FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Boiling Seas

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boiling Seas

This is also from my trip to the Big Sur coast This is in Garapatta State park and these are my favorite sea stacks.
Since fog & the marine layer dominated, I stayed with B&W since any color in the rocks was almost non-existent.
When this was taken, you really couldn't see the horizon but somehow I think that adds to the stormy feel.
I usually shoot this location from down on beach level, but decided against as the winds & the rocks were sort of wet.

Exposed on TMAX 100 4x5, 90mm, probably 1 sec.
I should have had some ISO 400 sheets with me as the S/S is a bit slow for the water action. Next time I will bring some!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5466/30347229984_27f88fabea_b.jpg

C&C

Thanks
Dan

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boiling Seas

Very nice Dan. You can always overexpose your sheets 2 stops and pull process them accordingly.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:30 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boiling Seas

I think the slow film and shutter speed worked to your advantage, showing off the water movement against the solid, sharp-edged masses of the rocks. It could have been interesting--if possible--to use an even longer exposure with a smaller aperture. It could have given you more pattern of the water swirls, plus more "haze" of blurred water movement around the rocks--something like Wynn Bullock's famous image of sea palms, which, by the way, was photographed not far from where you photographed.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boiling Seas

While I like the image, I find the blur of the swirling water lower left somewhat problematic. For me its somewhere in that zone between trying to make it focus by squinting and enjoying the softness from a prolonged shutter speed. I think you needed to shoot either faster or significantly slower. Cropping half of the lower rocks helps, but sacrifices those dark sentinels which I think are powerful parts of the composition.
My 2 cents.

Scott

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:37 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.