New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

How to enter the MFT world?

robgo2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to enter the MFT world?

I am asking for a friend who wants to advance from an old P&S to a more serious camera. Mostly, this is for shooting landscapes and nature. He is interested in compactness (both of the camera body and lenses,) usability and IQ. Price is not much of an object. Any suggestions along these lines will be appreciated.

Rob

Nov 20, 2016 at 06:23 PM
owyhee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to enter the MFT world?

I would direct them to an OMD-EM10 and the Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-5.6. Compact and light. If they like the system they can move up to the higher end lenses and bodies.

Nov 21, 2016 at 01:01 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to enter the MFT world?

Panasonic G80/85 is a recent issue, packed with features. Panny menu system is less tortuous than Oly.

Kelly Cook

Nov 21, 2016 at 06:21 AM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to enter the MFT world?

There are a lot of good options, but I'd probably go G85 as well, which has loads of features at a reasonable price. However, if compactness is most important, the GX85 is sort of a smaller/lighter version missing a few features, like weatherproofing.

Nov 21, 2016 at 07:27 AM
mesoklay

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to enter the MFT world?

For landscapes, I'd go with the EM-5 II for their high resolution mode. It's weatherproof and pretty compact as well. If price really isn't an object, the best thing is the E-M1 II of course.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:09 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to enter the MFT world?

mesoklay wrote:
For landscapes, I'd go with the EM-5 II for their high resolution mode. It's weatherproof and pretty compact as well. If price really isn't an object, the best thing is the E-M1 II of course.

Thanks to all for the responses so far. Regarding the E-M1 II, I checked it out and was quite surprised by how big it is, slightly larger than a Sony A7ii.

Rob

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to enter the MFT world?

Since he is not price sensitive but wants small and feature rich I think the E-M5II or GX85 are the top candidates. E-M1II, GH4 and GX8 are all too large. G85 looks to be a very nice camera and if he wants a deeper grip give that a close look, but it is a bit bigger than either the GX85 or E-M5II. There is really no reason to consider the E-M10II as it is practically the same size as the E-M5II which has many more features. I suppose the PEN-F is worth a look as it has a 20MP sensor but size wise it is the same as the E-M5II which has more control inputs.

Personally I've been shooting the E-M5II for landscape the past year and been very happy with that. Fortunately m43 has a lot of choice and he may find he prefers Panasonic to Olympus for whatever reasons. In general IQ is very similar between all of the recent m43 cameras so he can choose mostly based on form factor, ergonomics and features.

If he is really interested in IQ and keeping size reasonable consider the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. I have the Oly 12-40/2.8 as my landscape workhorse but it is a bit bigger and heavier than the 12-35/2.8 while only offering slightly better IQ at certain focal lengths.

Nov 23, 2016 at 06:48 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to enter the MFT world?

The compactness question, to me, revolves heavily around which lenses will be used. With small primes, the GX85 and E-M5ii are both pretty small. Purely for landscapes, I'd come down on the E-M5 side to get the weather proofing. With larger primes or zooms, like the 12-40 or 40-150, I tend to use my E-M5ii with an additional grip, such as the HLD-8G. At that point, it's in the same size class as the G85 and E-M1. So it may make sense to identify a few lenses and then choose a right-sized body to go with them. Also, most of the weather proofed lenses are on the larger side.

It's funny, while the E-M1 and the A7Rii are in the same size class, the A7Rii just feels bulkier to me for some reason. It may be because the lenses are generally larger, but I think it's also because it just has the chunkier and slower feel.

Nov 24, 2016 at 07:31 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to enter the MFT world?

I would go with the E-M5 Mark II with its 5-axis image stabilization. It makes a big difference in image sharpness. Good starter lenses include the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom and the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 prime lens. The Olympus Pro f/2.8 constant aperture zoom lenses are extremely good in terms of image quality.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM
SkippyW

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to enter the MFT world?

Focus on the glass (no pun intended). Put your money into the right lenses. Bodies change like the weather these days, but good glass will pay off in the long run.

I'd suggest to find the system that offers the lenses you want to use and then match up a body you like in that system.

Jan 06, 2017 at 03:53 PM
String
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to enter the MFT world?

Or he could go the alternate route and get a lightly used E-M1.1 for really cheap these days; still a great camera and not one he's likely to outgrow any time soon. Not quite as compact as an E-M5/10 but still pretty small compared to the Canikon alternatives.

Jan 06, 2017 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password