHzpZfj6yH1o-spYN0FQh0cdLxdhoC7LDw_wcB

Nov 30, 2016 at 09:58 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.