New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tiff versus Raw

If I shoot and record in Tiff's files instead of RAW, do I lose any image quality?

Nov 14, 2016 at 07:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tiff versus Raw

It depends. Most raw files are a variation on the tiff format and some, like the Phase One medium format raws indeed are tiffs. If your camera shoots in camera tiffs, which is pretty rare these days, it will probably be only an 8 bit per channel tiff that is basically a tiff version of the jpeg it also produces. If you camera can actually produce 16 bpc non clipped tiffs, then you might not lose any image quality per se, but you will lose any of the control you would have had during a raw file conversion to tiff - and fill up your memory cards with huge files as well. I'd stick with the raws if I were you.

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:23 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tiff versus Raw

Peter Figen wrote:
It depends. Most raw files are a variation on the tiff format and some, like the Phase One medium format raws indeed are tiffs. If your camera shoots in camera tiffs, which is pretty rare these days, it will probably be only an 8 bit per channel tiff that is basically a tiff version of the jpeg it also produces. If you camera can actually produce 16 bpc non clipped tiffs, then you might not lose any image quality per se, but you will lose any of the control you would have had during a raw file conversion to
...Show more

The reason for this question was: I shoot D500. My CS6 can't open its raw's. I will have to convert D500's raw-files to DNG's . I found it cumbersome and time consuming.
Now D500 can store images in Tiff's.
I didn't know that there are more than one Tiff files..
How do I find out what kind of Tiff D500 has?

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tiff versus Raw

Open it in PS?
EBH

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tiff versus Raw

Oh. Then it's time to get on board the CC train and stop messing around with dng, or, better yet, go straight to Capture One and enjoy some of the best raw processing available. But seriously, ten bucks a month for the basic CC photo package can't be beat.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tiff versus Raw

EB-1 wrote:
Open it in PS?
EBH

opened in CS6. I can't find out if it is 8 or 16 bits. Where should I look?

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:57 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tiff versus Raw

Peter Figen wrote:
Oh. Then it's time to get on board the CC train and stop messing around with dng, or, better yet, go straight to Capture One and enjoy some of the best raw processing available. But seriously, ten bucks a month for the basic CC photo package can't be beat.

do you work for Nikon?
D500 forced me to buy Nikon brand batteries, now I might end up getting Capture one or CC photo, that I have been fighting off in the last few years.
Having said that, I am extremely happy with D500. It is the best camera for wildlife.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tiff versus Raw

1- you knew that if you stayed with CS6 that if you moved forward with and new cameras that it would not be supported by the raw conversion in CS6.
i use both CC and DxO for conversion.
2- supposedly the programming issue in some 3rd party batteries have been updated for use in the D500 and you can feel free to chase those down.

this is all "sweating" the small stuff.

did you update to the most recent firmware (1.11)?

used DxO for raw conversion finished in PScc

NIKON D500    16.0-80.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    27mm    8s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 15, 2016 at 12:08 AM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tiff versus Raw

sjms wrote:
1- you knew that if you stayed with CS6 that if you moved forward with and new cameras that it would not be supported by the raw conversion in CS6.
i use both CC and DxO for conversion.
2- supposedly the programming issue in some 3rd party batteries have been updated for use in the D500 and you can feel free to chase those down.

this is all "sweating" the small stuff.

I just looked at CC. Which one should I get?
-photography
-Single app.
---All apps

I only need for photography: Raw, edit, printing. I do not want to store on the web. I prefer my hard disk in my safe.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tiff versus Raw

the photographers package contains:
-Photoshop CC
-Lightroom CC

it is $9.95/Mo +plus applicable state, city and local sales tax for both

these will need to be downloaded, installed and updated via their CC App.

thats all you need.Adobe Photography

Edited on Nov 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tiff versus Raw

I have owned and used every version of Photoshop since the original software company was bought up by Adobe. But I am never going to go to a subscription application from Adobe. I do not want to have a computer rendered inoperable by something done by Adobe or others (as some found when a recent update was forced on users of Windows 10 and found Photoshop no longer worked).

With RAW I have 100% of the information captured by the camera and written to the file. I can change the white balance after the fact which I cannot do with a TIFF file.

