New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

keith_cooper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

I've been trying out Luminar, the latest editing package from Macphun, and have written up some notes on using it.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/luminar.html

I'd note that I'm looking at it mainly as a plugin working from Photoshop, but it does work as a stand-alone editor too.

Hope it's of some interest...

Nov 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Only Apple?

EBH

Nov 19, 2016 at 02:59 PM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

EB-1 wrote:
Only Apple?

EBH

'Fraid so - the clue is in the company name ;-)

Nov 19, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Thanks, Keith, for the review. I purchased Luminar and have been playing with it as a plugin within Photoshop CC. For a first release it is impressive. The interface is similar to their other products (Creative Kit and Aurora).

Nov 19, 2016 at 04:04 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Too bad it doesn't do panoramas or text. If so I'd consider getting rid of PS.

Jack

Nov 20, 2016 at 07:58 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Any people on here try ACDsee 10?

A great program that does just about everything. Layers, Database, and so much more.

You can view your images, and right click and have them open in Photoshop or Lightroom or whatever you decided to make the default editor.

And its browser alone is worth having even if you don't use the program for edits.
But its more than capable of that. Try a 30 day trial.

http://www.acdsystems.com/en/community/post/reasons

Nov 20, 2016 at 08:14 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

jforkner wrote:
Too bad it doesn't do panoramas or text. If so I'd consider getting rid of PS.

Jack

It is V1.0 and a long way from a PS substitute.

Then again, PS doesn't do panoramas either at the sort of level I use for some of our work...

From my POV Luminar offers a useful set of filters for PS (and LR to some extent) not a substitute for either (at the moment)

Nov 20, 2016 at 08:22 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

keith_cooper wrote:
I've been trying out Luminar, the latest editing package from Macphun, and have written up some notes on using it.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/luminar.html

I'd note that I'm looking at it mainly as a plugin working from Photoshop, but it does work as a stand-alone editor too.

Hope it's of some interest...

Very nice review for those who are MacPhun uninitiated !

I have received a ton of offers for Lunimar as I already have everything else from MacPhun (CK Kit inc. Tonality & Snapheal etc. plus all variations of Aurora) ! I simply don't see the need for this for people such as myself, as everything can be done in their existing programs e.g. Aurora 2017 > Intensify > Snapheal. And Tonality is just superb for B&Ws.

I do love their programs though and now only use LR6 CC to finish off / insert copyright and signatures etc.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Picked up a copy during the pre-release sale. Have only played with it a little. Interface is rather different than LR, so it will take some time to dig in. I have their other programs and use them as plugins from LR.

More choices are always good.

Nov 20, 2016 at 08:09 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

For those who haven't noticed, I put up a "First hard use" post earlier. You might find it of use.

Robert

I use it as a full featured plugin to Lr, but in conversations with Macphun, they hint at adding DAM capacity. Could be interesting.

Robert

Nov 22, 2016 at 01:19 PM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

After a few weeks the initial 'new toy' uses fade and I start looking at real uses ...this happens with any new software/hardware product I test - far better to try it out for a write-up than use it on a client's time ;-)

I've recently provided a whole stack of large prints for a local company. Mostly local images, they wanted one of a sports stadium I'd not got. The stadium (the company are sponsors) supplied an image, and they asked me to print it in the collection of prints.

Whilst the image was fine from a resolution POV, it had been very poorly processed. Using the polarising filter for the blue sky, the structure (masked) to bring back a bit of detail in clouds and the foliage adjustment for the grass, I was quickly able to make a much better looking print on a wall.

That one job was a quick and good enough fix to push it up my 'choice list' when fixing things.

Dec 03, 2016 at 07:07 AM
maxpower0

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

Keith, the link is broken.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:52 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · looking at Luminar by Macphun

The link should auto redirect to the new page (the site was re-written from scratch last year), it's this one

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/macphun-luminar-review/

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.