New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Macphun Luminar

darthalal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macphun Luminar

Anyone here tried Luminar yet to see how it deals with X-Trans files? I purchased it myself, but I'm still trying to get a grasp on where/what everything is, and have found it a little tedious to use so far (though this may be just part of the learning curve because it's quite different from LR to me), so I'm not quite confident in my ability to properly process an image in it yet. Just curious how other Fuji users have found it to work for them.

Nov 21, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Seabassius
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macphun Luminar

I've tried it. I can't say I see a difference between LRCC and it. Some files it imported seemed to have different color balance. I like having the camera presets in adobe.

I saw post on DP where someone showed some cat pic examples. He was having a hard time recovering highlights with fuji files. Someone from Macphun came on the board and seemed responsive. He sent over the files to them and said they got back to him saying they technical team knows what the issue is and it will be fixed in the December update. Internet sourced so make of that what you will.

You're right though, it is a ton adjustments you can make from within one program. My biggest sticking point is having to load one file at a time. That is likely not going to work with my workflow. Seems interesting though. I may still go back and look at some old sony and D800 raw files and see what it lets me do. Problem is know which file I want through the finder window since that his how you have to load the photo. I really missed the photostrip at the bottom.

Nov 21, 2016 at 07:02 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macphun Luminar

Tried it but wasn't overly impressed. Working an imaged seemed to take a long time, compared to similar adjustments made with LR. Maybe I've been using Adobe too long. At this time, I'm not willing to expend the time and energy to learn a new program. I will wait for others to figure out a good workflow before I open it again. I must say on behalf of Luminar it is cheap, though I'm still grappling with why I made the purchase.

Nov 21, 2016 at 08:17 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macphun Luminar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It sounds like they echo my own pretty strongly at this point.

I'm so used to LR and Iridient being able to have many files open at once, that I didn't even think to check before preordering - I was just excited that it seemed like it could do everything I needed all in one program, without a monthly subscription. Specifically, the better cloning/removal tools, that are pretty much the only thing I currently use Photoshop for.

After playing a little more; Most of the built-in presets seemed pretty extreme and rather garish, and I found it very slow (for me) to work my way through all of the filters and options and process an image. I'm sure that would get faster with time/familiarity. I thought this was a neat idea at first, and was excited to try it out, but now that I've used it a bit more, I can say I'm not really a fan of the "create your own workspace" idea. It seems like it's just a recipe to constantly be searching for the slider/filter/setting you want, where in other editors, it's always in the same place, so you know where to look. I think, like James R said, I will wait for others to figure it out before giving it a shot again, unless I find myself with a lot of free time (hard to come by these days).

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.