Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Currently using a 24" Dell UltraSharp hooked up to a 13" rMBP (2015). Pretty happy with the monitor, but it's pushing 5 years and I think I'd like something bigger. Too much zooming in Lightroom, and the panels take up a lot of screen real estate.

Anyone purchase a monitor recently? Right now I'm looking at a Dell U2717D. I toyed with one of those LG (Apple) 5k displays, but don't have a TB3 port that will drive it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 02:31 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

dell U2713H is nice.....

Additional note: you have to pick up the xrite calibration monkey.
X-rite provided the calibration software with the monitor.
like the warranty .... even if 1 pixel goes.... automatic replacement.

Looks like the monitors with the premier color you will need the xrite hardware.

ASUS, NEC and HP all have nice monitors in the 27"+ category.

just remember.... I would say 27" and over ... need a solid video card. Lots of real-estate to refresh in a timely manor.

-Mark

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:18 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Most likely going to do a custom build over the winter, so not too worried about hardware.

Love my MBP, but it's only usable for SmartPreviews (which I'm okay with).

Nov 16, 2016 at 03:34 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I'm curious too. I've been working off a Apple Thunderbolt 27" monitor and have been thinking of upgrading to an ultra-wide. I have a 2013 macbook pro 15".

Nov 16, 2016 at 05:18 PM
dakel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I bought a BenQ 27-inch IPS Quad High Definition LED Monitor (SW2700PT) about 3 months ago. I'm very happy with it. I read through the Amazon reviews before buying.

Nov 16, 2016 at 06:04 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I have two of these and would definitely buy again. Comes with calibration puck and software. These are the 27" model: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa272w-bk-sv

The 30" model: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa302w-bk-sv

These are top notch for color critical work.

Nov 16, 2016 at 06:51 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

This is a decent deal for a 4k IPS panel.

While the 1600x vert displays are very affordable, the 4k and 5k displays are worth the upgrade, IMO, for a photographer. Make sure your device can output a 4k signal at 60hz.

Avoid TN panels.

Use a PPI calcuator on the size and resolution. The higher, the better. When you approach the 250 to 300 range, you are essentially editing at print resolution.

I would calibrate it, regardless of what others say. Dell, LG and Samsung all make great displays, but they all make high-end and low-end stuff. I have my eye on an ultrawide LG 4k, but its just a bit too expensive at the moment.

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:38 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I think I'm set on 27". And I think I'm set on 4k resolution.

Also picking up a Spyder5 Pro

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:57 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I'm also a fan of the Dell UltraSharp series. I use a U2515H and have been very happy with it. For my money, 25" seems like a sweet spot for price and performance. The 2717 should be a good upgrade in screen space and a natural update to what you've got.

The resolution of the u2717d is 2560x1440 (same as my 25"). My mid-2014 MBPr 13" has a resolution of 2560x1600, so your MBPr should have no issues even with this monitor. That said, you're not going to make much of a gain in screen space, just size.

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:59 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Ziffl3 wrote:
dell U2713H is nice.....

I know this isn't a buy/sell forum, but I'm about to put 2 of these (actually the Dell P2715Q) for sale in case people are interested.

Nov 17, 2016 at 02:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I recently picked up a NEC MultiSync PA272W. Came with the SpectraView software and calibration device. Very happy with it so far.

Nov 17, 2016 at 03:28 AM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I know this isn't a buy/sell forum, but I'm about to put 2 of these (actually the Dell P2715Q) for sale in case people are interested.

Upgrading to the 5k?

Nov 17, 2016 at 03:48 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Eizo CG monitors every time - any of the models in that range.

Best stability, uniformity, best blacks and great internal calibration.

Great customer service.

Eizo every time. (My 2nd monitor is an 8 yr old Eizo CG211 and still performing flawlessly).

Nov 17, 2016 at 04:16 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

leethecam wrote:
Eizo CG monitors every time - any of the models in that range.

Best stability, uniformity, best blacks and great internal calibration.

Great customer service.

Eizo every time. (My 2nd monitor is an 8 yr old Eizo CG211 and still performing flawlessly).

Those are very good but very very pricey. The NEC that I linked to above are nearly equal but considerably less expensive.

Edited on Nov 17, 2016 at 02:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:59 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Pick a size you think you will like and then choose a monitor with an IPS panel.

Dell, NEC, BenQ and now Asus and Acer make large IPS monitors.

If you have the budget, you will not go wrong with Eizo. They truly make the best monitors, but it is a poor return for your budget.

27"-34" range is ideal imho. I have three Dell U3014 but could have done with three 27" screens instead.

Get a ColorMunki for calibration and you will be golden regardless of the monitor brand, so long it is an IPS panel.

Nov 17, 2016 at 02:07 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

MRomine wrote:
Those are very good but very very pricey. The NEC that I linked to above are nearly equal but considerably less expensive.

I believe the Eizo CS and CX series have the important attributes (for photographers) of the CG series but at lower prices. Definitely worth a look.

Also note that some of Dell's only work with X-rite products, not Spyder brand. If you go with NEC, I would get the Spectraview software/puck which adjusts the monitor's LUT, not the LUT on the video card.

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:34 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

I just do not see the Eizo as a good choice for photographers or video shooters doing non commercial work.

There are NEC/HP model that will get you 90-95% the way there if you are in that area. And even then we are splitting hairs.

-Mark

Nov 17, 2016 at 07:39 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Ziffl3 wrote:
I just do not see the Eizo as a good choice for photographers or video shooters doing non commercial work.

There are NEC/HP model that will get you 90-95% the way there if you are in that area. And even then we are splitting hairs.

-Mark

I'm not pushing any particular brand, but the Eizo 27 inch Adobe RGB monitor CS 270 sells for $1100 at Adorama and includes color calibration software. The NEC PA272 sells for $1000 without software.

Nov 17, 2016 at 08:21 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

Tony Hoffer wrote:

What are you getting Tony?

Nov 18, 2016 at 02:55 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for Monitor Recommendations

mineymole wrote:
What are you getting Tony?

Going back to one monitor and dropping the 4K. I didn't use it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 03:00 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password