FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Gear for Africa Trip

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Gear for Africa Trip

True, 5ds(r) or 7d2 don't have a reach diff. (that's why i was looking to aquire either one of them) I was comparing the 6d / 1dxII with the 7dII / 5dsr where because of pixel density there is a difference in reach. I should not have used FF vs Crop reach benefit since 50mp FF sensors changed that.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:05 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Gear for Africa Trip

Can anyone recommend me good camera stores between joburg and KP that are opened with christmas? I just noticed that outdoorphoto is closed during christmas :'(

Dec 08, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Gear for Africa Trip

If I were taking a full frame camera, I'd have 2 bodies. One with the 28-300 and the other with a 500 or 600mm. I had an elephant walk into us at a pretty good clip. Started with a long lens and ended up needing a short one. With this setup you cover a lot. The 28-300 is not the sharpest tool in the box but the flexibility is great. Used same in Antartica. There a 500 on tripod and 28-300 around my neck. Ready for anything without changing lenses. A big plus where situations change quickly or you are dealing with dust etc like in Africa. Another to consider is the 200-400 which was not available when I made these trips. I used it for a trip to BC to photograph the Spirit Bear and it worked quite well. I'll leave the body question to others.

Dec 08, 2016 at 07:06 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Gear for Africa Trip

My first trip to Bots and SA was 2011. Been dying to get back to safari again, perhaps next yr, now that I have so much better gear for it and with more experience.

My father and I had each had 5DIIs, we used 300 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 24-70 f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 II, sigma 150-500 f5-6.3, 1.4x and 2x TC, monopods. I got some of the best photos I ever taken, even though I have far better gear today. So it really is about timing, location, lighting and subject. You will enjoy it regardless of the gear unless all you have is wide angles. As many people have said, the types of safari can impact how close you get, but different parks, season, and places will dictate more on the type of animals. Animals in the wild is not a zoo of course, so some days the drives will be less fruitful than others. I found night safari a waste of time, the jeeps with bright lights just scare them all away. Boat safari is cool, you can get good close up shots of hippos, lizards, crocs. If you do elephant-back safari, a light lens will be crucial. I used a 70-200 +/- TC back then, since I didn't own a 100-400 like I do now.

We didn't have two bodies each back then, so I found myself switching lenses like mad on the jeep from 300 +2x to a 70-200. I still have scratches on the 70-200 to remind me of that. A zoom is a must, and sometimes animals get right to your jeep that you must have shorter focal length lens around. Dust wasn't a huge issue for us, but it's not ideal to change lens on a jeep anyway.
With the increase in MP these days, if you do get 5DSR, make sure you get big enough memory cards, and external hard drives to backup each night. Most places have outlet adaptors, but pack some anyway. Botswana plugs are different than the British ones, do some research before you go.

Dec 09, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Gear for Africa Trip

Are these trips through a photography company or are you'll going on your own? If part through a company, can you post a link to the company's website?

Thanks

Dec 09, 2016 at 04:11 PM
Roger Whitehead
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Gear for Africa Trip

When I went back in 2008 we rented a 500mm IS. I had in my bag a 70-200mm IS, 300mm IS, and 400mm non IS. Long is the king. I would have loved to have had a 600mm IS. My remembrance of where the guides parked is that they stayed out a respectable distance from the animals. Although there were times when the animals did what they were doing and even got up close and personal. We were with Andy Biggs and the game drive arrangement was 3 photographers per vehicle. That gave you free range to move from side to side in the Range Rover. We used bean bags for steady rests. The bean bags worked very well and transferred side to side effortlessly. I had three bodies with me. 1D, 1D2, and a D60 modified for infrared. You are correct in that it will be the trip of a lifetime. I would go back in a heartbeat if I were to win the lotto.

ROG

Dec 16, 2016 at 06:47 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Gear for Africa Trip

I am heading to Elephant Plains in Sabi Sand with Tusk Photo which is the tour arm of Outdoor Photo, one of South Africa's biggest camera companies:
http://www.tuskphoto.com/safaris/elephant-plains-game-lodge/

Mark

Dec 16, 2016 at 07:19 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Gear for Africa Trip

Methodical wrote:
Are these trips through a photography company or are you'll going on your own? If part through a company, can you post a link to the company's website?

Thanks

My last trip was with a local tour company.

I'm thinking of going on this photography oriented tour next yr in Tanzania.

http://www.wildlifephoto.com/travel/?utm_source=bl&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=safaris&utm_campaign=mainmenu

Can people post some recommended tours that they used, especially for Serengeti?

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:48 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Gear for Africa Trip

I thank all you enablers out there!

To bring you up to date (since, when I search topics, I always appreciate such things) on my thinking:

I have purchased a used 5DS R, to go with my 5D3. We spent three days in Yellowstone last week, and I do love the new camera (and I think it complements the 5D3 very well). I will also have my trusty Sony RX100 II as a camera for when/if there's a beastie too close to us for one of the DSLRs with long lenses.

I bought a used 100-400 II; generally, it will live on one body, and the 500 (with or without the 1.4x III) will live on the other body.

My principal cogitations now are around how many batteries and how many CF cards to bring, and whether or not even to bring the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

We're getting excited!

