Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · How important is high fps?

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How important is high fps?

Capturing peak action is not equal for all sports. Swimming and equine events have the subjects moving in predictable paths. Hardly the same as tennis, soccer, basketball, etc.

Shooting in video, you will catch the peak action every time. The more fps, the more chance of capturing peak action, regardless of the competence of the photographer. Fact.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Tareq
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How important is high fps?

I was using 30D, then upgraded to 1D MarkIIn then to mkIII and last to 1DX, i can't think about less than 10fps honestly, even my 1D3 isn't in use at all compared to 1DX, and almost all PJs i shoot next side in football games are using 1DX, and they are waiting to upgrade to 1DXII sooner or later, and all of them told me they won't look back to 10fps, and i know they are in that job for long time and were using 3-5fps cameras in the past when there is no Canon 1 series fast cameras.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How important is high fps?

I've sat by too many professional photographers at American football and basketball games and heard the machine gun sound to know that you can't time it in these sports. I've seen the results myself while going from 5 FPS last year to 10fps this year.

Just like in farming, I'm going to use all the tools at my disposal to make the highest yields and the best crops. Lots of people are trying to sell me stuff that probably won't make any difference but there are/is something new every now and then that will increase yields or make my job easier. Same goes with sports photography.

Lots of adds showing what will help me get better sports shots. From software to lenses to cameras, I have to decide which is going to get me the best shots within the framework of the economics. This year I bought a Nikon D500 and it met all the criteria I wanted for better sports shots. Higher FPS, greatly improved autofocus and great lowlight performance. Other assets of the camera were just icing on the cake. I could have bought a D5 or a canon 1dx but the price was just too high.

Higher FPS is just another tool in my toolbox. I don't always use it but it's a great addition when I do need it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 01:00 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How important is high fps?

As far as what other photographers are doing, I think a lot of it is monkey see-monkey do. I was shooting a NASCAR race when the new track drying system first came out. The guy next to me fired about three 10 shot burst of the machine when it came by at about 10 miles per hour. I think that was more bad habit than good technique. I also heard the president stop in the middle of a press conference to scold photographers for hammering the shutters. 10+ frames per second for a environmental portrait? Come on man...

But, to each his own. High FPS has it's place I guess but if you can't get consistently good results without shooting at 10+ frames per second you probably need to work on your overall program.

Thanks,
Marty

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:03 AM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How important is high fps?

No one says you can't get good shots shooting at 5 or 6 frames per second. Some sports like football and basketball, 10 fps or faster is a tool you use to get the very peak action.

There has been several times during this years football bowl season where there have been very close instant replays. If you are not shooting 10 fps or higher you have a greater chance of getting that player with a catch with one foot down right by the sidelines or a player stepping out of bounds. The list is endless and I would rather have the FPS than take a chance with 5 fps and miss that shot. It is nothing more than a very good tool for many situations.

Jan 02, 2017 at 10:27 PM
mb126
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How important is high fps?

High FPS is one of those things you don't appreciate until you've tried it. You don't miss this shot completely with a 5D3 but I assure you the chances of getting the "just right" shot are lower.

High FPS is incredibly useful in sports, but I'd encourage you to think about other areas of photography you are interested in and it may well be helpful there too.

Jan 02, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Frans3huis

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How important is high fps?

Did you shoot this couple at 10fps with a 1Dx? Isn't that a bit conspicuous? The image looks good, no question.

Jan 03, 2017 at 10:39 AM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How important is high fps?

if she (or he!) can kiss like that amidst a 10fps hammer down... definitely a keeper

point still valid that higher fps amidst peak action can be helpful in many situations.

Jan 07, 2017 at 03:43 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How important is high fps?

Like many things, it depends. For baseball, if you're trying to get the ball in frame (or luckily, on bat) shooting a batter, or the ball on the tips of the pitcher's fingers, you gotta time that. In football, if you're looking to get the ball in frame or (luckily) just settling into the receiver's hands, you gotta time that.

Having said that, I burst shoot most other action at full frame rate. People's comments about limbs, the ball, other players, photo-bombing refs. etc., blocking faces and eyes, are VERY relevant. You can time a shot PERFECTLY, and have it ruined by something beyond your control. Since the best shots usually include faces and eyes, images with faces or eyes occluded, unless they are of a VERY pivotal play, aren't optimal. Having a shot or two at 1/14th second intervals before or after the peak action can save your butt.

I've also found shooting in burst mode, and shooting THROUGH the play, results in a lot of amazing shots of post peak action moments - frequently better shots than the "peak action". Fight the temptation to chimp, and keep shooting.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:06 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How important is high fps?

Some sports are very predictable while others are not. A higher FPS will give you more keepers and/or capture that PEAK point for unpredictable situations. While you may be able to time some aspects of a sport (baseball pitcher in windup) and can get by with less FPS, you can not time other aspects of game (fly ball in outfield comes out of glove) and not having a high FPS will miss the PEAK capture of that event, no matter how experienced a photog you are.

Jan 15, 2017 at 03:44 AM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How important is high fps?

