New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Dustobub
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

I've been a longtime member of FM, and now I'm actually building something that folks here may find interesting. Please let me know if this goes too far into self-promotion. Apologies in advance.

PanoMoments are a totally different way to create engaging 360 VR experiences. I'd love to hear any feedback you have on either the concept or the Kickstarter. Below are few examples of the kind of content you can capture. It's actually much easier than you would expect to create them.

https://www.panomoments.com/m/baby
https://www.panomoments.com/m/grand-central
https://www.panomoments.com/m/intersection
https://www.panomoments.com/m/billboard-one

What do you think? Would you be interested in capturing them? Any and all feedback would really be appreciated. And if you like the concept, please consider spreading the word.

Thanks,
Dustin

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

It doesn't work on the most popular desktop computer OS, at least not by default. There is a message that I have to use a different OS or a smartphone.
Presumably people like me are not in your demographic, but I hope it works out for you.

EBH

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:19 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Very cool stuff. I wish you good luck! The price of entry is a bit high with the hardware required.

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:34 AM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

EB-1 wrote:
It doesn't work on the most popular desktop computer OS, at least not by default. There is a message that I have to use a different OS or a smartphone.
Presumably people like me are not in your demographic, but I hope it works out for you.

EBH

Yeah, we locked down Win 7 because the h264 GPU driver support in Chrome isn't all that reliable. Eventually we may decide to open that back up, but we just wanted to ensure that the Kickstarter preview provided a working experience. We figured it was better to push people towards another device/browser vs. giving them a potentially poor viewing experience. Thanks for the feedback though. We know it's not ideal. When you've got time, give it a try on your smartphone on wifi.

-Dustin

Nov 17, 2016 at 08:44 AM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

ontime wrote:
Very cool stuff. I wish you good luck! The price of entry is a bit high with the hardware required.

Thanks! Yeah, it can add up a bit. The rig I typically shoot with is probably around $1,500 total. PanoMoments themselves are entirely hardware agnostic, and hopefully in the near future the cost of a rig (or a custom camera) will be much less expensive.

Nov 17, 2016 at 08:46 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Couldn't access it on my computer because of the browser restriction. Took several minutes to load on my wifi-connected smartphone. When it loaded, could not move the picture around -- it was just stuck on a view of the bottom of some stairs and a tripod leg.

So no, nothing in that experience would give me reason to be interested. It also isn't clear what advantages this approach would have over a conventional 360 degree panorama. If shooting requires a fisheye and motorized rotation rig, then I don't see any advantage to the no parallax concept. I would need all of the equipment (and more, actually!) I would use anyway to avoid parallax, and adjusting the lens to rotate around the no parallax point would be a trivial additional action. Similarly, I'm not sure what advantage results from not stitching the component images up front, but rather doing it on the fly.

Perhaps additional explanation of the concept and expected benefits in this post would be helpful, since the demonstration examples don't seem to be working universally.

Dave

Nov 18, 2016 at 09:55 AM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Sorry you weren't able to get it working. May I ask what kind of phone do you have? It seems like the gyro/accelerometer isn't working. Does this demo work for you - https://threejs.org/examples/misc_controls_deviceorientation.html

We'll be opening up other browsers soon. We just wanted to focus the preview on a limited number of devices before addressing all of the various browser idiosyncrasies. It is a big limitation/annoyance, I know.

The advantage compared to a regular stitched NPP 360 is that you're able to capture motion as well as showing a more natural panning experience that feels like you're actually rotating your head. All current stitched 360 content feels very "stuck" since it's all captured from a singular infinitely small point in space. PanoMoments allow you to break that restriction by embracing time as a part of the creative process. They're not trying to be a replacement for existing 360 photos/videos; they're just an new alternative approach that allows you to be a little bit more creative while also providing more immersion through motion parallax - the ability to sense depth.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Dustin

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:42 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Thanks, Dustin. The example you linked also didn't work on my phone. It's an Android phone (Samsung S6), but the accelerometer is working for things like desktop orientation/direction/rotation effects and it works for phone motion-sensitive panoramas and the like that appear in Facebook. So I don't think that's it. I will say that, just like every darn Samsung phone I've had, the compass works only intermittently.

Anyway, your explanation is helpful and I have a better idea of what would make this approach unique; that probably would have been self-evident had I been able to get the demos working. I think this is an engaging effect and I'm sure it would excite a lot of people. I'm an old school panoramacist and I'm happy to produce static panoramas for screen or print display. I mainly use panos as a compositional tool and do very few 360 degree, immersive ones. So I'm probably not your target audience, but this does seem like an engaging idea and I wish you luck.

Dave

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

dsjtecserv wrote:
Thanks, Dustin. The example you linked also didn't work on my phone. It's an Android phone (Samsung S6), but the accelerometer is working for things like desktop orientation/direction/rotation effects and it works for phone motion-sensitive panoramas and the like that appear in Facebook. So I don't think that's it. I will say that, just like every darn Samsung phone I've had, the compass works only intermittently.

Anyway, your explanation is helpful and I have a better idea of what would make this approach unique; that probably would have been self-evident had I been able to get the demos working. I
...Show more

Interesting that the test link didn't work either. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Glad my explanation helped. Try to give it a shot once you have access to Google Chrome. It'd be great to hear your impressions.

Thanks,
Dustin

Nov 18, 2016 at 01:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

Dustobub wrote:
The advantage compared to a regular stitched NPP 360 is that you're able to capture motion as well as showing a more natural panning experience that feels like you're actually rotating your head. All current stitched 360 content feels very "stuck" since it's all captured from a singular infinitely small point in space. PanoMoments allow you to break that restriction by embracing time as a part of the creative process. They're not trying to be a replacement for existing 360 photos/videos; they're just an new alternative approach that allows you to be a little bit more creative while also providing
...Show more

That all sounds like marketing. What is the technical explanation? Are multiple pans from differing positions required, images viewed with differing reconstructed projections, one of those superwide 360° mirror things, or something else?

EBH

Nov 20, 2016 at 02:04 AM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

EB-1 wrote:
That all sounds like marketing. What is the technical explanation? Are multiple pans from differing positions required, images viewed with differing reconstructed projections, one of those superwide 360° mirror things, or something else?

EBH

The underlying concept is quite simple. It's a single rotation, and then all of the frames are aligned in realtime while you view it. Eg. if you rotate around 360 degrees and take 180 photos equally spaced, there will be a frame every 2 degrees. The fact that it is so simple is a main part of why I find it appealing. It doesn't take a lot of work to create one assuming you have a robotic panorama head. You simply capture the frames, convert to equirectangular, and upload them to the viewer. It's more about the effect that it creates. Since you're not stitching, you have N frames of unique perspective which allow you to capture parallax that emulates human head rotation (around 80-100mm in front of NPP). Here is a GIF of the rotational capture method - https://files.panomoments.com/media/RotatingSquare.gif

Check out the Kickstarter. It has a lot more info on how things work, and everything that is needed to capture one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Dustin

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Dustobub
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

dsjtecserv wrote:

Hey Dave,

We just made a couple tweaks to the library responsible for gyro/accelerometer control. Give it a try now and see if the behavior is any different.

Thanks,
Dustin

Nov 20, 2016 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.