Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

rudyr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Haven't had much time to scout out anything prior to the drive down. Any suggestions either for good shooting and/or just general hikes/outdoors?

tyia!

Nov 19, 2016 at 08:12 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Anza Borrego is always interesting and fun. Plus the salton sea has some unique features. Joshua Tree NP is nice and from there, if you 4wheel , you can head to Big Bear.

Cheers, Steve

Nov 19, 2016 at 08:56 PM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

there's a nice hike in a dry wash off hwy 74 in the santa rosa's and some great views of the valley farther up the road, especially for night shots......a fun swap meet on saturday afternoons at the community college if you wanna kill an hour....

Nov 20, 2016 at 09:40 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Living Desert Zoo and Gardens might interest you. Palm Springs Aerial Tramway takes you from high desert canyon to high mountain environment, can be spectacular under the right weather conditions. Past Salton Sea you can get into the dunes areas, some have a lot of ORV activity. Not sure how photogenic they might be but there are thermal features, mud volcanoes in the Salton Sea area. Google searching any of these things will turn up info, directions, etc.

Nov 20, 2016 at 04:48 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Specifics? Regarding photography, are you looking for landscapes? Wildlife? Astrophotography? You have them all within an hour's drive. To add to the recommendations so far, Salvation Mountain, inside and outside, is a unique opportunity. It's just east of Niland. In the wet weather we're having now, be sure to avoid the low elevation muddy areas no matter what kind of vehicle you have--unless you want to pay a lot to have a tracked vehicle tow you out. Alkali mud is worse than black ice.

Nov 20, 2016 at 05:40 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

The Indian Canyons, just a few miles south of downtown Palm Springs, are very nice. We just did the Andreas Canyon loop. A year-round running stream with little waterfalls, very interesting rock formations, complete with desert varnish, and many varieties of palms, and other plant life. Well worth the time, IMHO.

http://www.indian-canyons.com/

Nov 29, 2016 at 03:27 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Head up the hill for a quick drive to Joshua Tree NP and its plethora of photo-ops.

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:09 AM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

I used alltrails . com they have trail maps, ratings, and reviews. It is cool. Do you want a 2 mile flat, then one of the canyons is fine. 5 mile strenuous... There are locations with wild palm trees fairly easy or hike into the rocks and ridges.

Dec 05, 2016 at 01:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Craig Gillette wrote:
Living Desert Zoo and Gardens might interest you. Palm Springs Aerial Tramway takes you from high desert canyon to high mountain environment, can be spectacular under the right weather conditions. Past Salton Sea you can get into the dunes areas, some have a lot of ORV activity. Not sure how photogenic they might be but there are thermal features, mud volcanoes in the Salton Sea area. Google searching any of these things will turn up info, directions, etc.

Yeah if you walk to the very end of the living desert you can stroll into the foothills a bit and there is a lookout point for the San Andreas fault. You can't really see any fault lines being there is cool. Bug thumbs up Aerial Tramway and Joshua Tree state park. Been to both places 3 times.

Dec 05, 2016 at 05:20 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

We have been to Palm Springs several times. The last time I was looking for something else to see. I noticed hwy's 243 and 74 that run along the west and south sides of MT San Jacinto. We never made it because I found it a few days before we left. We met others that did that drive who said it was scenic but it is a long day. You might be interested. If we go back I'll try it.

In the North 243 Starts at Banning.

~original[/IMG]

Dec 05, 2016 at 05:45 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

This will date me... Jimmy Durante "kicked the buck" in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world on highway 74.

Dec 09, 2016 at 12:15 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Heading to Palm Desert for a week - any recommendations?

Zenon Char wrote:
We have been to Palm Springs several times. The last time I was looking for something else to see. I noticed hwy's 243 and 74 that run along the west and south sides of MT San Jacinto. We never made it because I found it a few days before we left. We met others that did that drive who said it was scenic but it is a long day. You might be interested. If we go back I'll try it.

In the North 243 Starts at Banning.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/Untitled_zpsqqjehtiy.jpg~original

This is indeed an interesting route. Starting from the Palm Desert end, this highway is called the "Palms to Pines Hwy." It is scenic, but the dilemma is that the tortuous twists and turns on the initial steep climb from Palm Desert means you have to glue your eyes on the road and not on the views. Take advantage of the turn out vistas. You may want to start on the Banning end so that you do not have to cross traffic on blind curves to turn onto the vista points, but that also depends on time of day (sun direction). Take a mid-drive break at Idyllwild, a nice little mountain town.

Dec 09, 2016 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.