New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Image Backup

Charlie52
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image Backup

I've been using Sync Toy many years now, but recently I noticed something that concerned me. I had been deleting a number of files on my desktop and when I went to perform a backup I looked at the preview and noticed that not one file was destined for deletion. I thought there may have been an issue with the application so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and no change. Apparently Microsoft has quit supporting this product. As a result I'm looking for a new backup application. However I don't want the application to mess with the files in anyway; no compression or alteration.

Any suggestions on a good backup software?

Charlie

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:38 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image Backup

This is what I use: https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/
I have a second drive (D), and rather than shutting down my PC, I always invoke Casper to clone C to D then shut down. I can interrupt the boot process and direct it to boot from D instead of C, so if C ever fails, I already have a current backup. I also clone C to a USB SSD occasionally, so I have another level of backup, just in case.

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:08 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image Backup

There are different settings in Sync Toy regarding changes/deletions on the source. Are you sure it is set right?
You shouldn't be manually backing up things anyway. Sync Toy can be set to automatically run in the Scheduler.
I've used Acronis which is a simple back up system that works.
As long as it is automatic and you test it, should be fine.

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:48 PM
Charlie52
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image Backup

As stated I"ve been using it for years, with no problems, and this started happening. I'm very familiar with the settings. The fact that MS stopped supporting it tells me it's time to move on.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM
kedan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image Backup

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html
SyncBackPro, the professional's tool to backup, synchronize, and restore data files
The above is awesome costs a little but gives great results.

Or robocopy. Haven't used it in a while but all it takes is a simple script. Also very robust and quite simple if you want to do basic coding.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image Backup

I use SmartSync Pro.

EBH

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:55 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image Backup

kedan wrote:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html
SyncBackPro, the professional's tool to backup, synchronize, and restore data files
The above is awesome costs a little but gives great results.

Or robocopy. Haven't used it in a while but all it takes is a simple script. Also very robust and quite simple if you want to do basic coding.

I've used Robocopy (windows) forever. I don't want backups that are encrypted or saved in some special backup format. I want a backup drive that could literally be substituted for the original drive with no "restore" process involved. When backups are formatted so that a particular program is required to "restore" the files, your backup depends on the availability of the that software to read the backup. Companies come and go, activation keys get lost, system drives get wiped out. A mirror copy is not dependent on any special software and can be directly read by any recent windows OS running on any computer. Because of that there is no worry about being able to access the images you backed up regardless of what happens to the computer you are using. If the building housing your system burns down your offsite backups are simple and easy to access.

Robocopy is a command line tool that has always been part of the Windows OS, including Windows 10. With the right option settings it does not copy files that have not changed and can quickly maintain an exact mirror of the source drive. Long ago I used Synch Toy for a couple of years but Robocopy is far simpler. As mentioned it can be scripted too.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.