New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

It makes a chittering sound, apparently as it makes micro adjustments in AF while in AFC and my thumb is pressing the rear AF button on this D500. It makes the same sound with my D610.

The 200-500 does not make any sound at all.

Why does the 80-400 AFS make this chatter when autofocusing ? It is not the VR.

Does your 80-400 AFS do it too?

Thank you

Robert

Nov 14, 2016 at 02:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

They've always chattered. I returned one once because of that thinking it was broken. Then as more people owned the lens I started reading how common it was. So I ignore it now.

Nov 14, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Vcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

put it on a tripod and see if it does it. My expectation is it's constantly making adjustments for your movement. I have lenses that do this.

Nov 14, 2016 at 02:15 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

ckcarr wrote:
They've always chattered. I returned one once because of that thinking it was broken. Then as more people owned the lens I started reading how common it was. So I ignore it now.

Yup...I needed to hear that and I was hoping you would say it. I have ignored it for all this time so I guess I'll continue...thanks

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:39 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Vcook wrote:
put it on a tripod and see if it does it. My expectation is it's constantly making adjustments for your movement. I have lenses that do this.

Interesting...I'll try it, though I really do not care now I find it is normal. Thanks.

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:41 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

What other lenses is this "normal" for?

I recently got my hands on a 300 f4 AFS (not the PF) which seems to be quite talkative when focussing.

C

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:16 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

If you aren't on a tripod the VR is going to be compensating for your movements.

Nov 18, 2016 at 07:22 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

It chatters like a gossipy old woman when you hand-hold it. I think all lenses make minor adjustments like that, it's just that this one is particularly vocal.

Nov 18, 2016 at 09:19 AM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Yes, mine nervously chatters as well, that gives it a lot of character.
But I don't care as this lens AF is very fast and accurate.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:02 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Thank you.

Nov 19, 2016 at 06:47 AM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

I no longer own the 80-400G AF-S VR lens. But when I owned and used it, it also chattered a lot, especially in AF-C mode - like it was anticipating or looking for subject movement when none existed. What I noticed is that in AF-S mode, it would not do that.

Nov 19, 2016 at 06:49 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

James Farrell wrote:
I no longer own the 80-400G AF-S VR lens. But when I owned and used it, it also chattered a lot, especially in AF-C mode - like it was anticipating or looking for subject movement when none existed. What I noticed is that in AF-S mode, it would not do that.

Thank you.

You are right, in AF-S, its makes one AF decision and in order to get another one, you have to re-press the AF button. So, in AF-S, it is one press....one AF decision only.

But in AF-C, as long as the AF button is pressed, it will continually make AF decisions.

I found that out the hard way when I had it on AF-S and was expecting it to constantly make AF decisions for me on cormorants. I could not figure out why the D500 repeatedly would not come up with a sharp image on moving cormorants, even though each time it looked sharp in the viewfinder when I released the shutter. I finally discovered that I inadvertently had rotated the selector from AF-C to AF-S. When I put it back to AF-C the D500 was again getting sharp images of these birds.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Willy Y.
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

I finally sent mine in to nikon for the chatter. They supposedly made some af motor adjustments, but it still chatters just the same. Oddly, mine chatters way less on my old d300 than it does on the d800.

Dec 26, 2016 at 04:59 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

i have a 300f2.8 vrii that doesnt chatter 1 bit, but my 500f4d af-s ll chatters like crazy.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Mine did it with my D300 and D700, but once I got the D500 it pretty much stopped doing it.

Jan 03, 2017 at 03:01 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

This thread and all of the individual reports of AF chatter, goes a long ways toward reassuring me that my copy of the lens is OK and doesn't need to be sent in, since mine does indeed chatter like crazy at times.. Thanks

Jan 10, 2017 at 06:02 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Just thought I'd let you all know what Nikon did to my 80-400. Well even after reading this thread many times I still decided to send my 80-400 back to Nikon Repair since it was still under warranty. I just got it back today and here is what they said they did:

Replaced Focusing Mechanism
Replaced CAM Ring
Replaced Rubber Ring
Adj. Auto Focus Operation
Checked VR Unit
Checked Infinity Focus
Checked Aperture Operation
Checked Zooming Mechanism
General Check and Cleaned

I'll be checking it out myself tomorrow and see if there is any differences after this repair.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

It is ridiculous that Nikon can't make these lenses so they do not chatter, just like other brands.

And it is annoying that neither Nikon nor the retailers inform prospective customers about the clicking. Do they prefer buyers contact them and ask what is wrong with their lens that it makes this noise?

What do they have inside that has to make that noise, a gear ratcheting back and forth? Seems to me the Canon 100-400 II focuses faster, and certainly quieter.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:13 PM
multibit
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

Mine chatters with both D500 and D850 , for the prices it's certainly not one of Nikons best lenses imo

Apr 24, 2018 at 02:07 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 80-400 AFS makes a "chittering" sound when it is autofocusing

The one I owned was a very talkative lens on my D7100 and D7200. I parted ways with it before acquiring the D500 so I can't say for sure how it would behave but I'd suspect it'd do it even more considering the beast mode AF the D500 has.

Apr 24, 2018 at 02:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.