New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Seeking advise.

Krwtek1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seeking advise.

I've been a lurker of the forum for over a year now. Well ever since I picked up my first DSLR over a year ago. My wife thought it would be a good idea to get a nice camera to capture the precious moments when our first was born. I haven't put it down since. I was interested intrigued. Now I know enough to function in manual mode most the time and achieve the results I desire but understand I have so much more to learn. I am finding myself wanting more. Not sure if it's another her lense or what. My camera is a d3300. I have the kit lens and a copy of the 35mm 1.8 nikkor. I am looking at picking up a new lens but realizing I'm lost in all the specs and whatnot. Then realizing one lens won't achieve all desired results in all scenarios I'm back to wondering if I shouldn't be looking at making a further investment in dx lenses, but starting over with a full frame platform. I feel as if most people go through this stage. Any helpful advise? Tales of similar scenarios and paths taken?

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:02 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seeking advise.

What do you think you're missing with your current setup? Want something wider? Want something with more reach? Budget?

I'd purchase a quality lens over a new body.

Do it all:
Sigma 24-105 f4 - full frame compatible

Wider:
24 or 28 1.8G - both full frame compatible

Telephoto:
70-200 f4 - full frame compatible

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:22 PM
Krwtek1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seeking advise.

I find myself wanting wider more than more reach. I'm sure that will change once I get a wider range. I don't mind spending some money on a lens if it will be compatible with a full frame later on. I just wasn't sure if the crop factor was limiting me, my mindset was limiting me, or my lense. I'd prefer to stay 5-600ish or under on a lens. If I was going to upgrade body's obviously my budget would change drastically. I'm sure the 3300 is capable of more than I am.

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:35 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seeking advise.

The tamron 17-50 2.8 would be a nice place to start.

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:38 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seeking advise.

Sounds like you shouldn't limit yourself to a DX lens at this point since you may go FF in the future.

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:42 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seeking advise.

If you have a photo editing software that allows you to sort the photos that are "keepers" by selecting what focal length they were taken with, that may be a way to find what "prime lens" is showing up as your natural or favorite style. For example if it is your kit zoom set around 18mm in most of the shots that stand out, that's a full frame equivalent field of view around 28mm. Or maybe your "best shots" were all with the 35mm DX lens (50mm) and a low aperture number/wide aperture opening.

Knowing your strongest or favorite field of view is good, and so is examining why some shots didn't turn out as you expected. That may help you decide more about what you want or need.

As far as cameras and lenses go, most all of them are pretty damn good these days.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.