FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Tiff versus Raw

JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:
The reason for this question was: I shoot D500. My CS6 can't open its raw's. I will have to convert D500's raw-files to DNG's . I found it cumbersome and time consuming.
Now D500 can store images in Tiff's.
I didn't know that there are more than one Tiff files..
How do I find out what kind of Tiff D500 has?

Why don't you use Nikon's free offerings to work with NEF's? View NXi is a Lightroom type of browser and quick editor, Capture NX-D is a full blown NEF editor. These will let you retain any Picture Controls in post, then output them in tiff for additional edits in PS.

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:14 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tiff versus Raw

JBPhotog wrote:
Why don't you use Nikon's free offerings to work with NEF's? View NXi is a Lightroom type of browser and quick editor, Capture NX-D is a full blown NEF editor. These will let you retain any Picture Controls in post, then output them in tiff for additional edits in PS.

This is a great option. I will look at it for sure. Thanks!

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:22 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:
this may be an option. LR "perpetual?" how long will they update the raw conversion or every time I buy a new camera, I will have to buy a new version?

You get updates until the next major version. For example, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, etc. We are on 6.7 right now, which includes D500, D5 and just about every other major camera on the market. When or if they release a LR 7.0 you will have to pay for the upgrade, usually in the neighborhood of $90.00, give or take.

Keep in mind that if you go this route, you will have to learn to use LR. However, if you take the time to learn it, you may find your need for PS to be minimal. I do 95% of my post in LR, and only use PS6 for a few specific functions.

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tiff versus Raw

pretty much i think even LR has reached the end of the line. the only product they may have out that is the so call perpetual option may be Elements and v15 just came out. it is a more limited product.

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:35 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tiff versus Raw

I never adopted LR and frankly don't intend to get sucked down that Adobe vortex, I still use CS6. AFAIK, Nikon still haven't handed over the full set of Raw data embedded in their NEF's so all but Nikon processors are taking a best guess as to what the shooter wants.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tiff versus Raw

JBPhotog wrote:
I never adopted LR and frankly don't intend to get sucked down that Adobe vortex, I still use CS6. AFAIK, Nikon still haven't handed over the full set of Raw data embedded in their NEF's so all but Nikon processors are taking a best guess as to what the shooter wants.

you are aware that Nikon and adobe have had a good working relationship the past few years right?

Nov 15, 2016 at 05:12 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tiff versus Raw

sjms wrote:
you are aware that Nikon and adobe have had a good working relationship the past few years right?

Yep.

Nov 15, 2016 at 06:28 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tiff versus Raw

Some battles are just not worth fighting. You can stand on principle and end up with old outdated, inferior software and spend all your free time trying to to an end run around Adobe all the while you're paying monthly subscription fees for you telephone, cell phone, internet service, your freaking MS Office, and probably your leased car as well. Unfortunately that's just the way things are, and for only ten bucks a month, it's really not worth the fight. I'm sure the good doctor from Madera can afford it.

I don't even bitch that much about paying fifty bucks a month, as I use Ps, Id, Ai, Pr, Au, and Acrobat Pro all on a regular basis. Never Lr though. Still a bargain.

Hell, some things you just buy because you want them, and nothing else. They don't have to make you money, but sometimes they do - like $15K on a used scanner or $6K on a printer or $10K on a spectro and (so far) three different profiling packages over the years. It's investing in myself and making me more competitive. You can even download the latest Photoshop and Capture One and try them for free, although on 7 days for Adobe.

Nov 15, 2016 at 08:46 AM
Paul_K
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tiff versus Raw

The few times I worked with TIFF's, I found the size of the files (I mainly work with D800's) a bit too much (well over 100MB a piece), so despite working with a i7 16MB 762 GB SSD MBP, I prefer just processing my NEF's using Nikon Capture NX2

f you really want to work with TIFF's, why not just download a free copy of Nikon NX-D,which can handle D500 NEF's.
Process the NEF's to your liking, store them as TIFF's.and you're set to continue in Photoshop or whatever other program you prefer

That said, if you still have a copy of NX2, upgrade to NX 2.4.6.(NOT 2.4.7) and download this nifty little program http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/
It'll allow you to continue processing the NEF's from eg D810, D500 and D5 (and other more recent Nikon camera's, and RAW's from other manufacturer bodies) in NX2.4.6.

