Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
  

Archive 2016 · 85art your experience?
  
 
level1photog
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 85art your experience?


If you can have one fast prime: 85 1.4 Art or 135 1.8 Art? Is 135 too long for wedding prep etc?


Mar 18, 2017 at 04:31 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 85art your experience?


level1photog wrote:
If you can have one fast prime: 85 1.4 Art or 135 1.8 Art? Is 135 too long for wedding prep etc?


Totally different lenses really, but go for the 85mm - it is more versatile.



Mar 18, 2017 at 05:10 PM
ahaug
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 85art your experience?


Mark_L wrote:
This seems to be the prevailing nation for some on the ART series but people seem to forget that it is largely because these lenses don't lose much contrast at wide apertures like others. Tweak the contrast down slightly in the raw converter and it will probably look very similar.


I wonder if its the contrast or the sharpness. I think that its the sharpness. I have a hard time getting my 85 1.8g's bokeh to smooth out and look natural in lightroom. I think that the bokeh on the previous sigma 85 was nicer.


Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 03:05 PM · View previous versions



Mar 20, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 85art your experience?


ahaug wrote:
I wonder if its the contrast or the sharpness. I think that its the sharpness. I have a hard time getting my 85 1.8g's bokeh to smooth out and look natural in lightroom. I think that the bokeh on the previous sigma 85 was nicer.


Assuming you use LR, have your tried using negative clarity?



Mar 20, 2017 at 01:44 PM
ahaug
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 85art your experience?


Mark_L wrote:
Assuming you use LR, have your tried using negative clarity?


I would try that but I don't have the lens to get images.




Mar 21, 2017 at 12:43 AM
michi098
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 85art your experience?


bipock wrote:
Funny you mention this as I am noticing there's times when mine should and doesn't. It doesn't hit anything. Still trying to narrow it down.


I know this thread is older now. But I recently purchased a 5DIV and I have to say that the 85 1.8 somewhat came alive. The 5DIV seems to be able to focus the 85 much, much better than my other cameras. Most shots are now in focus which also really helps keeping the other issues in check. Still looking forward to what Canon will come up with. Otherwise I'll just get the Sigma Art.



May 19, 2017 at 01:18 PM
LeeSimms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 85art your experience?


Except 30mp shows how dreadfully old that lens is. Sure it's cute and I have great memories (and images) taken with mine but it's not for this decade (it's a fringe king).

Bring on the 85L 1.4 IS



May 19, 2017 at 03:37 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


bipock
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 85art your experience?


michi098 wrote:
I know this thread is older now. But I recently purchased a 5DIV and I have to say that the 85 1.8 somewhat came alive. The 5DIV seems to be able to focus the 85 much, much better than my other cameras. Most shots are now in focus which also really helps keeping the other issues in check. Still looking forward to what Canon will come up with. Otherwise I'll just get the Sigma Art.


I'm waiting too. I did some AFMA on it and it's better but not where I think it should be.



May 19, 2017 at 03:42 PM
michi098
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 85art your experience?


bipock wrote:
I'm waiting too. I did some AFMA on it and it's better but not where I think it should be.


I have been scratching my head with the EF85mm 1.8 and AFMA also. It seems at every distance it needs a different AFMA. I just leave it neutral now and try to refocus every shot a few times. One of them usually hits it. On the 5DIV it hits more often that not.



May 19, 2017 at 06:53 PM
jeremy_clay
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 85art your experience?



Do no Canon bodies have IBIS yet?

LeeSimms wrote:
Except 30mp shows how dreadfully old that lens is. Sure it's cute and I have great memories (and images) taken with mine but it's not for this decade (it's a fringe king).

Bring on the 85L 1.4 IS




May 19, 2017 at 07:11 PM
dhp_sf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 85art your experience?


jeremy_clay wrote:
Do no Canon bodies have IBIS yet?



I think the only DSLRs that have IBIS is Pentax (maybe Sony?)



May 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM
dorota.long
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 85art your experience?


Can't go wrong with Sigma ARt series!



May 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Holger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 85art your experience?


ahaug wrote:
Can anyone post some comparisons between the 85 art and 1.4g with bokeh? I can live with the weight but is the bokeh too strong / sharp?


Here is one, in German:
http://lichtrebell.com/sigma-85mm-art-review-vs-nikon-af-s-85mm-1-4-g-test/

Compared to the Canon:
https://www.slrlounge.com/sigma-85mm-f1-4-art-review-the-beauty-of-this-beast/

I really like the lens, sharpness, as well as bokeh. I can't understand the complaints in that regard (I used to own the 85/1.4G but the Sigma is clearly better for _me_).



May 21, 2017 at 09:23 PM
ahaug
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 85art your experience?


Thanks for the German review. That was a great comparison of the Sigma art and the nikon 1.4g. The sigma is sharper and contrastier but the nikon has better bokeh for sure.


May 22, 2017 at 12:29 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       end






FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password