Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

I mean at ISOs over maybe 400...

Nov 18, 2016 at 05:30 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

From DXO, they seem fairly close with a slight advantage to the Canon.

The Oly E-M5 seems to be about a stop different in what it records versus what is measured which is maybe a bit more than most cameras and a bit more than the 80D.

That is the original E-M5 though, did you mean the current one?

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___1076_793

Nov 18, 2016 at 05:44 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

I did mean the original, the E-M5. Thanks for that - although I'm not familiar with those charts. I didn't see anything specifically addressing noise. Maybe I just don't know how to interpret the charts in that regard - well, no maybe about it, I've never looked at them before. It's looking to me like the 80D can be regarded as superior (except for the factor of IBIS)?

Nov 18, 2016 at 08:47 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

The 80D *is* superior, according to DXOs numbers, by about a stop at low-ISO and by about half of a stop at high-ISO.

Given that the sensor in the 80D is a little under a stop 'larger', it's a very good showing for the Olympus.

And yes, IBIS is a huge factor; where the 80D will be demonstrably superior, assuming you're not pushing the limits of the E-M5s sensor, will be in burst tracking performance and ability to focus isolate subjects, while the E-M5 will likely be a more accurate stills shooter when trying to focus isolate subjects, and obviously better with unstabilized lenses.

Nov 18, 2016 at 09:43 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

Here ya go.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:05 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

The mFT sensor has about half the APS-C that's about half the size of a fullframe i e quarterframe... It also has 16 vs 24MP in this case. And it does have more noise...

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:19 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

If the best crop sensor Canon has can not outperform the 3-4 year old E-M5 sensor they should give up. I have the E-M5 and you can see shadow noise even at ISO 400 and I wouldn't go over ISO 1600 as a rule. DR and noise seems to be about on par with 7D. From what I've seen E-M5 II barely improves the sensor at all, all the improvements are in the rest of the camera.

Overall m4/3 has made the least progress in the last 4 years, although the new E-M1 II sensor is good up to about ISO 1600 but is beaten handily by the D500/D7200 at higher ISO

Nov 23, 2016 at 02:35 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If the best crop sensor Canon has can not outperform the 3-4 year old E-M5 sensor they should give up.

I you bothered to look at the above referred data than you SHOULD see that it trumps that 'ol quaterframe. If you don't then...

Nov 23, 2016 at 04:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

Disgruntled former employee complains about Canon. Film at 11.

EBH

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

artificialyello wrote:
I you bothered to look at the above referred data than you SHOULD see that it trumps that 'ol quaterframe. If you don't then...

If you bothered to learn comprehension then you would see I never said it didn't.

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:03 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

I think most of the 16mp M4/3 cameras are about on par with a camera like the older 7D

Maybe a slight advantage to the E-M5 over the 7D.

I also think they (recent m4/3) are pretty close to the newer Canon APSC cameras with the main difference being the M4/3 cameras generally have a base ISO of 200 while the Canon 80D has decent ISO 100 as the base.

At ISO 200 and up (where most M4/3 live) they seem to run fairly close with a slight advantage to the Canon 80D in noise ETC. That extra range to ISO 100 can be a pretty big deal for many though, for others not so much.

I certainly didn't see any advantage generally for noise for my 7D (sold) over my GX7 and the GX7 is a lot more usable with higher spec.

I didn't like my 7D over ISO 3200 and mostly have that as my maximum with my GX7 though will use 6400 if I have to (I don't have to often as I have a better camera for high ISO).

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:27 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Overall m4/3 has made the least progress in the last 4 years, although the new E-M1 II sensor is good up to about ISO 1600 but is beaten handily by the D500/D7200 at higher ISO

I'm noticing this as well. While I maintain my interest in m4/3, the real killer is high-ISO performance. Being limited to say ISO1600 isn't really a 'compromise' coming from a 6D, that's abject surrender!

But I will keep my eye on them. There's something extremely alluring about having an extremely compact system that's very quick to use so long as the light is decent enough, especially if primarily for web output.

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:45 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

takowasa wrote:
Here ya go.

Excellent! Thanks much!

Nov 23, 2016 at 08:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 80D noise vs. Oly E-M5: anyone know?

johnctharp wrote:
I'm noticing this as well. While I maintain my interest in m4/3, the real killer is high-ISO performance. Being limited to say ISO1600 isn't really a 'compromise' coming from a 6D, that's abject surrender!

But I will keep my eye on them. There's something extremely alluring about having an extremely compact system that's very quick to use so long as the light is decent enough, especially if primarily for web output.

To me from a size point of view m4/3 makes the most sense for mirrorless. The lenses are truly much more compact than even APS-C lenses, they are often brilliant performers and the cameras Oly and Panasonic make are really nice to use. Alas the sensor is just not in the same league IMO. Maybe if there was a SOny EXMOR R back lit m4/3 sensor we might see better performance but the E-M1 II even falls behind the 7DII at ISO 1600 by about 1/2 stop. That's not bad but compared to the D500 it's about 1.33EV behind from the dpreview studio scene

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.