New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Newborn with mother

ShalomYoseph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newborn with mother

I'm a little torn on this image. Does the mother being out of focus detract from it, or is the focus on the baby sufficient?

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newborn with mother

If the mother was *significantly* out of focus, like the baby on a changing table and the mother was standing a foot or two behind, that selectivity could work. When they're this close together and she's this close to in focus, it just looks like a focus miss.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newborn with mother

Yeah... that's kind of what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input!

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newborn with mother

ShalomYoseph wrote:
Yeah... that's kind of what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input!

Care to share your EXIF information? We might be able to help you if we knew what settings you shot this at. And welcome to photocritique.

Steve

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:15 PM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newborn with mother

I'd have to go back and look it up, but If I recall it was shot at f/1.8. Unfortunately, there's no help for me on this one. The focus choice was intentional. Just a bad call on my part.

Nov 21, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newborn with mother

It is a very sweet photo, Samuel. and that overcomes any technical consideration.
From what I can see you had to use a high ISO (6400), but the image looks pretty clean which is great for a 7D.
One problem I see is that the whole image looks OOF and I don't see any area in focus in your image and even the baby looks soft on my monitor. That makes me think that may be your SS (1/64 sec.) was a bit too low, unless you used a tripod or the lens needs some AF microadjustment. Hard to say though. May be too much NR?
You can recover some focus in PS . Here is an attempt but you can do a better job with the original file.
One last thing: unless this image was taken more than four years ago you need to set the right date/time in your camera
Socrate

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:12 AM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newborn with mother

Haha, you really crawled through that Exif data, didn't you? The image is, actually, from four years ago. I posted it for critique because I'm refining my portfolio and, while I really like this image even with the weird focus, I wasn't sure if others would like it as much. The high iso/low SS combination is because this was a candid shot I grabbed in a pretty dim living room, after I had finished doing a more formal, lit photo session with the baby. The warm window light and the worn out but at peace look on the mom's face with her 5-day old son just jumped out at me and to me, the softness kind of added to that feeling, but I guess that bit didn't really translate. Thanks for taking the time to work on it though. I appreciate that, but there's no need. I've pulled it from my portfolio selection.

Nov 22, 2016 at 03:05 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newborn with mother

+1 @ Socrate focus recovery efforts. Never a perfect solution, but lemonade comes in many forms.

I realize that there is the aspect of emotional attachment that trumps technical in many instances. In that regard, the capture of the moment of the "at peace" look on the mom's face ... imo, THAT is the message.

As to the OP aspect of the image, pulling it from the port is sage, imo. Besides the focus, the color is kind of a wreck (sorry @ harsh, but for portfolio purposes, sugar coating doesn't do you any favors).

Imo, the value of the image is indeed the capture of the mom's emotive. The baby is secondary / ancillary information. In that regard, I think the image can be a lemonade candidate by mitigation of the color detractors via mono, and some additional adjustments to try and pull us more toward the real message at mom's emotive.

Without knowing what else you have in your port, this might be something to go creative with, or maybe you've got other images that equally capture the kind of emotive you've captured here. Port or not, I think the capture of her emotive was very nicely recognized.

As to inclusion in your port ... OP, not a snowball's chance. Rework, maybe @ depends on how it fits with your other available pieces.

Here's a first stab for consideration at some lemonade. Other creative treatments could be applied as wel, but I tried to go for something soft and classic to harmonize with the "at peace" message ... as always, S&P to taste.

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newborn with mother

Exif helps understanding the photo techs for your comments. I always check it before commenting.
I think Kent suggestion is a very good one. You can really recover this photo by converting in B&W and by giving some mood that fits your taste. Here is another suggestion.
Socrate

Nov 22, 2016 at 01:42 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newborn with mother

I'm not a portrait guy but I have enjoyed reading and watching this thread.

After seeing the edits, I agree this can still be a nice image.

And with my personal experiance with my own work, I really enjoy some good lemonade from time to time.

Good stuff guys!

Dave

Nov 22, 2016 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.