Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2016 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed
  
 
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


I am planning to spend three nights four days to do photographing Valley of Fire in January, 2017.

This time I am very much interested in night photography there.
However as you all know Vally of Fire has a strict rule that after hours' staying in the park is not allowed.

Perhaps some of you have some information as to the possibilities of staying there without getting the official permit which will require extra $100 plus insurance etc.. I would appreciate it very much if you could give me guidance on this.

I have not asked the park if staying at the campsite would allow staying in the park, obviously outside the camping boundary to have some night photography.

Thanks in advance!

Kee



Nov 16, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Keith B.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


You can stay in the park, but only in the "area" of the campgrounds.
$100 is cheaper than Disneyland. Have you contacted an actual human with the park to explore all possible permitting options and costs?



Nov 17, 2016 at 03:43 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


Keith B. wrote:
You can stay in the park, but only in the "area" of the campgrounds.
$100 is cheaper than Disneyland. Have you contacted an actual human with the park to explore all possible permitting options and costs?


Thanks Keith for your comment. I received the necessary papers to submit after i spoke with the park personnel.
looks like that there is no other way but to submit all the papers with insurance info and the permit fee.




Nov 17, 2016 at 05:01 AM
JimKied
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


Kee - I contacted the Park Superintendent, giving the specific date I was going to be there, the place in the park I wanted to be, and asked if I could stay until a half hour after sunset. The Park Superintendent gave me a permit to stay past sunset. From what I understand, they only do this for single individuals or maybe two people. No large groups. I know that doesn't cover your desire to do astrophotography, but maybe they will let you.


Dec 08, 2016 at 09:10 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


JimKied wrote:
Kee - I contacted the Park Superintendent, giving the specific date I was going to be there, the place in the park I wanted to be, and asked if I could stay until a half hour after sunset. The Park Superintendent gave me a permit to stay past sunset. From what I understand, they only do this for single individuals or maybe two people. No large groups. I know that doesn't cover your desire to do astrophotography, but maybe they will let you.


Hello Jim,
This is a great news to me. I have a trip to V of F for January 25 and I plan to stay there for three days.
Thanks for the information.

Kee




Dec 13, 2016 at 05:09 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


Assuming that you will rent a reasonably robust SUV and are willing to violate your rental contract, you could also head out to Little Finland - a far more interesting location that is relatively lightly visited. It is on BLM land so you can camp there to your heart's content with noone to harass you. There is also the Bowl of Fire in the Lake Mead area, not nearly as interesting as Little Finland but far more secluded than VoF.


Jan 02, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


GroovyGeek wrote:
Assuming that you will rent a reasonably robust SUV and are willing to violate your rental contract, you could also head out to Little Finland - a far more interesting location that is relatively lightly visited. It is on BLM land so you can camp there to your heart's content with noone to harass you. There is also the Bowl of Fire in the Lake Mead area, not nearly as interesting as Little Finland but far more secluded than VoF.


Hello Boyan,
What a find. I saw some images of Little Finland here at FM a few years ago and I was very impressed. And I forgot all about it. I will definitely venture into the area. Other place, Bowl of Fire.. I will check it also. Thank you!



Jan 02, 2017 at 02:11 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


It is a pretty straightforward drive, I just came back from there (no good photos though, light was bland) and the roads were in good condition. It had rained recently so there were pockets of water on the rocks. The sun will set and rise behind pretty substantial hills so no point in planning shots in these directions. Both ends of the bench that little Finland sits on are illuminated pretty well though, North far better than South. And light pollution when facing North is well controlled, so you get a good shot at MW shots during new moon and star trails too.

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Boyan,
What a find. I saw some images of Little Finland here at FM a few years ago and I was very impressed. And I forgot all about it. I will definitely venture into the area. Other place, Bowl of Fire.. I will check it also. Thank you!




Jan 03, 2017 at 12:29 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed


GroovyGeek wrote:
It is a pretty straightforward drive, I just came back from there (no good photos though, light was bland) and the roads were in good condition. It had rained recently so there were pockets of water on the rocks. The sun will set and rise behind pretty substantial hills so no point in planning shots in these directions. Both ends of the bench that little Finland sits on are illuminated pretty well though, North far better than South. And light pollution when facing North is well controlled, so you get a good shot at MW shots during new moon and
...Show more

Hello Boyan,

Your report on the Little Finland is so encouraging that I plan to the area for a day or so on the way back from Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol, Bryce, Zion. Photos of the Little Finland are exciting. Thinking of staying at Mesquite. May take 2 hours driving to L.F.?

Kee



Edited on Jan 06, 2017 at 08:01 PM · View previous versions



Jan 05, 2017 at 01:24 AM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Valley of Fire - After hour photographing advice needed




Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Boyan,

Your report on the Little Finland is so encouraging that I plan to the area for a day or so on the way back from Archies, Canyonlands, Capitol, Bryce, Zion. Photos of the Little Finland are exciting. Thinking of staying at Mesquite. May take 2 hours driving to L.F.?

Kee



Once you hit exit 112 off I-15 it is 75-90 minutes depending on how you drive. I try to avoid driving on dirt roads at night whenever feasible and either camp or sleep in the Jeep. Little Finland can be photographed at either sunrise, sunset or at night. If you have a choice time your visit to be around new moon. Arrive late morning, scout the area till very early afternoon, do some shooting till around 2pm when the shadows start to get ugly, then scout more for night shots. Once the sun dips behind the hills to the West around 4pm you can do some sunset shooting, at least for me things tend to work better facing North, but I have never been there with interesting cloud cover.

In the winter the Milky Way comes up in the North sky around 7pm but is rather slanted till around 9:30. In December it comes up at around 315 degrees, probably not too different in January. After you shoot the MW find some north facing rock, point the camera at Polaris, lock the trigger and go to sleep. The Southern sky is useless with all the light pollution from Vegas but it is surprisingly dark to the North. This is a a pretty active flight corridor so you are going to have to clone out quite a few plane trails but that is easy. In the morning the sun comes up behind a pretty big hill do once again the light show tends to be to the North. Have fun.



Jan 05, 2017 at 07:10 AM







FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password