New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Portfolio Review

ShalomYoseph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portfolio Review

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, so I'm sorry if it's not. I'll happily delete and repost wherever it's appropriate.

I've been doing photography as a very part time thing for the past couple years while I worked on another project but my wife and I are planning a big move to new area and I've started sending out my resume and website/portfolio to potential new freelance clients to try to drum up enough business to make a full time go of it again once we move. I'm mostly targeting journalistic and editorial type clients (newspapers and magazines), but I'm not really in a position to turn down a good job if it comes my way either. Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to get a few more opinions on how the portfolio, and the website as a whole, present themselves, since I've been out of the recruiting new clients game for a bit. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

www.SamuelPerryPhotography.com

Nov 20, 2016 at 08:45 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portfolio Review

Samuel - It feels to me like you've got some very nice images on your site, but interspersed in every gallery are quite a few weaker ones as well. I would weed those out and try and tighten up the presentation and at the same time try and decide exactly who your target audience is going to be. There are a few images that seem to be out of focus as well. I think with some judicious editing and reprocessing some the images you can come up with a cohesive presentation that should help you get work. Where are you moving to from OKC. Are there any magazines actually left? At least ones that actually pay.

Nov 20, 2016 at 09:18 AM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portfolio Review

Thanks Peter. Do you mind if I ask which images you don't care for, and why? I promise you won't hurt my feelings There's definitely a mix of some much older images in there, shot with less than professional quality equipment and a lot less experience, but it's hard to be critical of myself. I've heard from several people to try to narrow a portfolio down to target a specific target audience, but I feel like for newspapers especially, being too stylized or not diverse enough is actually problematic. As for where we're moving, I'm actually not sure yet. It kind of depends on where either or both of us can find work, but we're looking to go north of the border into Canada, either B.C. or Ontario. Mostly, we're just ready for a big change.

Nov 21, 2016 at 02:36 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portfolio Review

Peter, who is a very successful photographer in the LA market, has given you some excellent feedback.

I'm more concerned about your expectations than I am about your portfolio. Many enthusiasts who find out I was a full time pro want to know how to get in the business. Too often, they have a romanticized view of what photography was like in its heyday, which I think was mid-60's to mid to late '80's.

I left full time photography prior to the digital revolution, which encompasses both image capture and marketing via the internet. This revolution has also affected newspapers and magazines. I have a friend who dabbles as a stringer for a mid sized market newspaper and he makes next to nothing for his work, he does it mostly for the thrill of seeing his work in print.

I suggest you do a lot more research into the realities of full time professional photography before you hitch your star to that wagon. Moving to another city would be hard enough, but moving to another country adds an order of magnitude level of difficulty.

I suggest you also look at the portfolios of the photographers already established in your target cities.

As for your portfolio, I agree with Peter. It needs to be tightened up. Also, I found your "Who" section the weakest. There's no consistency in style or your post processing.

Nov 21, 2016 at 02:41 PM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portfolio Review

Thanks again for everyone's comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. I actually agree that the "who" section could use the most work, and I'll spend some time trying to weed it out a bit. Do you think there's any value in having a diversity of styles in a portfolio, or is it more important to show a unified idea of what you do?

Also, for what it's worth, I'm not new to full time professional photography. I've actually been at it for over a decade, in a place with a pretty weak market for the kind of photography I do. We pursued a different business venture, with moderate success, for a couple years, but for unrelated reasons have decided to change locales.

Nov 21, 2016 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portfolio Review

ShalomYoseph wrote:
Also, for what it's worth, I'm not new to full time professional photography. I've actually been at it for over a decade, in a place with a pretty weak market for the kind of photography I do.

OK, I took the "very part time" as being like most who post who are weekenders.

If you don't think your current market supports your type of photography, what characteristics of your possibilities think we be better for you?

Nov 21, 2016 at 04:19 PM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portfolio Review

Specifically, I meant the print media market is weak here. The clients I have are good ones, just too few and far between, so I have to do a lot of supplementing with things like weddings and senior portraits and the like, but I don't directly market to that audience so it's a lot of work to attract clients when other jobs get slow.

To be clear, we're not moving to reboot my photography career. We're moving, and I'd like to reboot my photography career.

Nov 21, 2016 at 04:26 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portfolio Review

Hi Samuel…

First, I’m not a professional photographer, so I’ll leave it to others to comment on your photographs (although in my opinion, they’re very good). My background was in marketing, so I’ll approach your site critique from that perspective.

- Your “Blog” section hasn’t been updated for over a year and a half. If you’re currently sending your site to potential clients, you should update it with a few more current posts. Also, I think you should spend a little more time on writing about each post rather than “what you’ve been up to lately.” Granted, a blog should not be an exhaustive narrative, but a little more about each post would hopefully engage the reader a little more.

- Your portfolio sections (Who, What, Where, When) aren’t too descriptive when viewed from the perspective of a potential client. They also tend to a “cluttering” of various photographs instead of concentrating on a particular specialty. For example, under “Who” you have photographs of people, animals, weddings, etc. It might be better to organize your work under titles such as “Weddings”, “Sports”, “Portraits”, etc.

- Your “About” page is kind of sparse. Again, if I’m a potential client, I would want to know a little more about your photographic background, awards, publications, specialties you pursue, etc. Also, your photograph tends to portray you as an outdoors type photographer but I don’t necessarily think that is a market you’re after. You might want to consider changing your photo to reflect an environment you’re trying to sell.

- The opening photograph on your home page of the cobblestones doesn’t really appeal to me as a potential client. There are many other photographs in your portfolio that would be better for your splash page opening.

- Overall, I think you have many good photographs with most of them to be found in the sports, product, portrait, and wedding arenas. I would cull out the others to concentrate and highlight your talents.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your move and reigniting your photographic career.

Thanks
Tom

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:18 PM
ShalomYoseph

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portfolio Review

Tom,
Thanks so much for the additional perspective. That's very helpful!
I haven't actually started sending it out yet, but I'll definitely put together some more current blog posts before I do.
As for the "Who, What, Where, When" headers, that was my cutesie attempt at appealing to newspaper clients, which is who I work with most frequently. It's definitely been something that people either love or hate though. I'll give that some thought.
What kind of information do you think people may like to see on the "about" page. More about the kind of work I regularly do? Something more "philosophical"?

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portfolio Review

ShalomYoseph wrote:
Tom,
Thanks so much for the additional perspective. That's very helpful!
I haven't actually started sending it out yet, but I'll definitely put together some more current blog posts before I do.
As for the "Who, What, Where, When" headers, that was my cutesie attempt at appealing to newspaper clients, which is who I work with most frequently. It's definitely been something that people either love or hate though. I'll give that some thought.
What kind of information do you think people may like to see on the "about" page. More about the kind of work I regularly do? Something more
...Show more

I would emphasize the work you've done and what expertise you have that would make a prospective client want to hire you. Put yourself in the eyes of a client that was going to be looking at your web site. If you were going to hire you, what would you want to know that would entice you (client) to email or call you. Think of your "About" page as a mini resume...(not too lengthy), but highlight your strengths, experience and ability to deliver a quality product.

Nov 22, 2016 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password