New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

rushbikes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

Has anyone come up with what they feel is an excellent solution for editing their photo library in Lightroom using multiple computers? Context is I travel a lot and therefore do a ton of editing on my laptop but prefer to edit on my desktop when at home. Also I don't always carry my external drives with me. Challenge is to have LR catalog and images accessible to both computers and maintain backups.

Have considered the usual suspects--Synology, QNAP, Dropbox--but would love to hear some firsthand experience before taking a plunge in any direction.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:36 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

Dropbox would be a good option, but I put all my current working projects on a 1TB Samsung T3 SSD.

I know you said you don't carry externals with you, but this thing is half the size of a phone and could fit in any tiny pocket you could find. Also helps that it's blazing fast.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:09 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

One option is to put your LR catalog file in Dropbox.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:11 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

I just drop my LR CAT file and smart preview file onto a memory stick and run that on my laptop .
When I get home I just copy the cat file back to my desktop (overwrite) and carry on from there.

I have found any cloud based option to slow and unreliable .

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:10 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

Smart Previews most likely will do the job for you.

Nov 15, 2016 at 08:14 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

I've used Dropbox for this purpose, and I'm in the process of switching over to iCloud Drive (which I expect will work similarly).

There's a few tips/things to be aware of when you do this:

• Obviously, you'll need an account large enough to hold your Library file, plus the Previews and Smart Previews files. These can be very large. Mine, for example, total about 150GB.
• Be sure you don't try to open the Lightroom library on both computers at the same time.
• When you use LR on one computer, be sure to allow enough time for the library files to sync before trying to launch LR on the other computer.
• If you don't routinely generate Smart Previews, it can be very useful to create them for particular folders/projects (on the computer holding the original, of course) if you anticipate needing to do more serious editing on the other machine.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM
rushbikes

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

Like the idea of using smart previews, but not sure how to implement it seamlessly across multiple computers without having to carry a memory stick around with me and overwriting LR CAT and smart preview files each time I bounce back and forth.

If cloud is slow and unreliable (which I'm apt to agree with), I suppose I could keep images, LR CAT and smart preview files in the cloud (dropbox or NAS), and download the smart preview + LR CAT every time I want to make changes. Then overwrite them when I'm done with changes. Seems like in 2016 there should be a more seamless, automated solution for fluidly moving from computer to computer... Maybe I'll just get one of those small external Samsung drives.

For anyone interested, just watched a quick tutorial on smart previews here.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

rushbikes wrote:
Like the idea of using smart previews, but not sure how to implement it seamlessly across multiple computers without having to carry a memory stick around with me and overwriting LR CAT and smart preview files each time I bounce back and forth.

If cloud is slow and unreliable (which I'm apt to agree with), I suppose I could keep images, LR CAT and smart preview files in the cloud (dropbox or NAS), and download the smart preview + LR CAT every time I want to make changes. Then overwrite them when I'm done with changes. Seems like in 2016 there
...Show more

things you need to remember with smart previews .

1: they have to be in the SAME location as your LRcat file
2: you cant rename them , even if you name them back to original they will not work
3: they are essential a raw file (low res DNG) . they don't change when you edit . edits are held in your LR CAT file . so unless you add more images to the catalogue you don't need to keep moving the same smart preview file around .
4: dont do sharpening or NR on a smart preview unless you know what the values you want will be .
5: if you export an image from a smart preview you are exporting from the lower res file . great if its for email or quick web posting , not great for printing.

personally if I'm flicking back and fourth between machines I just run the LR cat file from my memory stick (just double click it) . USB3 sticks (well decent ones at least) are plenty fast enough .
when Im more settled in front of my iMac i'll transfer the CAT file back to the internal drive

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:03 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

I guess I'm confused as to why an external SSD is such a hassle for you? If you're carrying a laptop, odds are pretty good that it's in a bag, with 2"x1"x0.3" to spare, right?

What's the reason for drive-aversion?

Nov 15, 2016 at 07:42 PM
rushbikes

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Post-Pro on Multiple Computers

mikethevilla wrote:
I guess I'm confused as to why an external SSD is such a hassle for you? If you're carrying a laptop, odds are pretty good that it's in a bag, with 2"x1"x0.3" to spare, right?

What's the reason for drive-aversion?

My hang up on the external drive is really just minor nuisances. Primarily it's that I don't always remember to pack it and bring it along with me. I'm using it with both desktop and mobile - it's usually connected to my desktop - and I often find myself reaching for the images while I'm out and cursing myself for having forgotten to bring it along.

Though it hasn't affected me (yet), I don't like the idea of being limited in storage and carrying around the (albeit minor) extra size and weight. Plus one more thing to lose.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.