Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Zach-55
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

It would be great if Sigma and Tamron would offer us some great Tilt-Shift lenses somewhere next year. Those Sigma/Tamron TS lenses are expected to provide Nikon/Canon image quality but at much more decent price. FL should be in 17-50mm range, and price $900-$1500 max, depending of a FL.

Anyone interested?

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

It would nice if Sigma produced some alternate focal lengths, like 35mm.
Cheaper lenses that are the same old FL of Canikon are of no interest to me.
I think Samyung, etc. already have some.

EBH

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:34 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Samyang/Rokinon offer only 24mm T-S lens, and its IQ and build quality are far from Nikon/Canon products.

Canon users have many high IQ T-S options at decent prices, but Nikon shooters are shafted by Nikon T-S lenses prices big time.

Thus it seems to me that Sigma and Tamron would do the right move if they decide to take T-S route and add it to their current production.

EB-1 wrote:
It would nice if Sigma produced some alternate focal lengths, like 35mm.
Cheaper lenses that are the same old FL of Canikon are of no interest to me.
I think Samyung, etc. already have some.

EBH

Nov 16, 2016 at 08:24 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

What is the best TS lens from nikon for shooting architecture ?
A friend said he won't switch to nikon BC canon's TS lenses are way better. .?

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I talked to two Tamron reps a month or so ago. They said they highly doubted Tamron would make such a lens. My hopes are on Sigma for an 18mm PC-E.

Kent in SD

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I truly hope they both have no clue. Seriously, only some very high ranking Tamron insider could have an idea of a future projects, and he/she will keep her mouth firmly shut, of course.

Two23 wrote:
I talked to two Tamron reps a month or so ago. They said they highly doubted Tamron would make such a lens. My hopes are on Sigma for an 18mm PC-E.

Kent in SD

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Tilt shift isnt a popular lens. Sportsdad and Momtogs won't buy them.

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:02 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

So, what is it that causes you to ask Tamron or Sigma to make a tilt/shift lens? Is it the price of the new 19 PCE from Nikon that is the issue?

Nov 17, 2016 at 03:52 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Tilt shift seems such a specialized lens, I doubt Tamron would make it; historically they haven't really done anything creative other than adding some nice coatings and VC to their glass. Sigma on the other hand seems like they'd do one just to prove they could, and they'd price it nicely just to stick it to Nikon haha.

Either one could probably make them, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I do wish they'd expand the lineup more to match what the OEM's offer. Sigma has the great primes, and Tamron the zooms...but they both need to expand into the other area (Tamron more primes, Sigma finally update the 24-70/70-200 to the Art series). Some more supertele primes would be awesome too since I'm currently pining for a 300mm 2.8

Nov 17, 2016 at 04:18 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Zach-55 wrote:
It would be great if Sigma and Tamron would offer us some great Tilt-Shift lenses somewhere next year. Those Sigma/Tamron TS lenses are expected to provide Nikon/Canon image quality but at much more decent price. FL should be in 17-50mm range, and price $900-$1500 max, depending of a FL.

Anyone interested?

Market with special Tilt-Shift lenses is very small to bother. There is no point to waste resources for that.

lenses like: Sigma Art 24-70, 70-200, 105/1.4, 135 /1.8 would sell much better or any of that made by Tamron.

Nov 17, 2016 at 05:10 AM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I would not buy my current Nikon 200mm f2.0 nor my 300mm f2.8 if there was Sigma or Tamron of the same quality (both optical and mechanical) at much more reasonable price. The same goes for any lens, including T-S lenses.
So, I see no reason why I would spend $3400 on Nikon PC 19mm if I could get two top quality Sigma/Tamron T-S lenses, both 19mm and 24mm (or other FL combo) for the same total amount, even probably less.

Lance B wrote:
So, what is it that causes you to ask Tamron or Sigma to make a tilt/shift lens? Is it the price of the new 19 PCE from Nikon that is the issue?

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:58 AM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I agree that market for T-S lenses is not significant. However, there is not much of a market for 20-35mm FF zoom or 18-35mm APS-C zoom neither, but Sigma decided to give it as go.
As somebody already said, Sigma could decide to produce T-S lens just because they want to show they are capable to produce top quality T-S lens at more affordable price. Sometimes it's a matter of company pride and philosophy, not only a profit logic.

New Nikon PC 19mm is $3400. Who would buy it if Sigma would offer the same quality PC 19mm lens at $2200 !?

milkod2001 wrote:
Market with special Tilt-Shift lenses is very small to bother. There is no point to waste resources for that.

lenses like: Sigma Art 24-70, 70-200, 105/1.4, 135 /1.8 would sell much better or any of that made by Tamron.