I think you can't have the conversation about high FPS without mentioning reliable AF. Sometimes, my reaction time gets the subject in frame but the camera is still focused somewhere else - that could be technique on my part or something on the technology end. Secondly, there may be sports that are more predictable than others, but there's going to be something that happens during the event, like the little juke or the drama that happens during or after an event where the window is so slim that you will want that high frame rate to capture it. Finally, with 8K video technology streamlining, screen grabs at 24/30/60 frames a second will be desirable by all sorts of media outlets. There exists affordable equipment to the common consumer on the market now where the main focus is still photography with the added 'gimmick' of video. Dare I say that in 5 years the table will be turned where the emphasis in digital capture will be on the video with the gimmick being the 'still' shots? Is it so hard to believe? There will be technique involved with using that equipment as well but not to the same extent as what others are mentioning here for hardware devoted to still photography.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How important is high fps?

I have shot Flamenco dancers for over 10 years. I know the music, I know the dancers and I anticipate the moment(s). I started with a D70 (yes that long ago). Now I shoot with two D5 bodies at approx 12 fps. As the camera's fps have increased so have my chances to get a unique and, previously unseen by the dancers, action poses (spin, jump, or just the perfect pose).

There's no substitute for fps especially when the action is improvised-you can't anticipate random events. As far as the idea that it only matters how many you sell...I don't think so. You should be improvong your art or the work is dreary and dead. I Shoot about 1200-1400 shots per performance. I only get a handful of Heros. It takes some time in post to select and finish the Heros.

My little Sony RX100 MKV shoots at 24 fps (acquires focus between each frame)-maybe too many fps for most but special situations. Yes, a too small sensor for all but bright light and special situations. But you can see where all this is going. So suck it up.

Jan 18, 2017 at 05:50 AM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How important is high fps?

SoundHound wrote:
I have shot Flamenco dancers for over 10 years. I know the music, I know the dancers and I anticipate the moment(s). I started with a D70 (yes that long ago). Now I shoot with two D5 bodies at approx 12 fps. As the camera's fps have increased so have my chances to get a unique and, previously unseen by the dancers, action poses (spin, jump, or just the perfect pose).

There's no substitute for fps especially when the action is improvised-you can't anticipate random events. As far as the idea that it only matters how many you sell...I don't
...Show more

Well said, those who think they can time it and don't appreciate the flexibility and additional frames that high FPS simply don't know what they are missing

Jan 19, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How important is high fps?

Well, i use high fps and i also improve my timing, so with both i can have so much or lots of keepers no doubt, why should i depend only on timing or only on fps if i can use/do both?

Jan 22, 2017 at 03:53 PM
bergenor
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How important is high fps?

Ok, on my humble opinion.....more FPS is a must.... I do a lot of horses, mostly quarter horses....and I do very little editing, I don't change "parts" I don't add or remove things from my photos. Lets say that the horse is running towards me, there's no timing involved on it, he will do the same thing, take the same steps every 1-2-3 seconds, feet up, feet down, head up, head down....nothing to do with my timing, ok. Now you add more things in the equation ... horses blink their eyes,jockeys do the same, jockeys will whip the horses, pull the reins, scream at other jockeys....not a single photographer in the world can be good enough to know when that will happen. But a very very fast camera will take what.....the races last 17 seconds....I start to take when they are on the last 10 seconds.....thats 120-130 frames to catch a perfect shot...leg up, eyes open, muscles working, bla bla bla.....
Some tracks have horrible light thru the track, but have good light on the finish line....a Quarter Horse will go across that "good light" in a tent of a second.....again, no timing, no luck, nothing that you can do to change that....so let the little asians work for you and take as many shots as possible.
I had a 7d and 7D2 and now I have a 1Dx and Im saving to get a 1Dx2 and the only reason is that the buffer is much much faster.
My two cents.... More frames made me away more money than good timing.

Jan 23, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How important is high fps?

bergenor wrote:
Ok, on my humble opinion.....more FPS is a must.... I do a lot of horses, mostly quarter horses....and I do very little editing, I don't change "parts" I don't add or remove things from my photos. Lets say that the horse is running towards me, there's no timing involved on it, he will do the same thing, take the same steps every 1-2-3 seconds, feet up, feet down, head up, head down....nothing to do with my timing, ok. Now you add more things in the equation ... horses blink their eyes,jockeys do the same, jockeys will whip the horses, pull
...Show more

I know about that and i believe you, but others really are super humans on timing so they know about blinking or legs up or hitting the ball or kicking the opponents and blah blah blah..... no thanks, i depend on fps more than my timing, good luck with your timing.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM
RubenL
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How important is high fps?

I think it all depends on the sport you shoot, I shoot witch a one dx, and yes, i always shoot at the high frames per second option. But for me, way more important is the fast focus, and the fact, that the camera shoots, as fast as i ask it do do that.

I photograph most of the time teamhandball, when they are about to finish the attack to go shoot on goal, the game is amazingly fast, all the players are standing close to each other, running all in different directions to confuse the opponent. passing the ball from one to a other as fast as possible. and when they gonna shoot, I have to take the picture. and. when i look true the pictures to select the best. 70% of the time the best picture, is the one that is taken the first. 25% of the time it's the 2the. all other pictures are out of time.

so. with a lower frames a second, yea, i would miss that 25% of my pictures. but with worst focus, or with a slower reacting camera, i would miss those 70%.

So for me, is the high FPS, less important then other things.

When i shoot football or volleyball, we have a other story, there the high FPS is way more important. but i am not that good in those sports

greetz

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.