Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

Occasionally on uploading to FB, SmugMug, Flikr and and even Nat Geo (I deleted my entries because of this issue) I've noticed that the shots just don't look as processed. In fact the sites have just killed the contrast. If I have already successfully uploaded to SmugMug then inserting the link doesn't degrade the image.

They look nothing like the original - the DR has been annihilated, the blacks have disappeared totally and the whites dulled, in fact the whole image appears dull ! Anyone hazard a guess as to why this happens and is there anything I can do so that they retain image fidelity ?

Nov 17, 2016 at 07:07 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

Sounds like a problem with the assigned colourspace. Are you exporting as aRGB and then having the website assign sRGB?

Nov 17, 2016 at 02:01 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

FB does murder the images, independent of maintaining consistent colorspace. The best results I am aware of, regarding FB upload:

1) Files must be sRBG colorspace jpg
2) Fit to 2048px
3) Use minimum jpg compression when creating these 2048px sRBG images. I export from Lightroom with "95% quality"
4) Use FB's "highest quality" setting when uploading files

Once on FB, your images won't look like you had in mind, but I find the compromise tolerable usually.

John Caldwell

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:11 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

15Bit wrote:
Sounds like a problem with the assigned colourspace. Are you exporting as aRGB and then having the website assign sRGB?

Thanks. No I always export as sRGB.

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

John Caldwell wrote:
FB does murder the images, independent of maintaining consistent colorspace. The best results I am aware of, regarding FB upload:

1) Files must be sRBG colorspace jpg
2) Fit to 2048px
3) Use minimum jpg compression when creating these 2048px sRBG images. I export from Lightroom with "95% quality"
4) Use FB's "highest quality" setting when uploading files

Once on FB, your images won't look like you had in mind, but I find the compromise tolerable usually.

John Caldwell

Thanks John, excellent advice and I'll give it a try.

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:32 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

I noticed sharing from Flickr to FB is horrendous. I had an image that had great detail and looked very good on flickr but when I shared via facebook all that detail was lost. I was proud of the original but embarrassed by what got posted. Uploading directly to FB was better - I will try the Johns method next time and see if the result is more impressive.

Thanks

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:42 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo degradation when uploading to FB, SmugMug etc.

If you have a FB business page you can upload the PNG format which sometimes looks much better then the JPEG's I tried. Only limitation is that the file has to be under 1MB or else FB will convert it to JPEG.

There is a 3rd party plugin for LR that adds the PNG format to the export list. Might be something to try.

Magic Export

Nov 18, 2016 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.