New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

z4roadster

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

I need advice as to what type of battery pack would be best for the speed light. I just hate to have to change batteries in the middle of a shoot. I've seen the type that holds 8 AA's but think a rechargeable one would be better. Any help would be appreciated

Nov 20, 2016 at 08:43 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

I have used both the 8AA and big rechargeable types. I prefer the AA type lighter, smaller lasts about as long as the bigger rechargeable type.

Nov 21, 2016 at 03:46 AM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

I use several of these (the Godox version) with off camera flash units. Lasts forever and has extremely fast flash recycle time. http://flashhavoc.com/godox-pb960-lithium-power-pack-review/

Nov 21, 2016 at 04:50 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

I have the smaller (6 or 8 AA per pack) batterypacks (Chinese knock off SD800's )for my Nikon SB800's as well as Godox PB960's (which can take two speedlights at the same time without suffering much, if anything, in the, compared to the SD800 already faster, recycle times)

While the AA batterypacks are indeed smaller, and more convenient when you're not going to push things to the limit, the PB960 are far superior in capacity.
Which translates in much faster recycle times, and possibilities for (near) continuous use of the speedlights at high output.

So if I go somewhere and expect to use my speedlight somewhat more intensily (eg birthday party) I also take an AA batterypack with me, just in case.

But when I have to e.g. shoot a catwalk show, and know/expect having to, due to bad available light, use several speedlights simultaneously (as one lightsource) to be able to shoot the show with adequate fast recycle times and reach, I always rely on the PB960.

I expect the same if you eg use speedlights with larger light modifiers as location lighting

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:36 AM
z4roadster

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

I appreciate the replies, I'll decide which way to go.

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:08 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

At this point, the cheapest battery pack is the Godox V860II flash, since it has a built-in lithium battery that is the equivalent of an 8-AA external pack plus the internal 4-AA requirement. It is also the most convenient: internal RF trigger, no cables, etc.

Adoram re-brands them:
http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2nk.html?EmailPrice=T

If for some reason you have to have an external battery pack, the Godox PB-960 is quite flexible - it will take splitters and concentrators, for up to four flashes (with two splitters) or one very fast recharge (with one concentrator).

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rechargeable battery pack for Canon speed light

A pack like the PB-960 will still be faster than the V860 with internal lithium pack, which is rated 1.5 seconds at full power. The PB-960 IIRC is around a second and you can also get a Y-cable to pull power from both outlets into a single flash unit for the fastest recycling times.

That said, if you shoot a lot at or near full power and rely on ~1 second recycling times, you may end up pushing into the thermal shutdown threshold of your speedlite. IIRC, the Canon 600EXRT is in the 50-60 consecutive full power flashes...

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.