New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Contax Images Thread

AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax Images Thread

I ran a search, but couldn't find any images thread for any and all Contax glass so thought I'd start one. Post your best shots and help fuel everyone's GAS. A few to get it started.

35-70mm f/3.4
Mornings by Matt Parvin, on Flickr

35-70mm f/3.4
Bluetent Portrait by Matt Parvin, on Flickr

50mm f/1.7
C/Y 50mm f/1.7 by Matt Parvin, on Flickr

50mm f/1.7
Fair Lights by Matt Parvin, on Flickr

50mm f/1.7
Brunswick Town by Matt Parvin, on Flickr

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM
mhespenheide
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax Images Thread

For Contax Zeiss images from the N- (autofocus) lenses:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/850075/

I know there's another one out there that has the Contax/Zeiss manual focus lenses, but I'm failing at finding it.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:00 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax Images Thread

The Zeiss Images thread seems to be where these typically go. Other Zeiss mixed in, but Contax G and Contax C/Y are both well represented.

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:40 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax Images Thread

I don't recall a Contax image thread, just the ZE/ZF... Image thread, so a Contax thread seams like a good idea to me, full speed ahead!

Nov 16, 2016 at 04:22 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax Images Thread

arduluth wrote:
The Zeiss Images thread seems to be where these typically go. Other Zeiss mixed in, but Contax G and Contax C/Y are both well represented.

Yes, this one ...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1009161

Nov 16, 2016 at 04:36 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax Images Thread

'Contax G and Contax C/Y are both well represented.'

But they are neither explicitly nor separately identified as such, as seen in: the ZE/ZF, Batis, Loxia, RX1, Leica M etc, Leica R series, Canon FD and so on and so forth, image threads. All titled as such, by range or mount, all very focused and successful in page view terms. Other image threads are buried down past p2. Below the fold it may as well not exist, like p2 of Google search results, viewed by 1-2% of users.

'Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion' sounds vague and with mixed signals; it has accumulated only 255 pages in 5.5 years, and many pages are taken up with a lot of chat. It's a kind of 'Zeiss NEC' category - 'not elsewhere classified'.

From an information architecture POV - in which interfaces attempt to order content for the easy discoverability and enjoyment of the user base, ALL image threads would sit together in a dedicated image forum - 'Lens Range Images' forum or similar.

Such a forum would be very popular indeed. Images and image threads buried in a 'Gear Talk' forum of mostly camera brand names is not very transparent in the IA new users see - you have to know what you are looking for, in order to find it. In this day and age, it also would have the benefit of working from the lens not the camera, which better accords with the reality of photography in any case. Most use the same lenses on a variety of bodies over time, get similar results, give or take resolution, color - sensor attributes, effectively.

Nov 16, 2016 at 06:00 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax Images Thread

Apologies for starting a controversy. I saw the Contax N, but that's a specific subset that doesn't include the majority of Contax glass. I saw the "Classic" Zeiss line, but again its a different subset. I did miss the general Zeiss page however. Haven't gotten any photos though so that'll settle it pretty quick, if it goes below the fold.

Nov 16, 2016 at 08:49 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax Images Thread

Mathieu18 wrote:
Apologies for starting a controversy. I saw the Contax N, but that's a specific subset that doesn't include the majority of Contax glass. I saw the "Classic" Zeiss line, but again its a different subset. I did miss the general Zeiss page however. Haven't gotten any photos though so that'll settle it pretty quick, if it goes below the fold.

No worries, not a controversy! If you want to have a Contax only thread, knock your socks off! The only problem is that the more specific you get with an image thread, the more likely it is to end up not getting used, withering on the vine. It happens.

FWIW, there is already a thread devoted to Contax C/Y photos: C/Y Zeiss Image Post. Doesn't include all Contax lenses, just C/Y. Had a good run, but hasn't been used in years.

It may seem silly (and IMHO definitely can be), but the Fred Miranda forums has a somewhat peculiar interest in what people put in what thread. Don't take it personally, it's just part of the culture of the FM Forums. There's usually no ill-feelings involved, just healthy debate.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM
inglis
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax Images Thread

A Contax or Contax CY thread would be nice to have active in which ever way works. I find such threads helpful in appreciating lenses especially on the alternative board.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax Images Thread

philip_pj wrote:
From an information architecture POV - in which interfaces attempt to order content for the easy discoverability and enjoyment of the user base, ALL image threads would sit together in a dedicated image forum - 'Lens Range Images' forum or similar.

The problem is, the FM Forums are not and likely will never be the perfect place to browse images with well-defined, consistent metadata for each image and no discussion. It could be done with consistently defined and used tags for lens and camera as well as a system for enforcing their use, but that isn't an option with the FM Forums right now. Bringing in all of the previous, untagged content would take a group of people many, many hours sifting through threads and tagging images.

Ultimately these forums are a community, not a database. As such, all attempts to make it easy to only browse images made with a specific camera and lens combination will be imperfect at best. Not to say we shouldn't even try, but there's something to be said for posting images in a healthy and active thread rather than starting a new one that ends up not getting used.

Given the cross posting functionality, it could be fun to have an forum populated with all the image threads.

Anyway, my suggestion was meant to be helpful. I have no interest playing forum police.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Frederik0711
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax Images Thread

Sony a7R IV A + Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6

Untitled by Frederik J. T., on Flickr

Oct 23, 2023 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.