New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Facebook 360° panoramas

balga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook 360° panoramas

Hi there,
I'm trying to find a way to upload my panoramas on Facebook as 360° immersive photos.
It works fine when I use the iphone ones, but i'm finding it rather impossible to do with the panoramas taken on camera with the a7s or stitched on computer.

Of course I tried googling but everything that comes up is always phone related.
How do you guys do it?

thanks

Max

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:28 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook 360° panoramas

Hi Max,

It's actually something I struggled with and figured out, and it's now relatively easy to do.

You need to do a couple of things:

- make your image be 2:1 (max resolution is 6000x3000) - usually we'll have longer panos. That's fine. I open in Photoshop, resize to 6000 pixels wide if my original is wider (usually), then resize the canvas to 3000 pixels high (if your original is less than 6000 wide, keep that width and adjust the height accordingly to be 2:1 with the width), while keeping your original image centered. I put a black or (typically) grey solid background color, to make it obvious that it's not part of the image.
- use a EXIF editing tool - change the maker to RICOH. Change the model to RICOH THETA S. I clear the rest of the EXIF data, but I'm not sure if that's needed.
- upload to Facebook!

It works fine. Since the background is an obvious solid color that stands out from the image, it's obvious what's part of the panorama and what's there as filler.

I am planning to make a Windows, GUI-based program to drag/drop and automate the process for my own uses. Do you think others (like yourself) would use it?

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:50 PM
balga
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook 360° panoramas

Thanks Max_Pain
I definitely think someone will find it useful until Facebook change their uploading algorithm.
I am using it for real estate marketing, that basically brings people into an active 360 view of the property when scrolling the feed, and the response has been VERY good so far.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.