Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

I got the wired one sine I intended its use with my Wacom cintiq and it has a USB port on it.i doubt either would give you a problem you have to download the powermate software to be able to setup the commands for it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:16 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

Strictly FYI. I just stumbled on this and some professional folks with high volume workflows might be interested. I'm sticking to the mouse and it's little scroll wheel for now...

http://palettegear.com/lightroom

Dec 27, 2016 at 04:15 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

artificialyello wrote:
Strictly FYI. I just stumbled on this and some professional folks with high volume workflows might be interested. I'm sticking to the mouse and it's little scroll wheel for now...

http://palettegear.com/lightroom

I'm using the Logitech G502 mouse, numerous keys that can be programmed. The mouse wheel it self can be nudged left or right as a click, so helpful in moving to the next picture without using my left hand which really speeds up things. A few other buttons could be programmed, like a thumb button to reject a photo. A decent mouse for $50.

Dec 27, 2016 at 05:24 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

adamx12m wrote:
I'm using the Logitech G502 mouse, numerous keys that can be programmed. The mouse wheel it self can be nudged left or right as a click, so helpful in moving to the next picture without using my left hand which really speeds up things. A few other buttons could be programmed, like a thumb button to reject a photo. A decent mouse for $50.

Cool gear! I think that I have an old gaming mouse laying around somewhere. Maybe I should try to bring it back to life!

Edit: I use USB Overdrive to map the buttons.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/99l9kxggu81la47/usboverdrive.png

Dec 27, 2016 at 05:42 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

I found the more simplistic option I was hoping for ... although it came as a result of filling another need.

I have been editing much more video in the past couple of years and really wanted to find a jog/shuttle solution to simplify my NLE workflow. Using a mouse or touch pad for fine-tuning edits was less than desirable compared to what I had used back in the Olden Days of tape decks. I found the Contour Design ShuttleXpress ($59) to work very well for that.

It has the normal jog/shuttle dials as well as 5 other buttons that can be programmed to whatever commands the individual user requires and comes with packaged configurations for almost all the popular video, photo and even word processing apps ... all those presets can be customized or even create totally new sets. The buttons can also be configured to run more complex macros instead of the usual keyboard commands.

They also make a big brother version, ShuttlePRO v2 - $99) that has 15 buttons along with the jog/shuttle, but I thought for my needs that was overkill. I like to keep things simple.

As it turns out, when I was setting up the device for Final Cut Pro X, It already has a configuration for Lightroom and Photoshop. I wasn't to impressed with the defaults for Lightroom so I made some changes to suit my needs.

Best part, you can configure the device for all you different apps and when you switch apps, the device is aware of the change and honors the desired configuration.

There is one caveat for working in Lightroom in the Develop module, the most efficient method is actually using a two-hand method. ShuttleXpress in left hand and mouse/touch pad/pen tablet in the right hand. For any slider in Lr if you place the cursor over any slider, you can adjust the slider with the jog wheel. When you move to the next image, the jog wheel does not require being reset back to a neutral point.

In Lightroom, even though the jog wheel can adjust the desired slider in Develop, when in the Library module, the jog will navigate columns of images vertically and the shuttle dial will navigate rows horizontally (with wrap-around). Quite neat that it recognizes the currently used module.

I've only been working with it a couple of days, but so far I really like it.

The devices are available at all the usual online retailers but here is the manufacturer's site:

http://www.contourdesign.com/US/product/shuttlexpress/

Jan 06, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

There is one more Photo Editing Console for Lightroom. It's called Loupedeck. ($300)
Available Aug. 2017.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1306243-REG/loupedeck_loupedeck_photo_editing_console.html

Feb 10, 2017 at 07:07 PM
Keystone9800

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

First, I appreciate all of the information in this thread and apologize in advance if I missed the answer to the question I am about to ask.

My BCF-2000 arrived this morning, I installed MIDI2LR and also changed the button profile to single press from the default toggle on/off ( from Kerim Razack https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/midi2lr/o_3LsTLFzCE/wqx8T34yAwAJ)

I am slowly mapping each slider/button and ran into a problem with temperature slider to one of the BCF2000 knobs or sliders. My issue is that the minimum increment is about 300K, which is much more change.

