FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rookie Lava Shots

Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rookie Lava Shots

I was fortunate enough to join Tom Kualii, Bruce Omori, Ryan Dyar and Miles Morgan on a lava tour on the Big Island last month. I'd never seen lava flowing before and it was probably the most difficult thing I've tried to photograph, so I was very happy to have help from these 4. Tom and Bruce welcomed us 4 participants into their ohana, kept us safe (after suitable intimidating us with stories of hapless tourists who died out there looking for the lava flows) and set us up in good positions in which to shoot. It was a surreal experience, enhanced by lack of sleep and supplemented by good food.

The first shot was from helicopter (another first for me).

The 2nd is from the delta. It seemed particularly dark that morning (we met at the hotel at 1am and were probably walking by 2am), walking on the black pahoehoe flows with lots of steam from the lava coming up, mostly obscuring the views. I felt like we should be returning the Ring to Mordor. The steam would part just long enough to tease us. I know that some of you will say that this shot is soft, but I was shooting through the steam & heat distortions. Everybody else was packed up & starting to leave. I really wanted a shot from here, so stubbornly stayed until the steam parted just enough as the sun came up &, along with the reflections from the lava, painted the steam this wonderful color.

#3 is an abstract, shot from land

#4 Was with both borrowed lens and tripod/ballhead. I had decided to give myself a break & not carry my Sigma 150-600mm S that morning to make myself shoot wider landscape shots. But these guys all brought extra gear for people to use (nobody needed to bring a back-up body, and Bruce had a prototype RRS set-up for people to try. And they even carried peoples gear if it was too heavy for them!).

#5 yes, it's soft. Another aerial. Useable? Let me know what you think.

C&C, please. These are my 1st edits.

Nov 14, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rookie Lava Shots

Sorry, didn't re-size some of them, so they're hard to see. Still learning. My apologies. (also don't know how to edit a post, apparently)

and there's a last, obligatory Milky Way shot

Nov 14, 2016 at 01:26 PM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rookie Lava Shots

beautiful set from out there

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:10 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rookie Lava Shots

Thanks, erielake!

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:31 AM
mullysr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rookie Lava Shots

I like all of them Monika. They convey the power of the flow very well.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rookie Lava Shots

Thanks, mullysr!

Nov 15, 2016 at 05:22 PM
tomkualii
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rookie Lava Shots

Awesome shots.....Like it. Very close!!!

Jul 28, 2017 at 06:00 AM
dghyams

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rookie Lava Shots

These are really great shots! I was there last year just before the lava hit the ocean (meaning hours before; it hit at about 2am and we left at 10pm ) None of my shots are as good as yours.

I like #2 and #4 the best (in the original post).

In #2, what do you think it would look like if you dropped off a little below the curve that lies below the lava hot spot?

In #4, that's a shot to die for. I can't help feeling like the postprocessing could be a little improved to remove the greenish tint that is most prevalent in the foreground.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rookie Lava Shots

Beautiful set Monika! #4 and #5 are my favorite compositions from the series.
Best,
Fred

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rookie Lava Shots

Nice images! I really like images 3 and 4 of your set.
Keith W.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.