Mark

Mar 10, 2017 at 08:53 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Gear for Africa Trip

Sharona wrote:
I agree with some of what has been said above. If this is really going to be your only trip to Africa (it gets into your blood, so be aware of this!) Then I would strongly think about renting a 1DX to pair with your 5D3. Or, pick up a used 1D4 for cheap on this forum, but for a once-in a lifetime trip, the 1DX is a proven camera for wildlife - frames per second, and IQ. As for lenses, 95% of your shooting will be with something like the 100-400, and possibly you might use the 500 (I've
...Show more

I am heading to Botswana in June and we will be on 3 different bush planes. Our total allowable luggage on those small planes is 44 lb, so I will be cutting down significantly on the gear I take. From what I understand, the way to be able to take more weight is to purchase an extra seat, which I don't want to do. So I'll be taking a 5DIII, 5DIV, 100-400 verII, 24-105, and a 1.4 extender. All of this is over the the 11 lb carry-on recommendation, so part of that will have to go into my very small clothes suitcase. Limit for suitcase is extreme --- only 24" x 10" x 10" allowed on the bush planes.

For my trip to Kenya and the Serengeti a couple of years ago - no limits and was able to take the 1Dx and the 500, plus another body and couple of lenses. Big difference for Botswana.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:39 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Gear for Africa Trip

JJBub wrote:
I am heading to Botswana in June and we will be on 3 different bush planes. Our total allowable luggage on those small planes is 44 lb, so I will be cutting down significantly on the gear I take. From what I understand, the way to be able to take more weight is to purchase an extra seat, which I don't want to do. So I'll be taking a 5DIII, 5DIV, 100-400 verII, 24-105, and a 1.4 extender. All of this is over the the 11 lb carry-on recommendation, so part of that will have to go into my very
...Show more

You might consider a Global Travel Jacket. They have al ot of pockets and some really big ones. I'm about to order one. They confirmed with me I could tuck a 1DX body in each big inside pocket. I'm going to be flying Ethiopian Air and their carry on is supper strict. https://globaltravelclothing.com/mens-joey-travel-jacket-with-hidden-pockets/

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:21 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Gear for Africa Trip

JaimitoFrog wrote:
My last trip was with a local tour company.

I'm thinking of going on this photography oriented tour next yr in Tanzania.

http://www.wildlifephoto.com/travel/?utm_source=bl&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=safaris&utm_campaign=mainmenu

Can people post some recommended tours that they used, especially for Serengeti?

I recently took part in the 4-day "Elephant Plains" Sabi Sand tour with Tusk Photo. Tusk is affiliated with Outdoor Photography which is one of South Africa's largest camera companies - think similar to B&H.

I was very impressed - I have been to the property before but the Tusk guides were fantastic! I was so pleased that I am looking at booking a Maasai Mara tour with them for 2018.

Tusk's website:
http://www.tuskphoto.com/

My specific tour I did:
http://www.tuskphoto.com/safaris/sabi-sand-photo-safari/

Hope that helps,
Mark

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:45 PM
ewmjr
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Gear for Africa Trip

Sorry of being late to the show, I just found this topic. I went to Tanzania for a week back in 2012 - did several parks ending with 3 days in the Serengeti. At the time all I had was a 7D with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS and an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. The 70-300 pretty much lived on the 7D while driving about and had great reach since the driver was usually able to get close enough, and the 17-55 was great around camp. As for cards & batteries, I used two cards and I also had a HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA (256gb) that I used to backup every night - much smaller than a laptop. I also discovered that the 'truck' had electrical outlets in the back seats so you could charge stuff as you drove about - I think they were cigarette outlets but I can't remember for sure.

Enjoy the trip, and remember to look around without the camera

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:19 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Gear for Africa Trip

I went for an 8 or so day trip to Okawango last year. The gear that I actually used by far the most was my 5DSR with a (borrowed) 200-400, and the 1DX with the 24-70. A friend took the 5DSR with a 100-400 with great success as well. I also shot a lot with an A7R2 mostly with a 70-200, but overall that's not a camera that I'd recommend for this purpose. In hindsight I would have been better served with another 5DSR.

For shots form a helicopter I used two 5DSRs, one with a 100-400 and one with a 70-200, and the 1DX with the 16-35. All in all I think that for this, the 70-200 and 16-35 were most successful.

The listed Nikons are photos from friends that I ingested.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM
butlerkid
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Gear for Africa Trip

I used a Pelican 1610 case and put my 500/f4, a couple of other lenses, gimbal, etc in it and sent it as checked luggage.

No problems going or coming home. Also no problems with in-country flights.

evertdoorn wrote:
Can I add a question for those with big heavy lenses and experience with flying on small aircraft which usually have a very tight hand luggage limit (sometimes not more than 5 or 8kg); how do you handle that?

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Sanlameer
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Gear for Africa Trip

therealthings wrote:
Can anyone recommend me good camera stores between joburg and KP that are opened with christmas? I just noticed that outdoorphoto is closed during christmas :'(

Try Orms in Capetown. Orms.co.za
Ben

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Sanlameer
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Gear for Africa Trip

therealthings wrote:

Try Orms in Capetown. Orms.co.za
Ben

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.