FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Play Misty for me

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Play Misty for me

On Veteran's Day, headed over to Big Sur coast. With the forecast for partly cloudy,
I was hoping for puffy clouds a a back drop to Bixby bridge. Once I got out to Hwy 1, I realized the typical Monterrey weather had arrived.
I now wanted to capture Bixby bridge in fog.
I waited over an hour for the south end of the bridge to reveal itself
I did want a bit more of the bridge to show, but the fog only got heavier the remainder of the day

Taken with the Toyo 45A, 90mm, f32, 1/8 sec on TMAX 100.

While the title does suite the mood, in the move "Play Misty for me", Clint Eastwood does drive over Bixby Bridge!

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5758/30944932942_ff3d0c82fc_b.jpg

C&C always

Thanks
Dan

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Play Misty for me

Very cool Dan! I will have to say this has got to be my favorite shot of any you have posted in recent memory. Great mood.

I am voting for this.

Jim

Nov 18, 2016 at 03:48 PM
bozziovai
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Play Misty for me

walk into the Mist and you'll be transported to another dimension

Nov 18, 2016 at 05:26 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Play Misty for me

JimFox wrote:
Very cool Dan! I will have to say this has got to be my favorite shot of any you have posted in recent memory. Great mood.

I am voting for this.

Jim

Thanks Jim
I'm not ready to claim it's my favorite but it was very satisfying to visualize, wait, execute then see the results.
Dan

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Play Misty for me

Since Malpaso Creek is just up the road not more than a couple miles from there, and where Clint lives or lived, Misty is very appropriate. His production company is Malpaso Productions. Nice shot, but you're back to using micro apertures again. What's up with that?

I ran into Clint in my dentist's office somewhere around '62 and as a six year old in Monterey, recognized him as Rowdy Yates from Rawhide, then got scared and ran out of the office. That dentist still hangs out with Clint on the set according to a friend who does the pyro for Clint.

Dan, you were supposed to let me know when you were going back to Big Sur. I could't have come up anyway, but hopefully some time. Did you take the Old Coast Road the rest of the way?

Nov 19, 2016 at 04:19 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Play Misty for me

Peter,
I took the Old Coast Rd in about 1 1/2 miles but it was closed to thru traffic after that.
You've busted me on two accounts! Old habits die hard. At least I didn't use f64! Also, this was an impulse trip
This is a good reminder as the long shutter speeds on seascapes are detrimental to showing water's energy.
Which will be noted in my next post

Thanks
Dan

Nov 19, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Play Misty for me

I forgot that it's closed from the fire.

Nov 19, 2016 at 07:38 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Play Misty for me

Wonderful imagine, Dan. f32 is not that small on a 4x5 lens. Some of mine go to f64 and even f90.

Nov 19, 2016 at 09:21 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Play Misty for me

Not fair, Dan. All the cool shots are on the left coast. I have a Nikkor-M 450mm f9 that shows f128 on the scale and it closes down even further. Haven't done that yet but I'm gonna try one of these days just to see what happens.

Kenny

Nov 20, 2016 at 02:54 PM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Play Misty for me

Such a beautiful photograph of this magnificent bridge Dan

Nov 20, 2016 at 05:05 PM
JohnBrew
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Play Misty for me

Ah, a bridge to nowhere.

The wait was worth it.

Nov 21, 2016 at 02:22 PM
prashant
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Play Misty for me

fantastic title and image. I may crop a little bit at the bottom.

Nov 21, 2016 at 03:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Play Misty for me

"Wonderful imagine, Dan. f32 is not that small on a 4x5 lens. Some of mine go to f64 and even f90."

Jeffrey - Sure, the lenses do stop down that far, but diffraction still starts to show it's effect at f/11-16 and the further you stop down the worse it gets. For smaller prints it won't matter much, but if you ever want to go larger - y'know - 40 x50 or bigger, you will see the degradation. Hell, I remember once many years ago, pulling the aperture ring all the way over - probably an unmarked f/128 or so. Didn't even need a loupe to see how soft it was. Complete mush.

Here's a link to some actual lines per mm testing of a bunch of different large format lenses. Most of them seem to max out at f/16 and go downhill from there. Many are pretty pathetic in the corners no matter what.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Nov 22, 2016 at 03:45 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Play Misty for me

Terrific image Dan, VOTED

Nov 22, 2016 at 08:29 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Play Misty for me

Thanks for the comments & suggestions.
I plan on catching this bridge in it's various moods.

Dan

Nov 23, 2016 at 07:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Play Misty for me

I grew up in Monterey and have been visiting that bridge since the late 1950's or early 60's and never ever get tired of it. For a long time it was the largest single arch bridge in the world, and until it was built in 1932, if you wanted to go further south, you had to take what is now known as The Old Coast Road - eleven miles of dirt road that is still impassible in wet weather, and drops you directly across from the entrance to Andrew Molera State Park - another place in Big Sur well worth the visit.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.