Sure, NX2 is not the lastest and greatest, fastest nor slickest piece of software around.
But at least for Nikon cameras it's IMO still the program to get the best results out of NEF's (apart from some playing around with Canon RAW's, no serious experience with other manufacturer RAW's.)

And last but not least, it has the Color Correction Points, which allow very locally applied, very specific (user selected/set) corrections (Nik Software offers a similar option, but a more limited version, and only for JPG's), without need for masking, layering etc, for me the main reason why I still hang on to it

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tiff versus Raw

JBPhotog wrote:
Yep.

so, you think their not getting the information they want/need?

Nov 15, 2016 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tiff versus Raw

sjms wrote:
so, you think their not getting the information they want/need?

Well for one, Picture Controls are not passed through to Adobe Camera Raw.

I am sure Adobe have slicker workflow options than Nikon View NX-i or Capture NX-D but that doesn't also conclude their results are better. The access to the full Raw data embedded in a NEF file has been discussed and compared to quite some time, people just tend to go in the direction of what is fastest.

Nov 15, 2016 at 06:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tiff versus Raw

what makes you think you actually need to have those function controls? i don't even use those myself in camera.

discussions and comparisons, they are what they are.

i only use ACR when i can't get the results i wish out of DxO as it is.

Nov 15, 2016 at 08:31 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tiff versus Raw

Talking in this thread made me curious. So I started to look at what I do have.
Here they are in addition to CS6:

---3 copied of Nikon ViewNX2
---Nikon Software Suite
---Nikon Capture NX
---Nikon Capture NX2

---Adobe PS Lightroom 3 and 5

So which one would be the best to solve my situation with D500's RAW?

Nov 16, 2016 at 07:57 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:

---Nikon Software Suite
---Nikon Capture NX
---Nikon Capture NX2

I'd go for Nikon NX-D for starters

It's for free, so won't hurt your wallet if you decide to try something else later on

Nov 16, 2016 at 08:24 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tiff versus Raw

Paul_K wrote:
I'd go for Nikon NX-D for starters

It's for free, so won't hurt your wallet if you decide to try something else later on

You are right. I think I will do it. Is NX2 and NXD the same?

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:15 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tiff versus Raw

NXD installed. I want to use it just to open the raw file, minimal adjustment and then continue to work in CS6, that I am familiar with for many years.
I hope it works out that way.
Friends,thanks for all the help.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:11 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:
You are right. I think I will do it. Is NX2 and NXD the same?

NX2 is old and no longer supported, good albeit history now. NX-D is where you want to go.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:

---Nikon Software Suite
---Nikon Capture NX
---Nikon Capture NX2

Download Adobe's free DNG convertor. Convert your RAWs to DNG and then you can open the DNGs with virtually anything. I'm not sure if DNG's retain full DR/fidelity though. The DNG convertor can convert one file or a whole folder.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tiff versus Raw

As far as being 'locked in' to Adobe's CC, as I see it you are only 'locked in' if you are working with .PSD files and need full and future access to them - basically working in layers/composites and the like. Because there are alternatives when it comes to RAW processing.

My CC sub* is up in a few days and although I had considered solely relying on Canon's DPP, having Photoshop and Lightroom fully updated and fully functional for what is, in reality a pittance, considering how we waste money on an annual basis in a no brainer.

But if CC is not for you, as photographers we have full access to the full files - RAW - anyway by way of free OEM software from Nikon or Canon; and others. DPP, for one, may not be the most elegant software in terms of GUI, but at least you get to manage, process and publish your images.

If you are a JPEG shooter - there's myriad options.

*Adobe, how about bundling in Premiere Elements for another $40?

Nov 17, 2016 at 03:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password