New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best way to gel large modifiers

voidsherpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to gel large modifiers

What is the best way to go about this, specifically octabanks where it's not a 1:1 sheet on the internal baffle? Also any ideas on how one would gel Bron Para's or other indirect banks?

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to gel large modifiers

You suspend a gel sheet inside the inner baffle, and it doesn't need to be an exact fit. I've seen clips for this purpose that attach to the SB rods. Strobes with an umbrella fitting can take a frame to position a smaller gel near the bulb.

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:57 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to gel large modifiers

rico wrote:
I've seen clips for this purpose that attach to the SB rods.

Would you happen to have a link, or some photos of this? Having no luck searching.

Nov 23, 2016 at 04:58 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to gel large modifiers

An FMer recommended a superior product awhile ago, but I can't find the post. The standard route is the Manfrotto Multiclip. Inside a SB, one end will clip to the nearest rod (pocketed or bare) while the other end clips to the gel sheet. You need at least two clips, with four being best. Placement should closer to the bulb so less gel area is needed.

Nov 24, 2016 at 01:05 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to gel large modifiers

You only need to cover the flash tube to gel any large modifier, umbrella, soft box, octa etc. Any clip or clamp that holds the gel is the one that works, no one particular model is best in all circumstances. That's why one wants to have a few options, small spring clips easily hold a gel to a speed ring in a soft box for example, I use small pony clamps, whereas they are a bit big to clip to a rib. A simple binder clip from a stationary shop will clip to a rib or the rim of a metal reflector and they are cheap and plentiful.

Nov 26, 2016 at 01:08 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to gel large modifiers

rico wrote:
The standard route is the Manfrotto Multiclip.

Are these clips pretty rounded, no sharp corners? Even then do they tear up softbox covers because they are now stretched across a single friction point? Maybe it's just Rotalux's not having durability.

Will pick up a couple, thanks for the responses. Would still be interested in what the better product was that you refer to.

Nov 26, 2016 at 07:22 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to gel large modifiers

The better product is Lowel Gel Jawz, mentioned on another site:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=14454822

No personal experience, but I expect it to work fine whether the SB rod is exposed or in a pocket. Unlike tape, these clips are designed to hold if temperatures rise. Depending on the size of your SB (or umbrella) and the profile, the needed gel size may be relatively large. Some photogs simply attach their gel to the inner baffle, which sounds reasonable (can do that with paper clips for free).

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:44 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to gel large modifiers

Easiest way is to buy large amount of gel and put it on the outside

I also bought large binder clips and large paper clips (4" inches) from target today that seem to work well too.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to gel large modifiers

A different approach is to select a large modifier like bounce or diffusion panel. These illuminate the subject directly, or serve as a b/g. The source can be smaller and employ smaller gels: I use a 3' fresnel that takes 2'x3' samples from my Rosco swatchbook. The b/g of this image was 2'x4' diffuser lit from behind with a blue gel, SOOC:

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.