New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Relentless

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Relentless

Another shot taken Friday afternoon from a new vantage point.
Heavy police presence any where near this fire now and I was told to move a long several times whenever I stopped or turned up a road that was too close.

The title is derived from the relentless sun and blue sky's that caused this fire in the first place as well as the stubborn fire itself which jumped one of the break lines yesterday.

Note there are no clouds or fog in this scene. Everything you see is smoke.

It is now over 5,200 acres and only 35% contained.

I have played around with a few crops but can't decide so I'm posting the original un-cropped to see what your thoughts are.

Dave

Relentless

Nov 20, 2016 at 01:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Relentless

I don't like the starburst effect here. It takes the muted scene in a conflicting direction for me. Maybe crop below the sun, more pano?

Scott

Nov 20, 2016 at 02:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Relentless

I agree with Scott, this makes the Smokie Mountains live up o its name. Well seen and executid

Nov 20, 2016 at 03:20 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Relentless

Nice image, but I would crop out the sun. It has a weird appearance and does not add in my opinion.

Nov 20, 2016 at 06:15 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Relentless

Well damn, now I gotta come up with a new title by taking the sun out.

Thanks Folks. I already had the below crop ready in anticipation of all your thoughts. I kinda figured the sun star was of bad taste and may be seen as a distraction.
My intentions by keeping the sun was to illustrate the the connection between this forest fire and the relentless dry heat we have been in for months. Kinda like a close-up of a steers (bull) skull laying in the desert with the sun piercing down upon it.

I tried to pull out better details of the few distinct fires (billowing smoke) that can be seen in the image but funky things started to happen so I back off.

Ben - This is actually the foot hills of the Blue Ridge mountains and not considered the Smokies. This is about 30 minutes from my house. However, seeing it like this you can't help but think of it as the Smokies, that's for sure.

So here it is without the sun. Better?
Any suggestions that could improve this further?

Dave

Smoldering

Nov 20, 2016 at 06:35 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Relentless

The gradated layering created by the smoke plays off very nicely against the oranges and russets at lower left.

In my area during forest fire season we often experience pyro-cumulus clouds formed by the intense heat. The clouds rise probably ten thousand feet and often form their own weather patterns including thunder and lightning. Have you seen any of these?

Nov 20, 2016 at 06:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Relentless

HUGE improvement by losing the sun!

Jeff

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:03 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Relentless

Brings to mind my father who loved to go to the scenes of fires. He'd listen for the sirens going off at the local fire house, go by there where they posted on a chalk board the location of the fire, and then follow the trucks to the scene. He was an amateur photographer but didn't take photos of this, just enjoyed the drama.
Which leads me to, did you ever consider taking photos of the firefighters? They must be all around you, and in my book, they are heroes putting their lives on the line.
Steve

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:18 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Relentless

Rick Joyce wrote:
The gradated layering created by the smoke plays off very nicely against the oranges and russets at lower left.

In my area during forest fire season we often experience pyro-cumulus clouds formed by the intense heat. The clouds rise probably ten thousand feet and often form their own weather patterns including thunder and lightning. Have you seen any of these?

Thanks Rick.
No I have not seen this phenomenon from this fire yet but just the other day my brother also mentioned this to me and I had not heard of it before. The really strange part about this fire is that, when the smoke cleared for a brief moment while I was right in front of the known burned area, I could not see any damage or black burned areas. The trees were intact and still had leaves on them. All I can figure is this is somehow staying on the ground but I have seen night images of it and it does appear to be taking everything out in it's path.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
HUGE improvement by losing the sun!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I should have followed my gut to begin with I suppose and saved some face.

Dave

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:25 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Relentless

eeneryma wrote:
Brings to mind my father who loved to go to the scenes of fires. He'd listen for the sirens going off at the local fire house, go by there where they posted on a chalk board the location of the fire, and then follow the trucks to the scene. He was an amateur photographer but didn't take photos of this, just enjoyed the drama.
Which leads me to, did you ever consider taking photos of the firefighters? They must be all around you, and in my book, they are heroes putting their lives on the line.
Steve

They wont let the public anywhere near the entire area and the brave men and women are in deep remote areas that even they have trouble getting into. The closest I have gotten to any of them are the helicopters and even that area has been closed off to the public now.

Trust me, I would love to get some up close shots of them back in there fighting the flames but it just isn't going to happen. I know I got close one day though because when they stopped me, they asked me if I was with the press when they saw my camera gear. You can only imagine how fast the gears were spinning in my head at that moment as I gave them some line of crap without actually saying no I'm not with the press.
I could tell they weren't terribly impressed when 3 more officers started to approach my truck.

Dave

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:36 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Relentless

Often in extremely hot forest fires a strange thing occurs when an area scorched and reduced to ashes finds another nearby area virtually untouched.

I am told that that happens because the large amount of oxygen consumed by the active fire literally sucks oxygen from nearby areas thereby starving and sparing the second area.

Small animals such as rabbits and squirrels have been found dead after a forest fire has raged. Strangely there were no signs of scorching or burning because their deaths were caused by asphyxiation from the same lack of oxygen.

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.