Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

What's up Sony fam! I'm increasingly getting into video more and more. I currently use a Canon 1DX Mark II, Canon 5Ds, and Sony a6300. I'm considering selling the 5Ds in favor of a A7RII for slower moving portraiture, landscapes, and ESPECIALLY video.

I'll be using the Batis 25 and 85 with it, and adapting my Canon glass as well.

In your opinion, should I be looking to switch? Do you think Sony will release the a7rii successor soon? Is it worth the switch fro the 5Ds body in your opinion?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Nov 15, 2016 at 02:21 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

Since you have the 1Dx Mark II for your fast action photography needs, then a FF 42 MP camera makes sense to me. Although the 5Ds has a little more MP but the A7r II makes up more for it in the DR and noise level. And yes, the IBIS is a really more than just a neat feature, it is functional, too . It has some quirks and it is not a perfect camera but what is? You do have the A6300 and as such, you are familiar with at least one Sony mirrorless. The A7r II is similar in a lot of ways with the A6300 with a FF sensor and IBIS.

The successor of the A7r II? I am 100% sure Sony is working on it but when it will be introduced or when it will be available is everyone's guess. People that know, don't divulge the info and people that don't, speculate. Nothing new here .

Let's hope that others will chime in and good luck with your decision,
Joshua

Nov 15, 2016 at 02:48 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

AGeoJO wrote:
Since you have the 1Dx Mark II for your fast action photography needs, then a FF 42 MP camera makes sense to me. Although the 5Ds has a little more MP but the A7r II makes up more for it in the DR and noise level. And yes, the IBIS is a really more than just a neat feature, it is functional, too . It has some quirks and it is not a perfect camera but what is? You do have the A6300 and as such, you are familiar with at least one Sony mirrorless. The A7r II is similar
...Show more

Thank you for the detailed response. While I don't want to use two separate systems when shooting portraits on a photo shoot, I really do think that the extra detail in that sensor because of the lack of an anti aliasing filter could be great as well.

Did Sony fix the overheating on the a7rii?

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:22 PM
scrappydog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

I switched from the 5D3 to the A7R2. I don't use it for video. The IQ of the A7R2 is worth the switch IMO. As mentioned, the IQ isn't just resolution but also DR, the lack of AA filter, noise, the quality of the noise (no chroma noise or banding, and it has a fine grain look), and lower SNR in lower ISOs. I have been using my A7R2 for BIF shots (for fun) and I have gotten a higher hit rate than my 7D2 using the Canon 500/4 II + 1.4x III combo (using the Metabones IV T adapter with the Sony). This isn't to say that it is easy, but the camera performs well in the right hands. Good luck!

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:41 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas wrote:
Thank you for the detailed response. While I don't want to use two separate systems when shooting portraits on a photo shoot, I really do think that the extra detail in that sensor because of the lack of an anti aliasing filter could be great as well.

Did Sony fix the overheating on the a7rii?

Overheating as in exposures over 30 secs? That's the only issue that I am aware off. I believe Sony fixed that in a firmware but my understanding is it was not to the satisfaction of many. This issue is more for serious astrophotography where stat tracking is desirable. I did some star tracking using intervals of exposure with 1-2 sec between exposures of 100 shots or so and I didn't encounter any issues.

Another aspect that I didn't mentioned in my earlier post, is the usage of a native lens. I would suggest, if you decide to add an A7r II into your lineup, would be to add at least a single native FE lens. You can take advantage of the full AF features, including the Eye-AF and that is a sweet feature. While face recognition, which is also a great, but Eye-AF kicks it up a notch. It makes your portrait session a breeze, IMHO.

Hope this helps further,
Joshua

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:55 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

AGeoJO wrote:
Overheating as in exposures over 30 secs? That's the only issue that I am aware off. I believe Sony fixed that in a firmware but my understanding is it was not to the satisfaction of many. This issue is more for serious astrophotography where stat tracking is desirable. I did some star tracking using intervals of exposure with 1-2 sec between exposures of 100 shots or so and I didn't encounter any issues.

Another aspect that I didn't mentioned in my earlier post, is the usage of a native lens. I would suggest, if you decide to add an A7r II
...Show more

The overheating that I'm referring to is for video. Hoping that isn't an issue any more.

I currently own the Zeiss Batis 25mm f2, and would probably add the Batis 85mm as well.

