New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Forever connected

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forever connected

Took this shot last Friday on Veterans Day while out shooting one of the many forest fires that are ravaging the entire South east right now. Sadly, this particular fire is at Table Rock where I had recently posted a set of sunrise shots a few weeks ago.

When I saw this gentleman walk up I knew there was a great shot about to happen. I readied my camera and waited. I did not anticipate the "alignment" at the time but was excited to see him do that when I snapped. I processed this in color and it looked nice but not until I converted it to mono did it really shine.

In hindsight, I wish I would have stopped down more to get both better in focus.

His smile made my day as I shook his hand and thanked him a few moments later.

I have many more pertaining to just the fire that I might post but felt this one needed to be presented on it's own for your critique.

Dave

Forever connected

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forever connected

Anticipation, timing, presence and perhaps some serendipity all came together to capture this very interesting moment

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:03 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forever connected

Thanks Rick. I'll take serendipity any day.

Heck, now that I think about it, that's probably how I get most of my "not so bad" shots.

Dave

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forever connected

Serendipity is a part ... but, really this all started in your head before you snapped the shutter. You saw this one coming from a country mile away. I believe that is referred to as "vision".

As to the greater DOF for the bird ... nope, you nailed it just as is. THE subject is the veteran. The bird is plenty clear enough for us to see it just fine, and the "natural dof" gives it a proper sense of distance, imo.

I might look at cropping away the little tree on the far right ... but it's not a big deal. You caught the moment in time that can now stand for eternity ... message sent, message received.

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forever connected

Nice as is, but any merit to a color version also?

Steve

Nov 14, 2016 at 09:06 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forever connected

RustyBug wrote:
Serendipity is a part ... but, really this all started in your head before you snapped the shutter. You saw this one coming from a country mile away. I believe that is referred to as "vision".

As to the greater DOF for the bird ... nope, you nailed it just as is. THE subject is the veteran. The bird is plenty clear enough for us to see it just fine, and the "natural dof" gives it a proper sense of distance, imo.

I might look at cropping away the little tree on the far right ... but it's not a big
...Show more

Thanks Kent! This type of shooting is way outside my normal slow paced type shooting where I have more time to think. I was wheeling around both of my camera rigs (5DII + 16-35 f/4 and 70D + 100-400II) switching back and forth between them depending on the shot about to take place. I have never done this before and was feeling a bit out of place to say the least. I have new found respect for photojournalist now.
Wow! Not my cup of tea but it was fun trying and learning a bit.

I couldn't believe his lean matching up with the bird like that. Talk about a strong subconscious connection. I couldn't help but smile when I saw him do that as he was shooting with his camera.

BTW, I forgot to thank YOU Kent for your service.
Thank you!

Dave

---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:
Nice as is, but any merit to a color version also?

Steve

Thanks Steve. Your wish is my command.
As you know, I'm almost always a color guy and I started to process this shot in color but when I switched it to mono just to see, I felt it really came to life and became stronger. Very unusual for me to think that so I'm thinking I made a good choice.

Would like to hear what you and the others think about the mono vs this color version.

Dave

Color version

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:26 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forever connected

Wonderful shot Dave, you timed it perfectly . I definitely prefer the black and white also. I may consider cropping or cloning the branches out that are sticking into the right edge.

Nov 16, 2016 at 08:43 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forever connected

It's a great capture. And I agree with the others and Kent in particular: the DOF is fine and appropriate for the subject.
I prefer the BW, giving more of a reminiscent quality. Typically I would have knee-jerked to say "increase the contrast", which of course is a subjective call anyhow. But the contrast is right not only because it is a misty low contrast scene, but again matches the processing to an older look.
Good work Dave, and yes, vision (or pre-vision + serendipity if you like)
Scott

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:05 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forever connected

DaleBerlin wrote:
Wonderful shot Dave, you timed it perfectly . I definitely prefer the black and white also. I may consider cropping or cloning the branches out that are sticking into the right edge.

Thanks Dale. And yep, I agree on the right branches that Kent and you pointed out. I missed it on the B&W OP but corrected it on the color version.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
It's a great capture. And I agree with the others and Kent in particular: the DOF is fine and appropriate for the subject.
I prefer the BW, giving more of a reminiscent quality. Typically I would have knee-jerked to say "increase the contrast", which of course is a subjective call anyhow. But the contrast is right not only because it is a misty low contrast scene, but again matches the processing to an older look.
Good work Dave, and yes, vision (or pre-vision + serendipity if you like)
Scott

Thanks Scott. I have never struggled with contrast like I have processing all the images from that day. The smoke would go from super thick and blocked out the sun completely to a thin haze in just a few minutes.

And trying to figure out WB from one shot to the next is even more problematic and is by far the biggest nightmare I have ever had to deal with. I have come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong WB in an environment like this. It was all over the place due to the sun and smoke.

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forever connected

Your WB choice ... is a choice you make relative to your message. Show us what you want us to see ... cool, warm or neutral.

Nov 16, 2016 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.