New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

Jeff Rogers
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

My 8+ year old Epson 9800 may have about died and I might need to replace it. I am an irregular and low volume printer so it sounds like the Canon Pro4000 may be a better choice for my needs whereas the Epson needs to print regularly and weekly so the print nozzles don't clog up. I have not found much information in the way of comparisons. Thanks for any input.

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:19 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

you should look up old posts in the printing forum on luminous-landscape.

also this as it applies to the 4000...
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/review_canon_pro-2000.html

Remember that the Canon heads *WILL* need replacing after 2-3 years or so. The advantage is that it's a trivial (yet not trivial cost) process.

Nov 15, 2016 at 06:17 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

The new P series Epson printers are quite different when it comes to clogging. I owned an Epson 7900 for 7.5 years. It clogged randomly and frequently in summer and not much in winter. In early July I replaced it with a P7000 (same head and ink as the P9000) and have not seen a single clogged nozzle yet. That time includes a 3+ week powered off period in October while I was away. Otherwise I make prints roughly once per week or once per 2 weeks.

There are some other improvements, like visibly wider gamut (seen only on prints that can use it), twice the fade resistance (200 yrs color, 400 yrs black& white per Wilhelm), and improvement in gloss differential and bronzing, which were quite good to start with. In all I'm happier than I expected to be with the printer.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

howardm4 wrote:
you should look up old posts in the printing forum on luminous-landscape.

also this as it applies to the 4000...
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/review_canon_pro-2000.html

Remember that the Canon heads *WILL* need replacing after 2-3 years or so. The advantage is that it's a trivial (yet not trivial cost) process.

...and if you don't use the Canon heads regularly, they clog up and die early. They are only warrantied for a year. If you don't use the Canon regularly you could be replacing print heads a $500 each (not sure what the new ones for the 4000 will cost). Non-regular use caused other problems at least with the iPF8300 (main boards, relay boards etc. (each fix costs $1000+ for Canon to come out and fix).

So take your pick:
Non regular use with the Epson -- clogs to be clean and some ink wasted.
Non regular use with the Canon -- replace heads and potentially other components to fix for $$$.

Non-regular use was the reason I bought a Canon iPF8300, after frustration with my Epson. I regret it.

Jan 03, 2017 at 11:26 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

or consider the HP z3200 series. People tend to write them off since they haven't been updated in a while but the heads are 2channel and are $70 each (although there are 6 of them).

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114832.0

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:13 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

howardm4 wrote:
or consider the HP z3200 series. People tend to write them off since they haven't been updated in a while but the heads are 2channel and are $70 each (although there are 6 of them).

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114832.0

I have two HP Z3100 printers for over 5 years and use them sporadically with down times over a month while I'm away traveling. Very little issues with clogged heads. Had to replace a few print heads but that is very easy to do and cheap. Very frugal on ink.

Highly recommend the large format HP printers for personal use where it won't be running in a production shop. The Canon and Epson printers are designed for high volume print shops...and even then the latest Epson printers still have major clogging problems.

Go to Luminous Landscape and have a read of the issues still persisting with the latest generation. There are many people there with tons of experience.

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:38 AM
gchappel
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

I have a 22month old ipf8400.
Unfortunately I too am a low volume, intermittent printer.
Printer did great for almost 2 years. Then I got the error message that I need to replace the right print head. $450. I also had to replace the maintainence cartridge.
Easy to do. Back up and running.
I am told to expect the second print head to go out shortly, so I have one on hand.
I live in a rural area- and getting a tech out to fix a printer is difficult and expensive.
For me this works.
The large printer has been a wonderfully interesting purchase.
Gary

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:41 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

From what I've heard, the Canon 1000/2000/4000 all use 1x PF-10 head which is somewhere around $600 or so. That at least makes head replacement slightly less expensive. That's a big hit (percentage-wise) to take for the smaller 1000 printer though.

Jan 04, 2017 at 09:33 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

I'll wait until the jury is back on the reliability of the new, bigger print head in the 2000/4000 printers. Are they going to be more reliable? Not sure having to replace one $600 print head every time a channel goes is better than one $450 head perhaps a little more frequently. Are the head still only warrantied for a year? Finally, is the Canon printhead reliability issue just a function of the technology they used and therefore something we just have to accept as a nearly annual consumable?

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:28 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

Lotusm50 wrote:
I'll wait until the jury is back on the reliability of the new, bigger print head in the 2000/4000 printers. Are they going to be more reliable? Not sure having to replace one $600 print head every time a channel goes is better than one $450 head perhaps a little more frequently. Are the head still only warrantied for a year? Finally, is the Canon printhead reliability issue just a function of the technology they used and therefore something we just have to accept as a nearly annual consumable?

The thing people need to understand is these printers from Canon and Epson were made for production environments with many prints every day. For the hobbyist, they do create problems because most don't put enough prints through the printers and things start to malfunction.

Like I said in my previous post, the HP printers I have are used sparingly at times, standing without printing for over a month and I have very little issues with clogs or things going faulty. I would recommend them for the home printer as it seems whatever technology they use, they can stand idle for extended periods without ramifications.

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:36 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon or Epson 44" printer better

+1 on HP Z3200...

Jan 05, 2017 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.