Nov 17, 2016 at 07:05 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

If you want a tilt-shift there's a Nikon 24mm PC-E for sale right now on the buy and sell. I'd guess it's immaculate as most people who buy a tilt-shift lens lose interest in it very fast. So they end up sitting, in the closet.

Not sure why everyone suddenly needs a 17 or 19mm version when they've never even tried the standard sizes. They take work to use right, and honestly, if you get older, they become more difficult to focus right.

And no, Canon is not better. People that have never owned either one, they want to tell you that, it's all about the photographer, just like any lens. Mechanically, the Canon has an edge, but it's not any deal breaker. As a matter of fact, the only Canon tilt-shift images I've seen were from Fred Miranda... Those are exceptional, but so is his photography. Is there a connection there?

Nov 17, 2016 at 09:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Generally, wider is better with architecture, interior and exterior. "The best" would be the Canon 17 TS-E. Its extra 2mm are quite significant for adding more picture content/angle. 24mm is also very useful. Often, I will take two cameras -- one fitted with the 17 TS-E and the other with the 24 TS-E -- to get different versions of the same subject, from the same spot.

I'm sure the Nikon 19 PC-E will be very nice, but don't see how it can compete with the 17 TS-E, especially at used prices down to $1500!

From my experience, the Canon versions are superior -- less distortion and better mechanical adjustments and durability.

I've got the set of four current TS-E lenses, and have also owned the original 24 TS-E, as well as the older 35 TS in FD mount. I currently only own the Nikon 45 PC-E, but have owned both the last models of 28 and 35 PC lenses.

Dj R wrote:

Nov 17, 2016 at 09:11 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Zach-55 wrote:
I agree that market for T-S lenses is not significant. However, there is not much of a market for 20-35mm FF zoom or 18-35mm APS-C zoom neither, but Sigma decided to give it as go.
As somebody already said, Sigma could decide to produce T-S lens just because they want to show they are capable to produce top quality T-S lens at more affordable price. Sometimes it's a matter of company pride and philosophy, not only a profit logic.

New Nikon PC 19mm is $3400. Who would buy it if Sigma would offer the same quality PC 19mm lens at
...Show more

It isn't that there is no market for fast wide zooms, they just created a market. The 18-35 f/1.8 and 24-35 f/2 are competing directly with fast wide primes. Much bigger market than TS lenses.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

For those complaining about the cost of TS lenses, I think lower price lenses like the Rokinon/Samyang's are the exception rather than the rule.

The Canon 17 has been around for a while now so can be found used at cheaper prices and Canon has likely made its money from them.

They would not be cheap lenses to make

The 17 has that bulbous front element, has the added tilting/shifting mechanism, and controls that need to be fairly tightly engineered. it is not exactly a simple construction either with 18 elements in 14 groups (4 UD and 1 aspherical element). I would imagine the Nikon 19 is at least similar in all ways. Give it a couple of years and you might find one for under $2000.

Has anyone priced a Schneider PC lens in Nikon mount lately?

For those that need the Nikon 19,I would think it will be worth it, for others, it is just as outrageously priced as any expensive exotic. It is just that there are usually cheaper options for (say) a 600mm lens, TS, not so much

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

Dj R wrote:

Just a guess but I would say probably the new 19 or one of these

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I don't think there is a big enough market for them to consider it. I can't imagine canon/nikon have made all that much money from these lenses (well, nikon might with their latest pricing....!) due to their niche speciality but they have the pressure to produce them to offer a complete pro system and so do so anyway.

A lot of people who need movements regularly will go the pseudo tech-cam route anyway.

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:30 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SIGMA & TAMRON ... give us some Tilt-Shift lens!

I for one would like to see some good affordable third party TS lenses.

Quite a few times I thought of picking up a Sony camera and and the Canon 17mm TS. Now Nikon at least finally has a wide angle TS lens. If 19mm was around 2,500 I would of probably bought it already, at 3,400 it's going to have to review on Otus levels for me to consider getting it.

I feel one of the main reasons TS lens are not more popular are due to the price. If the lenses where more affordable, more people would be using them, and more people would end up learning about the benefits of a TS lens. Also there are common focal lengths like 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, with no modern TS lenses available from Canon or Nikon.

If Sigma put out a set of TS lens, with the price of around 1,500 each I think they would be quite popular.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.