New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Zion Canyon

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zion Canyon

I am really close to be very happy with this one - but feel like it could use a few tweaks that are not revealing themselves to me.
What would you recommend?
Thanks,
Bob

© uintaangler 2016

Zion Canyon

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zion Canyon

You could have slowed the water with an ND for a multi second shutter, or you could brighten the left canyon wall or go back in search of even more color on the trees,. But I would not do anything,, I really like it as is.

It looks like you were in the water. I know the area and never figured out a comp, my hat is off to you.

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zion Canyon

The natural framing formed by canyon walls and lesser my autumn foliage establishes a solid and strong presence to this fine scenic

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zion Canyon

Always a matter of S&P to taste.

I tried to change the tonal / saturation balances so that there could be a bit more movement throughout the entire scene ... but, hopefully not so much that you lose the warmly lit geology.

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zion Canyon

Perhaps a bit of clockwise rotation, a mid-tone contrast bump, drop the vibrance a smig, and a slight vignette?

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zion Canyon

I'm with Ben on this and don't think I would change a thing. I do like Keren's FG contrast in her edit but I feel like the warm glow is being lost on the right canyon wall.

When your happy with it, print this puppy large!

Nice!

Dave

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zion Canyon

ben egbert wrote:
You could have slowed the water with an ND for a multi second shutter, or you could brighten the left canyon wall or go back in search of even more color on the trees,. But I would not do anything,, I really like it as is.

It looks like you were in the water. I know the area and never figured out a comp, my hat is off to you.

Thanks Ben, not in the water, on a little sandbar that jutted out from shore just enough

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:35 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zion Canyon

Rick Joyce wrote:
The natural framing formed by canyon walls and lesser my autumn foliage establishes a solid and strong presence to this fine scenic

Thank you Rick.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:35 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zion Canyon

RustyBug wrote:
Always a matter of S&P to taste.

I tried to change the tonal / saturation balances so that there could be a bit more movement throughout the entire scene ... but, hopefully not so much that you lose the warmly lit geology.

Looks like the left side is a bit brighter - I like it - how did you do it?

Do you think highlights in the water add to the image or detract. I toned them down a bit in my original.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zion Canyon

lighthound wrote:
I'm with Ben on this and don't think I would change a thing. I do like Keren's FG contrast in her edit but I feel like the warm glow is being lost on the right canyon wall.

When your happy with it, print this puppy large!

Nice!

Dave

Agree about the right canyon wall and thanks!

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zion Canyon

I believe the image will definitely benefit from a boost of mid tones. I also believe that the trees and vegetation could be emphasized more adding some brightness considering the pleasing color tones. The sky could also be pulled out a bit. All that is clearly a matter of personal taste.
Socrate

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zion Canyon

I don't know if this is why it seems off to you, but I think my problem is that I was expecting some of those big riverbed rocks to be right up in the foreground or at least feeling like I needed SOMETHING to be there. I think I wish you'd taken ten steps forward and stooped down a little. Mid- and back-ground are absolutely gorgeous though.

Nov 17, 2016 at 02:06 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zion Canyon

Lee Saxon wrote:
I don't know if this is why it seems off to you, but I think my problem is that I was expecting some of those big riverbed rocks to be right up in the foreground or at least feeling like I needed SOMETHING to be there. I think I wish you'd taken ten steps forward and stooped down a little. Mid- and back-ground are absolutely gorgeous though.

Here is is with the crop Lee suggested......

© uintaangler 2016

Zion Canyon Cropped

Nov 18, 2016 at 03:35 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zion Canyon

Yeah, for me that's a drastic improvement. The real excitement is in the mountains and this crop brings your eye up there much more IMHO. I also think RustyBug's sharpening tweak would be an improvement. Shasoc's version "overcranks" things a little for my taste and even blows out the peaks a bit.

A nitpick - I don't know if you plan to print this or if you do your own framing or what, but if you're not particular about standard aspect ratios: if it were me I might've let it go a little "widescreen" (cropped mainly just the bottom) so that I could've kept all of that big rock on the bank.

Nov 18, 2016 at 04:43 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zion Canyon

Lee, I buy standard size pre-cut mats and that has caused me to become overly conscious of aspect ratios
I tried to compensate for splitting the rock on the bottom right by also splitting the rock on the bottom left - kind of like, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"

Nov 18, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zion Canyon

Yeah, I mean, in that respect it works, I don't mind the splitting, I just personally find more "widescreen" landscapes to be more "epic." I like about 16:10 personally, it does get to be too much when you get into the TV and film aspect ratios.

Nov 18, 2016 at 06:33 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zion Canyon

not as much to offer as the others, but I lean toward the processing and crop in the last version. Seems the most natural, still with some pop and that great light on the mountainside
nice image with many possible post-processing interpretations

Scott

Nov 18, 2016 at 08:45 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zion Canyon

sbeme wrote:
not as much to offer as the others, but I lean toward the processing and crop in the last version. Seems the most natural, still with some pop and that great light on the mountainside
nice image with many possible post-processing interpretations

Scott

Not being a landscape guy, I am amazed by all these wonderful tweaks and interpretations. Kudos to everyone for sharing ideas.
Steve

Nov 18, 2016 at 09:04 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zion Canyon

I think it is great as presented, but since you asked, I did some minor tweaks.

Nov 19, 2016 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.