For those of you using a BCF2000, how did you set up temperature? Do you get a more precise adjustment/scaling? I have read some cryptic (i.e., over my head) posts on the MIDI2LR website about NRPN format facilitating finer tuning. Can the BCR2000 be set to NRPN? Even if it can, does that create other problems?

I was also a little disappointed that the MIDI2LR only came with one "starter" template. Has anyone found other profiles on the web to kick start their mapping process?

Any tips or advice? (beyond what Mike has already provided and which are much appreciated..thank you)

Feb 11, 2017 at 09:57 PM
PerTulip

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

I got a Behringer BCF-2000 dirt cheap off eBay and set it up with PFixer. This device has sped up my workflow by several magnitudes!

Feb 12, 2017 at 01:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

I went cheap until loupedeck hit the streets this summer. I bought a jogwheel and use it to manipulate the sliders

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:45 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

I do not use LR but Windows user that do may want to look at Paddy for their Midi controller for LR
https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68/

The author uses a BCF200

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Keystone9800

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

MikeEvangelist's initial post motivated me to push forward with a physical controller, and I wanted to provide a recap in case that helps others.

- Purchased Behringer BCF-2000 (new from Amazon but thought about shopping eBay)

- Downloaded BC Manager (and donated). Used this software to reprogram all of the BCF buttons to one touch, and to reprogram the middle/right set of buttons (edit store learn exit) so they would be available other settings of my (presets or LR keys)

- Downloaded MIDI2LR (and donated) and used this very easy interface to program each button and slider to an LR function/slider or preset.

- Used MikeEvangilist excel template as a rough guide as to which functions I wanted to be available on the BCF-2000

- Purchased a Logitech G900 and programmed the two buttons on the left side to scroll through the Basic LR options (Temp Tint Contrast Highlights Shadows Whites Blacks Clarity Vibrance Saturation) and the scroll wheel left/right click to increase or decrease +/- the level of that selected function. For example, I click one of the left buttons until Temp is highlighed in LR and the push the scroll wheel left or right to increase or decrease the Temp slider in LR, by 50K. I also programmed the right side buttons to advance to or go back to the next photo.

WORKFLOW:
- use Photo Mechanic (PM) to do the initial "Tagging" directly off the CF card. - I create a folder in PM for that game/shoot and copy Tagged photos to that folder.
- use LR to import the folder, create 1:1 previews, change file names to describe the event ('Mesquite HS Away - 1.cr2 for example) and add Keywords that are universal to this set.
- use mouse and keyboard to run through photos and either reject it or crop it.
- Once the photo set has been narrowed down to those that I want to edit further, I shift to the BCF-2000 and make these PP adjustments, in LR Develop mode. I use the mouse for Temp settings because I haven't yet spent the time to understand how to better scale Temp on the BCF slider. The mouse allows me to make 50K incremental changes, but the BCF slider moves in 400K increments. I have had some good advice from other FMers on how to fix this but haven't had time to implement yet. I also use the keyboard or mouse to advance to next photo.

I have processed about 2000 photos in the last two weeks with this system, and I am glad I did this. Yes, I could have done it cheaper or more elegantly, but I am happy with the setup, and I will make changes to the BCF and my workflow process, over time.

Thanks to all have contributed to this idea and helped me along the way. I am a big fan of the FM community.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

X-Touch Mini is the way to go. IMO, the BCF-2000 is totally overkill unless you need a dial/slider/button for everything in Lightroom.

Also keep in mind, the 8 spinning dials and 16 buttons on the X-Touch can double because the board/software supports two "layers".

Feb 22, 2017 at 08:07 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Physical knobs for Lightroom controls (using MIDI controller)

Waking this thread up, just ordered an X-Touch Compact. Overkill, yes, but I also do some music recording and editing so it'll work nicely for that as well. You guys still happy with your setups?

Jul 24, 2019 at 02:23 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.