Nov 15, 2016 at 04:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas wrote:
The overheating that I'm referring to is for video. Hoping that isn't an issue any more.

I currently own the Zeiss Batis 25mm f2, and would probably add the Batis 85mm as well.

I heard about it but my understanding is it was with the A6300 and not with the A7r II. I am not shooting video, at least barely, only a clip here or there.

OK, both Batis lenses are great and yes, the Eye-AF will work just fine.

Nov 15, 2016 at 04:05 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

The A7rII is excellent for videos, but there is no perfect camera. The IBIS with native lenses work wonderfully well as Joshua has suggested. I have made a number of videos and surprised how easy the A7rII functions in this mode.

The 5DS is excellent for landscapes and where you need the 50MP but it is not ideal for videos whereas the new 5DIV is superb and being sought out by pros for this reason alone. It will depend on your existing lens lineup. If you have many Canon lenses, maybe rent both the 5DIV and A7rII and see what you think

Edited on Nov 15, 2016 at 08:44 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2016 at 04:31 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

charles.K wrote:
The A7rII is excellent for videos, but there is no perfect camera. The IBIS with native lenses work wonderfully well as Joshua has suggested. I have made a number of videos and surprised how easy the A7rII functions in this mode.

The 5DS excellent for landscapes and where you need the 50MP but it is not ideal for videos whereas the new 5DIV is superb and being sought out pros for this reason alone. It will depend on your existing lens lineup. If you many Canon lenses, maybe rent both the 5DIV and A7rII and see what you think

Yeah I'd be using it half for video and half for photos. I have a nice Canon L glass lineup as well. Currenlty I can't use my 5Ds for video really at all though, so I'm hoping this will be a good option. I have considered the 5D4, but I'm not sold on it. I know how crazy the video files are on my 1DX Mark II, and really don't want to have to deal with that in 2 cameras.

Nov 15, 2016 at 04:43 PM
bowens
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

I have been a Canon shooter since the EOS 10S and through most of the digital bodies. I currently have the 1DX and 5DMIII. I shoot both sports and weddings. I added the A7II and then the A7rII a little over a year ago and have definitely found a place for both. For sports it is still strictly the canon gear. I have been using the Sony A7rii more and more at weddings. (Probably 60%) As "AEOJO" Joshua said the DR of the Sony is fantastic. I also primarily use the Sony for travel, family, landscape etc. I'm sure you will appreciate the strengths of both.

One additional thought. I'm sure there will be an A7riii or A9r etc but I feel the A7rII is at a point much as the 1DX or 5DMIII. Both have recently been upgraded to the 1DxII and 5DM4 but the newest changes are not major leaps. The 1DX and 5DMIII are still great and really do what we need. I feel the A7rII is also at that point. There were great leaps in technology improvements from the original A7 series to the A7II and then another to the A7rII. Not sure the next will be as great. Many improvements coming now in the Sony glass.

Nov 16, 2016 at 01:25 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

I can't really help you with video, as I'm a still photographer, but I'd recommend switching.

People always complain about recent Sony lenses being "too" big, but with the a7rii you at least have the option to walk out of the door with a very light bag, carrying the two Batis lenses (plus may be a 55 1.8) and the a7rii. Going light is more complicated with DSLR's.

Since you already have an a6300, you already know the menu system. The a6300 and a7rii use the same battery, which is another plus.

No clue about the a7rii successor. The negative effects of the earthquake in Kumamoto on Sony's sensor fab in that prefecture are apparently a thing of the past. In the last couple of years, Sony has made sure that each second iteration of a camera (be it the a77ii, a99ii or the a7xii's) received substantial upgrades. I'd expect them to continue that trend, especially since they are aware that they are still lagging behind in AF performance. Then again, only Sony knows when the a9 or a7riii or whatever the next e-mount flagship will be called, is to hit the market. In the meantime, you could be out shooting still photography or video with a perfectly capable a7rii.

Nov 16, 2016 at 06:25 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas wrote:
What's up Sony fam! I'm increasingly getting into video more and more. I currently use a Canon 1DX Mark II, Canon 5Ds, and Sony a6300. I'm considering selling the 5Ds in favor of a A7RII for slower moving portraiture, landscapes, and ESPECIALLY video.

I'll be using the Batis 25 and 85 with it, and adapting my Canon glass as well.

