Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Just came across this newly released series on photographers. I've watched 4 out of the 6 episodes so far durning my dark winter mornings. I found it to be a very well produced show with beautiful cinematography and interesting tidbits into the workings of these professional photographers.

Here is a link to the show: http://www.netflix.com/title/80133187

I'm posting in Canon and Wildlife boards as I think all are shooting with Canon gear and most have to do with wildlife although there are episodes more focused on travel/culture photography and adventure sports photography.

Well worth a watch if you use Netflix and like photography IMHO, YMMV....

Nov 20, 2016 at 09:59 AM
NIH NSF
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

I just finished the series, quite amazing. On the other hand, I do feel some of Art's staged shots went a bit too far.

PS: I guess it's sponsored by Canon, many 1dx IIs and one 5d IV ( or III).

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

I watched the first episode last week, but i confess it didn't really capture my attention.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

it has some beautiful imagery, but it's not as deep as, for example, Planet Earth II. On ep2 there was this guy trying to shoot snow leopards and I had the impression he just barely made an effort and went there for a few days.

Whereas there's a very famous Canon ambassador, Steve Winter, who spent many many months there just to get a glimpse of these elusive cats (and caught them beautifully using camera traps with off camera flash combined; check his work).

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

evertdoorn wrote:
it has some beautiful imagery, but it's not as deep as, for example, Planet Earth II. On ep2 there was this guy trying to shoot snow leopards and I had the impression he just barely made an effort and went there for a few days.

Whereas there's a very famous Canon ambassador, Steve Winter, who spent many many months there just to get a glimpse of these elusive cats (and caught them beautifully using camera traps with off camera flash combined; check his work).

Yeah, you can't compare to PE which is produced over years with crazy budgets. I agree the Snow Leopard segment was a waste and shouldn't have been included in the final production because it was an obvious bust and yes not enough time and effort put into it.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

yes I guess the PE budget makes a very big difference.

Still it's very nice to watch! I still have some episodes to go and will surely watch them when I have some space.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Thanks for heads up Geoff....do I get CME credits? I am really excited about PE2...by all accounts it looks like it is going to be outrageous....plus having David Attenborough doing the narration is a treat all by itself.
Eric

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

eyelaser wrote:
Thanks for heads up Geoff....do I get CME credits? I am really excited about PE2...by all accounts it looks like it is going to be outrageous....plus having David Attenborough doing the narration is a treat all by itself.
Eric

Well once you retire and become a professional photog then yes you will qualify for CME credits watching this series....Canon will be checking up on you once they name you there next Explorer of Big Cats Light

I didn't even know about PEII until reading the replies....downloading Ep 01 and 02 right now....don't ask me how

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:38 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

That sequence of the snakes in ep1 is just epic. And some unique snow leopard material in ep2.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Many Thanks for the heads-up on this, Geoff!

I just viewed the 1st episode .. Quite nicely done..... Shows an amazing view of Humpback Whales that very few of us mortals will ever see!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series

LuckyT

PS... The fact that Canon is widely used here does not bother me in the least!

Nov 20, 2016 at 01:09 PM
SvdWijst

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Watched all episodes in 1 day last week. Enjoyed all of em

Nov 20, 2016 at 03:39 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Only watched the first episode so far but interestingly this is the first 4K show/movie I've seen on Netflix that actually looks like 4K. All the rest have just seemed like 1080p with slightly higher sharpening.

Nov 20, 2016 at 04:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

evertdoorn wrote:
That sequence of the snakes in ep1 is just epic. And some unique snow leopard material in ep2.

I agree, the snakes sequence was amazing. Watched E01 and E02. Will watch E03 tonight....
Too bad it is only 6 episodes total for PEII. Years of production all boiled down to 6hrs of TV. That is some aggressive culling;D

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Kenny Donahue
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

I found the amount of "Drone" (I hate that word) footage interesting as well as the unique angle acquired with the DSLR attached to it. As camera and aircraft equipment progress, I wonder how long it will be before a multi-rotor is part of a photographers kit along with their tripod.

On a side note, I would have liked to have seen more of the finished images. The Antarctic was probably the best for that in my opinion. I also liked how he got into some of his post processing.

Nov 25, 2016 at 06:22 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

My friend knows I'm a photography nerd he sent me this to watch. Haven't had time to check it out

Nov 26, 2016 at 02:44 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

arbitrage wrote:
I agree, the snakes sequence was amazing. Watched E01 and E02. Will watch E03 tonight....
Too bad it is only 6 episodes total for PEII. Years of production all boiled down to 6hrs of TV. That is some aggressive culling;D

So far i've found all of it to be just astonishing cinematography. The BBC gets (in my opinion unfair) criticism about how good value for money it is, but stuff like this really sticks up two fingers to it's critics.

Nov 26, 2016 at 03:13 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

just watched ep1. Well worth it stunning imagery

Nov 26, 2016 at 07:32 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

Good find Geoff. I quite often watch Netflix fare to keep me distracted while on my Rowing Machine and haven't come across this. It seems that it will certainly make my workouts more palatable.

Db

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:22 AM
Macrogirl

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tales By Light on Netflix...

I loved the first and third episodes but as a bit of a gearhead I would have liked them to explain a bit more about what equipment they use when and why (particularly the underwater photographers).

Nov 27, 2016 at 08:43 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.