I use several programs to convert Nikon RAW files to TIFF for processing. The 16-bit TIFF files take no more space than a PSD version of the file and TIFF is a public domain format, unlike PSD or DNG. Any graphics or press program can work with a TIFF file.

I bought a site license for CS6 for less than $600 and it is installed on our 6 computers. Going with CC instead we would be paying $720 a year this year and who knows how much next year or the year after that. Renting is never a smarter move than buying something outright for the consumer - terrific for the rentiers though.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tiff versus Raw

elkhornsun wrote:
I have owned and used every version of Photoshop since the original software company was bought up by Adobe. But I am never going to go to a subscription application from Adobe. I do not want to have a computer rendered inoperable by something done by Adobe or others (as some found when a recent update was forced on users of Windows 10 and found Photoshop no longer worked).

With RAW I have 100% of the information captured by the camera and written to the file. I can change the white balance after the fact which I cannot do with a
...Show more

What program do you use to convert Nikon aw to Tiff?
Like you hate the updates that they constantly force on us.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:42 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tiff versus Raw

Pardon my ignorance. What is dXo?

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tiff versus Raw

and what update was that? because mine works just fine. that would have been a biggie. but yet not a murmer about this event. could you direct us to it?

-well he still has CS6 and can always go back and discontinue the program and get an external RAW conversion utility.
- we've all been waiting for the other shoe to drop in the matter of the rental fee. it hasn't though. its not in their best interest to do it as there are other raw conversion and reasonable post products in place. there is a constant revenue stream as it stands. you know what greed can do in the end.

your particular situation is one thing. i have PScc installed in multiple machines in various locations (dormant until needed). i can have 2 active installs. for most individuals that is more than enough. and that is what we are referring to here not a commercial setup.

Edited on Nov 15, 2016 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:
Pardon my ignorance. What is dXo?

click on below
this is DxO

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tiff versus Raw

i did find a reference to something he might be referring to. it seems that microsoft updated something and nvidia did a video driver update and it affected some peoples computers. this of course was not a worldwide event. it also happened back in 2015 affected 1 program and was easily resolved.

i'm going to say this over and over. these thing can and will occur. fear and loathing is not the answer. understanding what you are doing helps a lot.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:18 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tiff versus Raw

sjms wrote:
click on below
this is DxO

So I can get the DXO for $120.00 and use it + CS6 and forget about CC, right?

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tiff versus Raw

there are of course 2 versions of DxO. the regular and the PRO version. if you are going to go through cameras the way it seems you do i do advise going for the PRO as it will support the upper end camera bodies. check carefully the supported cameras and lenses. there will be multiple free support updates within the version (currently v11). about every year there is a version update and that's approx $79. you have full access to all the updates that are supported within your version all the time. its like any other software product. there are also available extensions that also operate independently. other then the adobe setup as of now.

don't forget everyone has a different perspective on how things should, would, could, and are done.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:34 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tiff versus Raw

nugeny wrote:
The reason for this question was: I shoot D500. My CS6 can't open its raw's. I will have to convert D500's raw-files to DNG's . I found it cumbersome and time consuming.
Now D500 can store images in Tiff's.
I didn't know that there are more than one Tiff files..
How do I find out what kind of Tiff D500 has?

There is another way to open your D500 raw file in CS6, if you have Lightroom. Open the raw file in LR, then right-click on it. Choose "open in" and pick CS6. LR will offer you a couple of choices, such as "open with LR changes" or "open a copy". Make your choice and the file opens in CS6.

This allows me to use both the LR and PS perpetual versions, without having to pay monthly rent to Adobe.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:49 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tiff versus Raw

frdjohns wrote:
There is another way to open your D500 raw file in CS6, if you have Lightroom. Open the raw file in LR, then right-click on it. Choose "open in" and pick CS6. LR will offer you a couple of choices, such as "open with LR changes" or "open a copy". Make your choice and the file opens in CS6.

This allows me to use both the LR and PS perpetual versions, without having to pay monthly rent to Adobe.

this may be an option. LR "perpetual?" how long will they update the raw conversion or every time I buy a new camera, I will have to buy a new version?

Nov 15, 2016 at 01:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password