Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

The one thing that drives me nuts is gelling my B1's. I recently got the profoto gel kit and it works fine.....unless you want to add a modifier. So it's back to the drawing board.

I've Is cutting and taping gels the only solution? Taping gels on get's tough because you have to slide the modifiers over it. Putting the modifier on and then taping the gel works, but I hate ripping into my softboxs to do so.

Nov 17, 2016 at 05:19 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

I do this, and it works just fine (unless you would want to use B1 with the optional glass dome):
http://fstoppers.com/diy/no-tape-no-bands-no-velcro-diy-custom-fitting-gels-your-profoto-b1d1-monolights-24922

Nov 17, 2016 at 05:40 PM
zurkzees
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

It can be stacked with a modifier

http://www.stefantell.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Profoto-Color-Gel-Grid-Holder-OCF-on-a-Profoto-B1-with-speedring.jpg

Nov 17, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

cambyses wrote:
I do this, and it works just fine (unless you would want to use B1 with the optional glass dome):
http://fstoppers.com/diy/no-tape-no-bands-no-velcro-diy-custom-fitting-gels-your-profoto-b1d1-monolights-24922

I've tried that, but it's a little fiddly to get on and to stay on in my opinion.

Nov 17, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

zurkzees wrote:
It can be stacked with a modifier

http://www.stefantell.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Profoto-Color-Gel-Grid-Holder-OCF-on-a-Profoto-B1-with-speedring.jpg

Hmm, that's interesting.... I guess that is the new RFI speedring? My speed rings are bigger, but I just tested it out and they will fit if I push the speedring all the way back. Still sucks you have to put the gel on after the modifier, but still a better solution than I had before.

Nov 17, 2016 at 08:06 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

I use gels (usually NDs) on outside of modifier held with bulldog clips. Carry larger gels, but saves a lot of fiddling, etc., as you've experienced.

Nov 17, 2016 at 09:24 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Hmm, that's interesting.... I guess that is the new RFI speedring? My speed rings are bigger, but I just tested it out and they will fit if I push the speedring all the way back. Still sucks you have to put the gel on after the modifier, but still a better solution than I had before.

No, it's the OCF one and it only works with Profoto's OCF soft boxes.

Nov 18, 2016 at 08:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bgateb760
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

i use their OCF gel holders.

modifier on first, then the gel/grid holder with gel. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's fine. if bare-bulbing it, just taping the filter on has worked fine for me.

used the OCF gels and B1's and B2's for this set.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:58 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

Nathan Padgett wrote:

That's how I've done mine.

that's the OCF speedring, for use with their OCF modifiers. I have not tried it with a regular RFi speedring yet, but I guess I should try. Will report back

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:00 AM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

bgateb760 wrote:
That's how I've done mine.

that's the OCF speedring, for use with their OCF modifiers. I have not tried it with a regular RFi speedring yet, but I guess I should try. Will report back

Any update on this? Can the the gel holder be stacked up with the RFi speedrings, or for that matter, with the metal Profoto softlighter beauty dish?

Can you not put the gel holder first, and then push the speedring over the gel holder? I have not tried that but, at least, that is the way our local camera store guy told me I could do.

Putting the modifier first and then the gel holder would be OK for B1, but probably would not work for B2 as there won't be enough space for both the speedring and the gel holder. Moreover, I guess putting the beauty dish first and then the grid/gel holder, would further push the light forward inside the beauty dish, and thus further reduce that beauty dish light quality one expects from bare bulb lights.

I recently picked up a B2. I have ordered a gel holder and am waiting to receive it. So I am curious about this. Specifically, do I really have to buy the OCF beauty dish, or can I use my metal beauty dish together with the grid holder on B2?

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:15 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

The gel holder can't really be stacked with the RFI speedring on the B2 head.

Also, you can't put the gel holder first, and then the speedring.

I don't know about the diameter of the RFI speedring, but if it is the same as the old one, then I know for sure that Broncolor's speedring with Profoto mount (for their own line of softboxes) will fit a B2 head with the gel holder (I use Broncolor's softboxes on my Profoto B2), and it has the exact same diameter and arrangement as Profoto's older speedring. The only caveat is that for some reason, there is a recess in the middle of the B2 head's top side, that effectively reduces the mount's diameter. With my Broncolor speedring, it's loose when tightened around the B2 head if it sits in the middle of the head. If you push it all the way in (which is what you want to do anyway with the gel holder), or if you push it nearly all the way out, it will firmly stick without any problem.

No idea about the beauty dish, but it's already a disaster for plenty of reasons with Profoto's internal flash tubes, if you add the gel holder, it will only be worse.

Dec 23, 2016 at 06:52 AM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

MayaTlab wrote:
Also, you can't put the gel holder first, and then the speedring.

Are you sure about that? My local camera store guy told me otherwise. And the guy in this video seems to be doing exactly that (I don't speak Russian, so I have no idea what he is saying, but go to min 1:40 in the clip, and you will see it):

Dec 23, 2016 at 09:51 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gelling Profoto B1's with modifiers.....how do you do it?

cambyses wrote:
Are you sure about that? My local camera store guy told me otherwise. And the guy in this video seems to be doing exactly that (I don't speak Russian, so I have no idea what he is saying, but go to min 1:40 in the clip, and you will see it):

Yes. The way this guy does it is extremely insecure as the soft box is attached to the front of the gel holder, not Profoto's mount. It's a stupid idea and it will eventually fall off, as the gel holder is only secured to Profoto's mount by four tiny plastic protrusions that press against it, not a solid rubbery lock. It will be even worse with the heavier RFI system, and light distribution will be crap as the flash tube will be buried deep inside.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password