Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

Googling around, it seemed that Nikon used to use a serial number starting with "3" to denote a US market body. Is this still a valid way of identifying US market current bodies?

Thanks

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:32 AM
conrad2nr
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

It helps but isn't totally the case.

Depending on the body you may have a "Nikon USA" sticker inside the battery compartment.

Short of that, call Nikon and ask them if they can repair xxxxxxx serial number.

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:47 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

Thanks a lot. It's not one of mine, but a used body I'm looking at, claimed to be US without any paperwork or receipt. I'll try Nikon if I can get the whole serial. It seems a little fishy.

Nov 13, 2016 at 02:54 AM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

Nikon won't tell you over the phone. They will say you have to send it in to be evaluated. A lot of people genuinely have no idea what they bought.

What's the body? Could be it's one they service no matter the country of origin now.

Nov 13, 2016 at 08:40 AM
jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

la puffin wrote:
Googling around, it seemed that Nikon used to use a serial number starting with "3" to denote a US market body. Is this still a valid way of identifying US market current bodies?

Thanks

"2" or "3" in serial number doesn't necessarily tell intended country for selling; the model number followed by "(U)" above the barcode on the box says it's for US market. For Japan, "(JP)" would be there. Also, the box contains a warranty card with Nikon US address. I own a D4s purchased locally from Best Buy retail store whose serial number starts with 2006*** and does not have a "Nikon USA" sticker inside battery compartment.

On a related note (if future repairs is the concern), Nikon now allows certain camera models, including grey market D4s and D810 (http://nikonrumors.com/2016/05/16/great-news-you-can-now-repair-some-nikon-grey-market-cameras-at-third-party-us-repair-facilities.aspx/), to be serviced in the US by third party service centers: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/nikon-authorized-repair-list.page

Not related, but even the Nikon lenses for US market no longer carry "US" in their serial numbers as they used to in past.

Nov 13, 2016 at 09:00 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

Well, rely on nothing but original paperwork.

You can look in the battery compartment for a little oval USA sticker, but as other's have said, you will never be 100% sure until you send it in for repair. Of course, it may never need a repair either.

I find it peculiar these days when paperwork cannot (at least) be re-printed). I can access my Amazon orders, B&H and Adorama orders several years back and print duplicate invoices.

What body?

Nov 13, 2016 at 09:12 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

When I spoke to Nikon about a D750 they said they could only tell if it was a USA camera, meaning sold by an authorized Nikon reseller, upon opening it up and that if it was a grey market or import camera they would not repair it or make any recall fixes.

I would not recommend buying a used Nikon camera unless the seller could provide the invoice showing where it was bought originally and then I would verify that the dealer was a Nikon authorized seller.

Lots of people selling cameras with the paperwork so no need to settle for less.

Nov 14, 2016 at 02:54 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Identify US or Grey Body By Serial #?

"...........When I spoke to Nikon about a D750 they said they could only tell if it was a USA camera, meaning sold by an authorized Nikon reseller, upon opening it up and that if it was a grey market or import camera they would not repair it or make any recall fixes. " this from Elkhornson.

This is EXACTLY what I was told by a senior support person at Nikon Melville. They have to open it and look at the parts inside. That is how bad it has gotten.

Nov 17, 2016 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.