In your opinion, should I be looking to switch? Do you think Sony will release the a7rii successor soon? Is it worth the switch fro the 5Ds body in your opinion?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

For video the A7r II is quite good, but I prefer the A7s. Part of it depends on if you shoot 4K. For the A7r II 4K you will be shooting in Super 35 format and it is quite good in that format, but I prefer using the whole sensor and not cropping with the A7s. I would recommend against using an AF lens for video if you want to be serious about it. Manual focus, in my opinion, works much better for video.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:09 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

Steve Spencer wrote:
For video the A7r II is quite good, but I prefer the A7s. Part of it depends on if you shoot 4K. For the A7r II 4K you will be shooting in Super 35 format and it is quite good in that format, but I prefer using the whole sensor and not cropping with the A7s. I would recommend against using an AF lens for video if you want to be serious about it. Manual focus, in my opinion, works much better for video.

I'd like to do some 4k shooting with it. Are you stating that I'll be in super 35 because it's slightly better quality. Because you can definitely shoot in 4k full frame as well.

Nov 17, 2016 at 01:18 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas wrote:
I'd like to do some 4k shooting with it. Are you stating that I'll be in super 35 because it's slightly better quality. Because you can definitely shoot in 4k full frame as well.

Yes, Ross I guess I should have been more clear. I am not a fan of the A7rII 4K full frame mode especially if light is low. I think the difference between Super 35 and FF 4K is quite noticeable, as is the difference between the A7rII FF 4K and the A7s full frame 4K. When you can shoot in a mode that produces better output I'm not sure why you would use the mode that doesn't work as well, so yeah I think if you get the A7rII you will end up shooting mostly in Super 35. At least that is my experience. Exceptions would be when you want to shoot very wide or when you need very shallow depth of field, but for me then I reach for the A7s. Actually I typically reach for the A7s first. Perhaps because I typically use an external monitor when shooting so I don't care about internal 4K. I find the external monitor to be helpful in all sorts of ways besides the better 4K recording--mainly it is just so much easier to see what you are doing and keep track of things like sound level. Given that the A7s with an external monitor costs about the same as the A7rII, I think for most work the A7s with the external monitor is the way to go, but if you need a small form factor, then I would consider the A7sII.
Keep in mind, I shoot at least 90 percent of the time from a tripod and I don't typically shoot action. For me the A7s works quite well and I think is superior to the A7rII. It is a great system with one flaw, rolling shutter for action in some instances. Since I rarely shoot action it isn't much of an issue for me.
So, yes there are pros and cons, but if you really want video I think the A7rII is good, but I think the A7s with an external monitor/recorder is better in most if not almost all instances. Of course you want portraits and landscapes as well so I can see the pull of the A7r II. The A7s is a nifty little camera, however. I find it works well for portraits and despite recent trends for high MP cameras, 12MP works very well for portraits. No problem at all printing to 11 X 14 and portraits typically don't need to be printed bigger than that. If you needed bigger than that, then the A7r II would be very helpful. Also for landscapes I can see the clear advantage of the A7r II. So, you will have to balance whether optimizing video is worth sacrifices in other areas or if you a camera that does more things and doesn't do video quite as well.
Also keep in mind, video can suck up a lot of money quick. I like to shoot from a good tripod, with a follow focus system, good manual lenses (I use mostly Zeiss Milvus, Loxia, and Otus lenses), and a good matte box with good ND filters. Such a system costs thousand of dollars. You can start out small, but like most things cheaping out doesn't pay off in the long run. Even if you start small, and you get a simple rig, make sure you budget for ND filters. With video ND filters are typically necessary to get good exposure as you can't modify the shutter speed.

Nov 17, 2016 at 07:06 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

ross.thomas wrote:

I'de give 4K FF a chance before writing it off. super 35 is better in extremely poor light, but we're talking about outdoors nighttime type stuff. I pretty much only use super 35 if I dont have enough reach, focal length matters more than the minor IQ stuff. I do use it with native AF lenses, and it works fine.

Nov 17, 2016 at 09:30 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking to switch 1 Canon body to an A7RII - Should I?

Charlie N wrote:
I'de give 4K FF a chance before writing it off. super 35 is better in extremely poor light, but we're talking about outdoors nighttime type stuff. I pretty much only use super 35 if I dont have enough reach, focal length matters more than the minor IQ stuff. I do use it with native AF lenses, and it works fine.

That's really good to hear. Still trying to sell my 5Ds in order to finance it!

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.